the "ask an asian" thread.

mizanation

why do japanese people have such horrible teeth compared to other asians? i'm talking real japanese from japan not japanese americans.

japanese people have great teeth. you are reconjuring a stereotype from generations past.

anyway if you wanna about why grills was fucked back in the old days, it was because their was a fluoride embargo.

nah i don't mean yellow or plaquey or dirty. i mean totally crooked and stuff.

basically women and males serfs had fucked up teeth in japan. not the affluent. this was because if bitches and beta males would mouth off or try to speak when not spoken too, the superior class would have them punched in the mouth (fuck up their teeth). it was a sign of social class. having this stigma made them try to hide it, their teeth. and it kept them silent. they silently obeyed that is.

that was pretty good, huh?

nah it was probably because back then it wasn't a big deal. just like how it wasn't a big deal in britain i suppose.

basically women and males serfs had fucked up teeth in japan. not the affluent. this was because if bitches and beta males would mouth off or try to speak when not spoken too, the superior class would have them punched in the mouth (fuck up their teeth). it was a sign of social class. having this stigma made them try to hide it, their teeth. and it kept them silent. they silently obeyed that is.

that was pretty good, huh?

nah it was probably because back then it wasn't a big deal. just like how it wasn't a big deal in britain i suppose.

in reality, that's probably a totally legit answer.

• 2 months later...

I actually get confused for Japanese.. by the Japanese. one man started actually just speaking it fluently and I'm like sumimasen..wakarimasen..

others just ask.

I also get asked if I'm Chinese and uh...yes? then they start speaking fluent mandarin and I'm like "auh boochee douw gor yu" then they're like you are Chinese but don't speak Chinese??

CANTONESE is Chinese :mad::mad:

what's hilarious is my coworker is a Japanese lady and this one Japanese customer she was helping told me, "wow, her Japanese is excellent!" I'm like, "what do you mean it's excellent? of course it is, she's Japanese..from oosaka.."

him, "really?? I thought she was tawainese!!"

I don't understand how this Mandarin/Cantonese trade off works. I've heard mostly from Cantonese speakers that if you fluent Cantonese Mandarin is easier to understand vice verca

shit. forgot what I was going to say

I always get like "Hmong?" because there are hella Hmongs in the area I go to school.

whitney can you like at least understand a little bit of Mandarin? I speak Mandarin and my parents speak Cantonese to eachother so I don't know if that is why I understand a lot of it. A lot of the words in Mandarin sound close as fuck, maybe toned down a little.

scais, you Thai? Thai that aren't hella dark are dead ringer for Vietnamese to me :/

But luckily not philipino.

For me, I mention something about church or Lent or w/e..

"Oh, I didn't know you were Catholic."

"Well, most Filipinos are."

"Oh wow, you're Filipino?"

then I feel good about myself. :o

it's true some words are basically the same or sound very similar but for the most part no. I tried mandarin school, private lessons..even had a boss that barely spoke English and only fluent mandarin for four years but shit won't take..I guess I just don't have the heart. with Cantonese I kinda have to cos my mom and dad speaks it fluently..

most Chinese in San francisco also speaks Cantonese mainly..or used to anyways. times are changing.

it's true some words are basically the same or sound very similar but for the most part no. I tried mandarin school, private lessons..even had a boss that barely spoke English and only fluent mandarin for four years but shit won't take..I guess I just don't have the heart. with Cantonese I kinda have to cos my mom and dad speaks it fluently..

most Chinese in San francisco also speaks Cantonese mainly..or used to anyways. times are changing.

yeah. frisco doesn't have a lot of those dialect/province based elitist types though right? I mean hella Mandarin speaking Taiwanese thinking they are like some transcended class azn (my whole mother's side). I didn't even know there were those Cantonese elitists since my dad's side stays humble and shit. I only met a few this year.

naw those are down over in palo alto area.

to be fair not all are elite snobby acting folks.

but for the most part yes. it was really hard to eat with the boss cos I'm always scared my food will have spit in it. he was never patient, always like where's my food!! after five minutes the waitress took our order.. and while he makes bank he's a lousy tipper. I refuse to go to the same restaurant twice with him but sometimes it can't be helped.

what takes the cake, friends of my mom that goes back to China to visit relatives, they ask me what products are made in USA..their relatives won't like things made in China??

yeah, coincidentally a lot of my Taiwanese side lives in Palo Alto. I don't know about the Chinese stingyness thing...these Taiwanese people eat at home like they are some college students, but when we went to Vegas, my uncle bought my aunt a 800$ Burberry purse like nothing

anyways they stingy when it comes to shit that can be found for cheaper or not necessary. when it comes to things like school, they will dish the cash FAST

i miss you whitney can i sleep with you when we meet up in hk?

I'm no homewrecker

yeah, coincidentally a lot of my Taiwanese side lives in Palo Alto. I don't know about the Chinese stingyness thing...these Taiwanese people eat at home like they are some college students, but when we went to Vegas, my uncle bought my aunt a 800$ Burberry purse like nothing

anyways they stingy when it comes to shit that can be found for cheaper or not necessary. when it comes to things like school, they will dish the cash FAST

yessssss

then again Chinese pple are always looking out to get the best deal. he'll spend good money for food but why tip more then ten percent? x.x