Pride FC and MMA

Haz

BJ Penn did win the fight. Frankie just looked to be more active and the judges scored it based on that. Doug Crosby scored the fight 50 45 for Edgar. They obviously kept an eye on who looked more exciting instead of who was actually more effective.

Frankie fought the fight of his life though so props to him.

BJ Penn did win the fight. Frankie just looked to be more active and the judges scored it based on that. Doug Crosby scored the fight 50 45 for Edgar. They obviously kept an eye on who looked more exciting instead of who was actually more effective.

Frankie fought the fight of his life though so props to him.

Yeah that fight was just kind of weird, it was like the judges just saw Frankie moving really fast the whole time and basically equated that to a win...

i fucking love aoki. Im really scared for him though, as are a lot of people. Gilbert might knock him out but if it gets to the ground i have faith in Aoki's rubber guard. He gets crazy submissions out of nowhere....

Aoki, Genki Sudo, and BJ are my favorite fighters of all time.

i fucking love aoki. Im really scared for him though, as are a lot of people. Gilbert might knock him out but if it gets to the ground i have faith in Aoki's rubber guard. He gets crazy submissions out of nowhere....

Aoki, Genki Sudo, and BJ are my favorite fighters of all time.

I'm going to also go with Henderson, Lawall, and Melendez. But I'm notoriously bad at picking at mma. King Mo just because I'm not 100% on the Gay-Guard train yet. He got straight up schooled by Sokodju in the early rounds. I'll be a fan if he pulls this off. Fan isnt the right word, im already that. Fanboy. Yeah, thats it.

I think Aoki has an extremely good chance of just getting pounded out from guard. I much prefer to see a BJJ master, especially one that everyone hates, win.

^^^same. don't see there being any upsets. a little bummed out aoki cant rock his rainbow pants but am anxious to see if anyone has a SUDOesk entrance. (ufc needs to get with the program).

mayhem entrances are a pathetic attempt compared to sudo.. heard that Kid Yamamoto going to make his debut in SF

PS just got off the phone with a friend those living in San Jose BJ at barnes and noble at eastridge mall doing a book signing for his new book

We are having a Rua rematch because he lost a unanimous decision. Not a draw. Do you understand the concept of a draw? I know its your opinion. And its wrong, simply put. Furthermore its based on absolutely nothing but corrupt boxing practices.

In combat sport matches are contested equally and not more so by either side.

If you look at the numbers BJ Penn was anything but timid.

ok, so if you look here http://fightmetric.com/fights/Machida-Shogun.html, you see similarities to the link you posted. SO, why does Edgar get the win and Rua doesn't? Explain it too me. please. you obviously understand the sport better. But i see two similar fights with dramatically different outcomes.

please explain it to me.

ok, so if you look here http://fightmetric.com/fights/Machida-Shogun.html, you see similarities to the link you posted. SO, why does Edgar get the win and Rua doesn't? Explain it too me. please. you obviously understand the sport better. But i see two similar fights with dramatically different outcomes.

please explain it to me.

All it proves is that MMA judging is still in its infancy and has a lot of work to be done. It supports the argument that judges need better training, as well as maybe monitors so they can have a better view of the action. Have you ever been to an event? If you have the I don't need to tell you that the best seat in the house is on your couch. It proves that fights can be seen a particular way by one person and a completely different way by trained judges.

What it absolutely does not prove is that the champ can sit on his haunches and wait for the challenger to take the belt. How could you even begin to draw those parallels? Even if you did somehow magically make a connection It's not even worth discussing because we have a set of rules that defines a win and a loss and it doesn't change if its a title fight or a contendership match or a Sunday night fight night.

If you want to have a deeper discussion on the sport especially in regards to judging I'm 100% up for it. All of that stuff is very exciting, but I would politely ask you to check your knee jerk, thoughtless, rhetorical questions at the door. Please do the same for your stupid, green to the sport, assumptions such as:

if a guy is challenging me for my belt i don;t need to beat him, he needs to beat me. this is how most UFC title bouts are usually scored e xcept, this fucking Penn fight.

