the "ask an asian" thread.

mizanation

Actually, maybe thats why Asians are skinnier than us western fatties, it takes so long to eat their plate of rice, they get bored and give up before fully nourished.

Just because it's difficult for you to use chopsticks does not mean Asians also have the same issues.

Traditionally a competent Chinese male who eats his rice puts the bowl to his mouth and uses the pinch-and-scoop technique. The notion of giving up before being fully nourished is just on some ignant shit.

On a side note: are forks and spoons at all commonplace in Asia? I imagine in a rural setting the chance of me landing a fork or spoon would be slim to nil. But If i went to visit a restaurant in a capital city, would I see any?

They would notice right away you're a 'gweilo' and drop a fork on your table... then laugh and say something under their breath as they walk away.

Answer: yes, for the white people.

in that case -rep for you and +rep for Thailand and the Philipines.

HAHAHA! you are already in the red, you silly little ignoramus!

therefore, by pythagorus theorem, when you neg rep me, you actually positive rep me! didn't know that, huh???

but seriously.

this thread is for people to learn more about the exotic creatures called asians. that fact that you learned something today, makes it all worth it.

Just because it's difficult for you to use chopsticks does not mean Asians also have the same issues.

Traditionally a competent Chinese male who eats his rice puts the bowl to his mouth and uses the pinch-and-scoop technique. The notion of giving up before being fully nourished is just on some ignant shit.

They would notice right away you're a 'gweilo' and drop a fork on your table... then laugh and say something under their breath as they walk away.

You specifically said chinese males. Are women less proficient at the art of chopstickery?

Asians using chopsticks is like Penn and Teller to me, i know they know how to use it, but i think the fact still remains that the scoop is easier than the pinch and grab.

The nourishment, i thought, was obviously a joke.

Thanks for the insight. im brignign my own knife and fork.

No they won't poison your fork... I promise.

As far as gender differences go, typically the head of the household holds the chopsticks in a higher position... where as women and children will choke up on the chopsticks for a better grip. This is less practical and more of an old-wive's tale to go along with the holding of the chopsticks.

culture, think about noodles. you can only grab so much with a fork (however many strands of noodles can fit between the fork teeth or whatever you call it) but with chopsticks, you can fit however many strands you want between the two sticks.

i see where you're going with the whole 'scoop' thing...which is why koreans use both spoon and chopstick

But you still have to pinch the rice regardless of whether its in a bowl or a plate. When gathering food stuffs, scooping is such a far superior method to pinching it blows my mind that people still choose chopsticks.

Is there any advantage the chopstick has over a spoon, fork or the multi functional spork? Unless you're playing a small game of billiards with wasabi peas, i don't see any possible benefit. Actually, maybe thats why Asians are skinnier than us western fatties, it takes so long to eat their plate of rice, they get bored and give up before fully nourished.

On a side note: are forks and spoons at all commonplace in Asia? I imagine in a rural setting the chance of me landing a fork or spoon would be slim to nil. But If i went to visit a restaurant in a capital city, would I see any?

i find it nice and ironic that your username is culture and that you live in potentially the most diverse city in the world.

That actually happened to my friends when I brought them to this basement restaurant in Boston Chinatown. The server asked them if they wanted forks, and they said no. They were so bad at using chopsticks that the server eventually came back and put a fork and knife on each of their plates.

Also, I wouldn't call using chopsticks + bowl "pinch and scoop". It's more "shoveling" really.

That actually happened to my friends when I brought them to this basement restaurant in Boston Chinatown. The server asked them if they wanted forks, and they said no. They were so bad at using chopsticks that the server eventually came back and put a fork and knife on each of their plates.

Is it the one with the liquor bar in the front? Ate their with Icarus.... that shit was doooopppppe.

Also, I wouldn't call using chopsticks + bowl "pinch and scoop". It's more "shoveling" really.

U CARRIN MEEH A SABAGE?

Yeah... for the neat and dainty maybe pinch and scoop applies... but yeah shoveling is more appropriate.

culture, think about noodles. you can only grab so much with a fork (however many strands of noodles can fit between the fork teeth or whatever you call it) but with chopsticks, you can fit however many strands you want between the two sticks.

When using noodles, we dont use the scoop method. We utilize the twist method. With this method you can potentially twist up an entire pot of noodles on a single fork.

Fork & Spoon: 2

Chopstick: 0

i see where you're going with the whole 'scoop' thing...which is why koreans use both spoon and chopstick

+rep koreans

Once again there's a huge difference in how efficient chopsticks are depending on whether or not you know how to use them properly.

I prefer chopsticks for noodles over fork and spoon, but that's probably because I'm a racist.

but wouldnt you rather just pickup the entire bowl of noodles in a single motion with chopsticks instead of having to sti there and twist your fork in various motions? it takes more effort

Thats true, the twist method is less efficient. However, the dangling noodles from the chopstick will hit your chin and get soya sauce all over you, while the twist method leaves a sharp clean sphere of noodle perfect to mess-free eating.

