Random Thoughts...

fade to black2

My head is still spinning from A Tribe Called Quest last night... Greatest hip-hop crew ever?!?!

Yeah, sure, Phife gained a few pounds, but they were still tight as fuck. I don't think any of the current hip-hop kids will be still be selling out shows 25 years from now...

edit: ^Natse, must spread. That picture is fucked. Someone had to spend hours drawing that shit...

I'm sure sufu doesn't care but I got to see Slayer, Megadeth and Testament for free. Free parking and went backstage. I'm in a good mood.

I have Slayers set list in my pocket too.

Holy shit you lucky son of a bitch. Did you get to see the show in the pit?

They're coming here on the 29th, but I won't go unless I get Pit- shit is $61 though. :(

i'm going back to school

as in, you've been away from school and are coming back? or school is starting on the east coast? we (university system) don't head back until september 27th... and i'm ready to go back now; ffuuuuuuu

and bayerson drewson is one of those dudes who would faint at the sight of blood. i mean y'all scholarly but goddamn get a grip, where do you think bros like hemingway and cummings got their ideas about war anyway

I actually have no idea what this is in response to. All that haemophobia must make my human anatomy grades a somewhat impressive feat, huh? I'm guessing your remark was instigated by some leftist or pacifist sentiment I expressed. Either way, please clarify.

Given the strength of your opinions regarding writing, this term;

comfort zone

is straight bitch-ass cliche.

Holy shit you lucky son of a bitch. Did you get to see the show in the pit?

They're coming here on the 29th, but I won't go unless I get Pit- shit is $61 though. :(

Haha, it's always a little corny at those shows. Like a lot of dudes in patched up vests running into each other. Not as violent as I would have hoped for this time around.

Someone got their ass stomped by some bikers during Slayer tho, that was pretty funny.

I actually have no idea what this is in response to. All that haemophobia must make my human anatomy grades a somewhat impressive feat, huh? I'm guessing your remark was instigated by some leftist or pacifist sentiment I expressed. Either way, please clarify.

Given the strength of your opinions regarding writing, this term;

is straight bitch-ass cliche.

i am not one for forum drama or grudges, please consider:

One. i was not hating on you i was thinking about that time you freaked out after seeing that vid of a mouse being eaten by a turtle and i thought,

"Why would you freak out over that vid that kind of shit happens thousands of times every day in nature. Sorry your media consumption included a depiction of certain common realities?"

Of course, what we are more squeamish about is the fact that people could play god. Stack the odds. Deprive a person of consent. i understand that. But notions of a level playing field in nature is illusion, though I would agree humans have a certain amount of power with which to be careful.

Two: I actually don't like Hemmingway that much. I regret saying he was a bro. Hemmingway and Cummings were the first two examples that came to mind when i was thinking of writers who have been in war. The contradiction I was seeing was your aversion to anything that involves blood, but there is so much literature that is either ABOUT or INVOLVES violence that I feel there are far, far too many "scholars" who don't understand that a lot of this literature comes from very traumatic experiences.

I also think you were being unfair by assuming the character of the things I enjoy reading based on two authors. It is much easier to make assumptions like that and dismiss someone than continue to think about them. And out of all the things you are going to scrutinize a person for, you are going to evaluate a man based on the books he reads? What about that person's own actions, thoughts? Cummings published work, for example, is so large and diverse that you cannot possibly pretend to have grasped the essence of everything he's done, reject it, think someone else sees the same things you saw and pass judgement.

The superiority game is ridiculous on sufu, i know i indulge in it myself but i try to call out bullshit/unwarranted self importance when i see it while being tongue-in-cheek about it. Any time you see that I am probably drunk. Posting here, I am sort of operating on the assumption that everyone else here does not conflate rep with their emotions and ego.

I am a sailor, and I was once asked by my "intelligent" and scholarly friend what the sea represents to me, (purity? respite? challenge?) and I replied at length that the sea can take just about any form you can imagine, and that the sea is not an abstraction, it is a danger from which I must protect my crew, my ship and myself, in that order. For him those kind of ideas exist as words on page but he cannot empathize with another person's experiences/reality. This is the danger of growing up in a bubble.

I am also a pacifist, but I believe there is a place for violence among people who understand what they are consenting to. i am thinking of martial arts and certain sports. Lacrosse, as played by the indians was a substitute for war. I have a hard time thinking of any way to make conflict more noble than to make it a game.

Don't know why you think going outside of your comfort zone is a bitch-ass cliche. I have had my feet, my hands and my head in many, many different communities. And every time I come out a better person. A large sample is an important part of good science, after all. It's been like that so long I am actually not sure if I have a home, at least not in the sense of a physical location. My mom sold the house i grew up in when i turned 18. Oh, and when I say "grew up in" I mean the family moved in when I turned 6 or 7. Many years were spent living in different apartments. That, and with some jobs I have had, my day-to-day reality was changed completely, and it has all been without the use of drugs or alcohol.

Part of that comfort zone thing is conceptual as well. The ability to not only recognize, but transcend your own confirmation bias, habits, fears and laziness is a difficult thing to do. If any of you had to google "confirmation bias" I suggest you revisit this post at a later point in your life.

also, from a neg:

don't hate on baeyer. also, hemingway and cummings are nowhere near what I would call bros. you try to appear abstract and intelligent in your insults, but all you are doing is making yourself look like a dumbass. fail kid.
I would still say cummings was a bro. Would love to carry this debate to another thread if you disagree. I'm not sure that I try to appear abstract at all, do you understand what that word means? Obtuse sometimes, surely, but most of the time the shit I write all the time here in the trash is the opposite of abstract. I don't pretend to be intelligent. I am not. I think intelligence is the ability to move beyond comprehension into manipulating, re-framing and creating your own ideas, and that is something I have just started to learn.

So kudos to you and the rest of your intelligent, brilliant, miserable genius friends if you have known this all your life. Some of us have just started their lives, and your impatience is a little disturbing.

"Even those who limp go not backward." said a guy in a book i really like

Think about that one for a minute.

No, really, read it again, slowly this time. Maybe some context would help: http://www.katsandogz.com/ongood.html

If you had some sense, you'd be able to move past things like taking seriously what someone on the internet (supertrash, no less) said about some other dude you think you like. Unless you know him in person. In that case, I'm sure you two will enjoy a brief chat about this little run-in over a beer the next time you visit and trade book, movie and album titles.

Really though, most of these posts sound more reactionary than they sound like critical inquiry.

Wrote all this out in the hopes that you will consider what I've said here and not just write me off as a hater. Peace.