Pride FC and MMA

Haz

i like the rap but think it depends on the fighters like wandy sandstorm trance mix always got me hyped... akiyama coming out to time to say goodbye pretty epic.. i think most ppl hate wrestlers who stick with lay n pray rather then trying to finish

oeI916WkOnA

Granted. But whats worse:

a) a wrestler who's been a wrestler since a child, has never had any intention of not using his wrestling, and has used his wrestling every goddamn fight, coming in to wrestle

OR

B) any other fighter, who has literally 15-20 years worth of tape to know that the wrestler is going to come to, wrestle, wrestle, and then wrestle, yet STILL comes in completely unprepared for defending a takedown, or to sweep from the bottom.

Look at Chuck . He didn't give a shit about wrestling but he also isnt a retard so he learned to both defend takedowns and get to his feet if he did happen to get takendown. You dont have to learn how shoot doubles, singles, fireman carries, or even a goddamn gramby series. You literally only have to know 2 or 3 maneuvers to atleast make sure that the fight stays on your terms and you dont get pound out playing guard. It just amazes me that people still have such shitty attitudes towards wrestling in this modern day of MMA.

But then again everyone said the exact same thing about BJJ until it got really popular a few years back.

Listen, wrestlers can be boring. I get it. But, this is MMA and wrestling has been a martial art for longer than all the others and guess what, its clearly effective. Heres a pro-tip though, if your favorite fighter would spend maybe 6 solid months learning wrestling, they would be at the level of most wrestlers in MMA.

I'm of the opinion that if you an up and coming fighter who isnt world class in one or two of the other martial arts then dont be a goddamn dumbass. Suck it up, go to an American junior college, and join the goddamn wrestling team.

People who cant wrestle, or defend a wrestler, in 2010 are the equivalent of one handed baseball players. You are literally handicapping your ability to win, and while there might be one or maybe even two great one handed baseball players, the chances are pretty goddamn slim.

I wish I could somehow neg rep fighters that cant wrestle. Id neg the fuck out of so many fighters!

My Dojo is now infested with 16 year olds that don't take the sport seriously.

So pissed at the situation.

On a lighter note, I should be fighting my first amateur MMA fight either in 3 months or a year.

I have everything on lockdown except for head kicks. Anyone has had troubles with these and has a little tip for me?

Cheers guys!

Good luck dude - you should ask this in the fighters thread. The only tip I can give you is SET IT UP. If you set it up correctly you'll land flush and even a shitty headkick hurts. A lot.

yes rashad fought a smart fight for the most part, used his strengths, his quickness and wrestling. the latter doesnt make for an exciting fight and with all the build up and hype around, fans get amped and hope for soemthing different which usually is not teh case.

what pissed me off about rampage was how hesitant he was to attack, even when he had rashad hurt in the third round. i understand you got clipped in the opening minute but what else do you have to lose? you are behind in points any way

and with head kicks...fake low, go high... lol

I know u never heard that before :P

• 2 weeks later...

Soon people will go back to saying "brazilian jiu jitsu ruins everything" and nobody will care about wrestlers.

Unless Ben Askeren keeps styling on fools.

2 fights where body shots completely obliterates someones shit, 2 submissions, a good night.

Though watching that cyborg fight was kind of brutal.

Toughill might be an ok match up for her, but judging from the way she was blocking shots with her face tonight I think if Sarah Kaufman wanted to move up she would be a good challenger.

Those are really the only female fighters I know about...

I'd been telling people before hand that Lesnar was gonna win. Carwin had one of (IMO) only the 3 possible games that could beat him though. Hit him very hard from the start and try and KO him.

I think the only other ways to beat him are someone like a PRIME Randy Couture (ie good wrestling to avoid going to the ground and a technical striking game to win on points) or a PRIME Nogueira (very good BJJ, good enough striking on the feet to frustrate Lesnar and make him take you down, where you then submit him).

Did you just use the term "technical striking" and Randy Couture in the same sentence?

I'd been telling people before hand that Lesnar was gonna win. Carwin had one of (IMO) only the 3 possible games that could beat him though. Hit him very hard from the start and try and KO him.

I think the only other ways to beat him are someone like a PRIME Randy Couture (ie good wrestling to avoid going to the ground and a technical striking game to win on points) or a PRIME Nogueira (very good BJJ, good enough striking on the feet to frustrate Lesnar and make him take you down, where you then submit him).

lol at couture

and umm idk if you're aware but there IS only three ways you can win aha. (T)ko, Sub, and Dec dawg

I wouldn't call that technical. He has the worst head movement and footwork in the division. Sure he can throw 'bows in the phonebooth but I wouldnt call him a technical striker by any means.

He's technical, in particular his ability to use his striking to nullify others games. His striking isn't used to knock a guy out, it's used to win on points or to cut someone. Technical doesn't have to mean technically perfect striking, in this case it's used to mean he uses it in a technical way.

and umm idk if you're aware but there IS only three ways you can win aha. (T)ko, Sub, and Dec dawg

Of course, but there are many different ways to try and achieve that. Even taking a look at submission guys should show you a bunch who have styles/gameplans that would not work on Lesnar. Someone with a mainly top game is going to find it really difficult to keep Lesnar on his back due to his strong wrestling and strength/weight. Similarly, someone with a great submission game from all positions isn't going to beat Lesnar unless they have good enough striking to force him to take them down. Just look at his fights against Mir. In the first fight Lesnar didn't know anything but wrestling so all he could do was take him down and try and gnp. His submission defence wasn't good enough however so he got subbed. In the second fight he'd developed a "good enough" sub defence to avoid Mir's attempts and gnp him into bolivian.

I could go on and give a bunch of different examples if you still think that 3 ways to win means there are only 3 types of fighter...

He's technical, in particular his ability to use his striking to nullify others games. His striking isn't used to knock a guy out, it's used to win on points or to cut someone. Technical doesn't have to mean technically perfect striking, in this case it's used to mean he uses it in a technical way.

Of course, but there are many different ways to try and achieve that. Even taking a look at submission guys should show you a bunch who have styles/gameplans that would not work on Lesnar. Someone with a mainly top game is going to find it really difficult to keep Lesnar on his back due to his strong wrestling and strength/weight. Similarly, someone with a great submission game from all positions isn't going to beat Lesnar unless they have good enough striking to force him to take them down. Just look at his fights against Mir. In the first fight Lesnar didn't know anything but wrestling so all he could do was take him down and try and gnp. His submission defence wasn't good enough however so he got subbed. In the second fight he'd developed a "good enough" sub defence to avoid Mir's attempts and gnp him into bolivian.

I could go on and give a bunch of different examples if you still think that 3 ways to win means there are only 3 types of fighter...

Sorry mate but I just cant go along with that reworking of the definition of technical striker. Lesnar has 50% of his wins by submission. But i wouldn't call him a technical grappler.