Lets call this one a draw.

This just in:

A 2003 study found that regular use of chopsticks may slightly increase the risk of osteoarthritis in the hand, a condition where cartilage gets worn off, leading to pain in the hand joints, particularly among the elderly.[2] There have also been concerns regarding the use of certain white disposable chopsticks that may pose a health risk, causing coughing or even leading to asthma. [3]

A 2006 Hong Kong Department of Health survey has found that the proportion of people using serving chopsticks, spoons or other serving utensils has increased from 46% to 65% since the SARS outbreak in 2003.[5]

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Chopsticks#Medical_problems

if i can be serious here.

culture, i just think you don't know how deep the game gets with chopsticks. there's a ton of things you can do with sticks that you can't do with forks.

you mentioned that you could pick up a whole bowlful of noodles with a fork. i fail to see how this is useful. with chopsticks, you pick up as many noodles as you need. they are made out of wood (usually) so they don't burn your mouth. also, when you eat noodles with chopsticks, you can keep pinching the noodles and moving them into your mouth, so you can eat entire stands of noodles. you can't do this with a fork.

when you are picking up something out of a bowl, like a chunk of meat or a vegetable, you can pick up the morsel with the chopsticks with one hand. with a fork, you stab and then you need a spoon to unload it to your plate. with a spoon, you can scoop, but your food is liable to drop off the spoon. with chopsticks you have total control.

get it now?

here's another theory about chopsticks:

The Chopstick Theory of Scientific Supremacy goes like this: Koreans eat with narrow, metal chopsticks. Nabbing grains of rice with slippery, steel sticks requires a surgeon's dexterity. That's why Koreans have mastered extraordinarily precise "micromanipulation" of eggs and embryos required for stem-cell and cloning research. Westerners with their clunky forks—and even other Asians with their thick, grippy wooden chopsticks—can't hope to compete with the dexterous Koreans.

perhaps convenience isn't always the best thing.

if i can be serious here.

culture, i just think you don't know how deep the game gets with chopsticks. there's a ton of things you can do with sticks that you can't do with forks.

you mentioned that you could pick up a whole bowlful of noodles with a fork. i fail to see how this is useful. with chopsticks, you pick up as many noodles as you need. they are made out of wood (usually) so they don't burn your mouth. also, when you eat noodles with chopsticks, you can keep pinching the noodles and moving them into your mouth, so you can eat entire stands of noodles. you can't do this with a fork.

when you are picking up something out of a bowl, like a chunk of meat or a vegetable, you can pick up the morsel with the chopsticks with one hand. with a fork, you stab and then you need a spoon to unload it to your plate. with a spoon, you can scoop, but your food is liable to drop off the spoon. with chopsticks you have total control.

get it now?

Most importantly, when's the last time you've seen a nigga pick up a beer with a fork? THATS RIGHT REAL AZN GANGSTAS HOLD THEIR BEERS WIF CHOPPSTICKUUU.

Coincidentally (fortuitously? serendipitously?), mastering chopstick techniques also improves masturbatory performance.

I can second that statement by saying I am quite happy with my chopstick to masturbatory skill ratio.

you mentioned that you could pick up a whole bowlful of noodles with a fork. i fail to see how this is useful. with chopsticks, you pick up as many noodles as you need.

You can stop the twist at anytime. grasping a single noodle, or a potful. Italians know where its at. You dont see grandma serving up linguini with two twigs.

they are made out of wood (usually) so they don't burn your mouth.

That makes a bit of sense. But ive never been burned by a fork or spoon, and as you can tell, im a die hard user. if the food is hot enough to heat up metal to the point where it burns your lips, the food is generally far too hot to eat anyways.

also, when you eat noodles with chopsticks, you can keep pinching the noodles and moving them into your mouth, so you can eat entire stands of noodles. you can't do this with a fork.

Youre right, but you dont need to do that with a fork. This only relates to another problem specific to eating with chopsticks. When you do the fork-twist, you dont have to pinch anything into yuor mouth, your bite size noodle-wrap is deposited completely into the mouth eliminating any noodle dangling from lips.

when you are picking up something out of a bowl, like a chunk of meat or a vegetable, you can pick up the morsel with the chopsticks with one hand. with a fork, you stab and then you need a spoon to unload it to your plate.

You spike it with the fork, then using the rub-back method where you pin the food against your plate, then run the fork backwards, exiting the prongs from said food stuffs, it deposits it nicely onto your plate.

with a spoon, you can scoop, but your food is liable to drop off the spoon. with chopsticks you have total control.

if carnies can run with an egg on a spoon thats stuck between their remaining 4 teeth, able bodied individuals should have no problem scooping something up and not tilting it enough for stuff to spill.

While were on the spoon/chopstick debate, try the pinch & grab method with some soup. Advantage spoon.