Random Thoughts...

fade to black2

^No hate, sawyer. At least now I know the context of your claim. I though I made it clear last time, but without getting to off-topic (is that even possible in Random Thoughts?);

I "freaked out" not in disgust of the depicted event, but that some fuckwit would derive pleasure from filming and uploading it. An analogy; I enjoy violent Hollywood movies, hell, I'll even watch the odd vid of an accidental death, but I hate snuff as a concept. I abhor animal torture and the violation of human rights (in every form). I work in medical science, I have seen baby mice skinned alive by improper cervical dislocation. Did I enjoy it? No. Did I film it, set it to a thrashy metal track and upload it to youtube? No.

I'm not ignorant, and I know much worse shit goes on constantly across the globe. It has throughout human history and it will continue to well into the future. Man is inescapably violent.

With regard to judging someone by the books they read, in my experience a person's interests and even intelligence can be extremely well predicted by their bookshelf. Morals and character/personality, less so. I don't want this to be a bitch out, but you're complaining about someone judging you over two stated authors when you yourself implied I was an emasculated haemophobe because of a single post that didn't fully articulate my views on a subject I care about.

For clarity, I didn't say going out of your "comfort zone" is cliche, the very phrase "comfort zone" is cliche as fuck. It just calls to mind recent school leavers doing some Contiki tour humanitarian project in Africa just so they can say they went out of their "comfort zone". Articulate.

I know what confirmation bias is. I don't know a single person who has entirely overcome it, and I don't think you do either.

From what you've said, I'm sure I'd actually get along with you really well, sawyer. Just don't prick your finger near me, I might faint ;P

Random thought of the day (pertaining to 2666);

I just realised that Hans Reiter, who is presumably von Archimboldi, has the phonetic name "writer" if pronounced in German. Bolano's joke goes on...

>With regard to judging someone by the books they read, in my experience a person's interests and even intelligence can be extremely well predicted by their bookshelf.

i think intelligence is as loaded of a word as hipster, that's all i can say in response to this idea

>you're complaining about someone judging you over two stated authors when you yourself implied I was an emasculated haemophobe because of a single post that didn't fully articulate my views on a subject I care about.

this occurred to me as i wrote my reply but i went with it anyway. we all make judgements, i guess the point is miscommunication and "not giving a fuck" are common themes on internet message boards. its not really cool to write about something you care about.

>For clarity, I didn't say going out of your "comfort zone" is cliche, the very phrase "comfort zone" is cliche as fuck. It just calls to mind recent school leavers doing some Contiki tour humanitarian project in Africa just so they can say they went out of their "comfort zone". Articulate.

and those people will return to america with a widened sense of what it means to be a human being, the possibilities, necessities and ways a person can live in society. going abroad is never a bad idea. seeing how shit gets done on the ground is a very enlightening thing. seeing the ways poor people are pinned in those countries gives perspective on your own life, renews the importance and interest of higher education. talk to anyone about their time abroad and ask them what they learned. i have friends who tell me about what they saw in china, honduras, paris, the dominican republic, egypt. all of those places are extremely important in understanding what we americans are contributing to the world with our dollar.

>I know what confirmation bias is. I don't know a single person who has entirely overcome it, and I don't think you do either.

obviously, but that's not gonna stop me from working on it. comment was directed at anyone reading, not you

two more thoughts

>can be extremely well predicted by their bookshelf.

the ability to have a very large or tailored library in music, film, visual arts, etc speaks largely about the amount of time a person spends idle and alone. maybe you have an ability to see to the essence of some things but maybe that dude who has modest mouse on his ipod has other things to spend time on in his life. you can always find time to read but to some extent consumption and criticism of the arts is a leisure class activity.

>the very phrase "comfort zone"

well, it's a shortcut. it'll do. even though its cheesy we will both know what that means.

btw the emasculation stuff, hahah. i am not macho. look, when your car doesnt start in the morning, landlords are flaking on showing you apartments and youre going to have to pawn most of your shit to put down a security deposit a guy might get angry, get drunk and yell at people online. nothing personal

keeping a blog up to date is really difficult for me.. it is just hard to continually find material that i care to write something about. now for a shameless plug (sorta): any suggestions on topics?

keeping a blog up to date is really difficult for me.. it is just hard to continually find material that i care to write something about. now for a shameless plug (sorta): any suggestions on topics?
When you get your superswap package, or when your partner receives theirs... post about that.