It's all good to have opinions. We all have them. But you just sound like a douchebag when your 'opinion' based on your 'subjective reality' flies in the face of the rules.

I really hope this is sufficient enough to end any further disucssion on this subject. I'm anxious to hear what you have to say in regards to other aspects of MMA.

I mean no offense dude, but I don't understand why its gone this far. Im surprised you're still arguing the point. Theres literally no subjectivity here. It's in black and white. Nowhere in the rules does it call for special consideration depending on the seriousness or implications of the match. Would that be a fair fight?

If a judge goes in with that attitude then that is the judges agenda, not a result of the rules. Furthermore, if a judge goes in with that attitude he should not be allowed to judge the sport until his point of view is corrected and falls in line with the rules.

Well 2 out of 3 isnt bad. Of course this is the one time i DONT bet. I would have gone with the parlay anyway and lost my cash so its for the better.

As an MMA fan/nerd I thought the show was great. I dont know how you could possibly complain about it unless you hate wrestling but there were some really awesome displays of takedowns, offensive wrestling in general, guard work from top and you got a good ol' fashion fake hype fight at the end of the night.

Closing thoughts:

1. Mousasi is completely overrated and the 205 division in strikeforce is a wasteland.

2. I hope Coker isnt sued for getting a Nate Diaz fight (lol)

3. Ranking a japanese fighter is stupid

4. King Mo gonna keep winnin' especially if you keep hatin'

5. It might be time for Henderson to start fighting lower competition.

The schilling was also really bad. You could without a doubt tell who Strikeforce wanted to talk up and who they were pushing to win. It was amazing to see that all fall apart fight by fight. The only thing more embarrassing than that was the new MMA game that looks like its for the PS2. Did anyone else see the screaming submission escape from EA MMA Gilbie? Horrendous.

I mean no offense dude, but I don't understand why its gone this far. Im surprised you're still arguing the point. Theres literally no subjectivity here. It's in black and white. Nowhere in the rules does it call for special consideration depending on the seriousness or implications of the match. Would that be a fair fight?

i think this is where the miscommunications start.

first, I'm not arguing. this is an internet msg board. i'm just posting. this isn't important enough to argue over. I'm sorry if i confused you or implied that i thought this was a rule.

second, I never said that anything was in the rules. I'm making an observation, based on empirical evidence. that: Whether intentionally or not, the UFC judging usually favors the champion or marquee star. This pattern was broken, in my opinion, with the Penn fight. Its not based on rules or anything BUT my subjective reality. My empirical evidence; my opinion buddy. I understand your love for MMA and martial arts but maybe you start meditating a little. smoke a bowl eddie bravo style? I never said it was in the rules. I just said it seems that way to me. Just like it seems that Don King ruined boxing. No rules or facts just an opinion. EX: Non-whites get racial profiled. No rules to back it up, but it fucking happens. So there fore, at some point IMO, we can logically say cops racial profile folks and the UFC favors the champ or marque fighter on most occasions.

third, thanks for the explanation. sorry you see justifying yourself as arguing. I consider it intelligent conversation. Hope your not ripping doors off hinges or beating your wife or anything. Didn't mean for you to get heated over my opinion.

my opinion on judging is that its all very easily corrupted. In any sport. The beauty of MMA to me is the lack of rules. the lack of judges interpretation. Or the need for it, in some instances.

So in my mind, when you establish a precedent in your grading or judging of anything (metal, fights, the law) you need to follow it. and in my opinion the UFC has established, whether intentionally or not, the pattern of favoring the champ in a close fight (think tie goes to the runner or fielder's choice). I think they broke this pattern with the Penn fight.

that is all. and i managed to refrain from refering to you as arrogant or a douchebag or an elitist.

I'm going to be honest i'm not going to read a single sentence in that post. Instead i will quote myself.

I really hope this is sufficient enough to end any further disucssion on this subject. I'm anxious to hear what you have to say in regards to other aspects of MMA.

• 2 weeks later...