Random Thoughts...

fade to black2

Do people who live in Portland, OR ever, EVER shut up about living in Portland, OR?

They are always, without exception, the most annoying, self-congratulatory people I have ever encountered. It is 10 times worse than I-live-in-NY syndrome. No one cares how awesome it is, and no one really quite believes you. Enjoy your town, I'm sure it's pleasant, but talking about it as if it is a major cultural hub doesn't mean that it is one.

Stop trying to make 'fetch' happen. It's not going to fucking happen.

To be honest, it's probably one of the most environmentally responsible cities with the best public transit system in the us. It's also one of the safest cities in the us. On top of that, you have the surrounding pacific northwest scenery.

From everyone I've talked to (people living there, have lived there, just visited, or planning to move there) it really is a great place to live.

I'm not repping Portland or anything, but to hate on it because people love their city is ridiculous.

To be honest, it's probably one of the most environmentally responsible cities with the best public transit system in the us. It's also one of the safest cities in the us. On top of that, you have the surrounding pacific northwest scenery.

From everyone I've talked to (people living there, have lived there, just visited, or planning to move there) it really is a great place to live.

I'm not repping Portland or anything, but to hate on it because people love their city is ridiculous.

Everything you listed is good. But I already know all of that. Everyone does. That's not why I hate them. I hate them the same way I hate people who, when they first got their iphone, would go completely out of their way to mention their iphone in regular, non-phone-related conversation. Just...shut up about your iphone. Jesus.

Everything you listed is good. But I already know all of that. Everyone does. That's not why I hate them. I hate them the same way I hate people who, when they first got their iphone, would go completely out of their way to mention their iphone in regular, non-phone-related conversation. Just...shut up about your iphone. Jesus.

Aight, then I misunderstood. I noticed people from Portland love to talk about it, but I've never had anyone come across as annoying. But I can relate with the iPhone shit. I have to deal with that on the daily

go drink at PB, you live in sd right?

goin out to send my USA candy package to redX woooo germany

gonna send mine on wednesday (i'm so sorry, i promised to send it earlier i know :( ) but this heat (i think 90° F, thunderstorms by wed) is like a kick in the balls considering how cold it was last week. totally ruined my plans and i would really hate myself if all the chocolaty good stuff would melt before it got to you

ugh, so im moving back to seoul tomorrow, and i remembered that there is no redbull in seoul. so i just bought one and pounded it, now im hella jittery. its weird redbull used to not do this to me, wtf?

i told my mom about it and she is all (paraphrase), 'i should smack you for doing something stupid like that'

Clearly you've never been to Austin.

Do people who live in Portland, OR ever, EVER shut up about living in Portland, OR?

They are always, without exception, the most annoying, self-congratulatory people I have ever encountered. It is 10 times worse than I-live-in-NY syndrome. No one cares how awesome it is, and no one really quite believes you. Enjoy your town, I'm sure it's pleasant, but talking about it as if it is a major cultural hub doesn't mean that it is one.

Stop trying to make 'fetch' happen. It's not going to fucking happen.

question, what do you mean by "fetch?"

i cannot argue the fact that there are people like this in portland, i've dealt with people like this as i'm from the surrounding area and have lived in the city (yeah, i know these are based on my comments about the duu wanting to move to philly or portland). but i'd ask you, is this not something that people will do no matter the topic? just because that seems more like a personality trait rather than a trait indicative of the city. there are probably people like this no matter where you ask about. also, this is different from the iphone argument because he asked for an opinion.. i didn't just bring it up in the middle of random conversation. i definitely understand your point on the iphone argument though, that shit is annoying; wasn't trying to be that guy, so i apologize if i was.

edit: happy birthday commbat

oh man,

i just downloaded some sweet star wars ringtones. http://mattersofgrey.com/star-wars-ringtones/

my mom's new ringtone is the imperial march, mahahaha, this is going to end badly

question, what do you mean by "fetch?"

i cannot argue the fact that there are people like this in portland, i've dealt with people like this as i'm from the surrounding area and have lived in the city (yeah, i know these are based on my comments about the duu wanting to move to philly or portland). but i'd ask you, is this not something that people will do no matter the topic? just because that seems more like a personality trait rather than a trait indicative of the city. there are probably people like this no matter where you ask about. also, this is different from the iphone argument because he asked for an opinion.. i didn't just bring it up in the middle of random conversation. i definitely understand your point on the iphone argument though, that shit is annoying; wasn't trying to be that guy, so i apologize if i was.

edit: happy birthday commbat

Oh Jesus Christ. This is exactly what I'm talking about. I don't know who you are, and didn't have any idea you posted anything about Portland. My original comment was a true random thought.

What are the odds, right?

^ Hm, that's really kind of odd, considering everybody I know who's visited Portland in the last year says it absolutely sucked versus their original expectations.

Oh well.

^ Hm, that's really kind of odd, considering everybody I know who's visited Portland in the last year says it absolutely sucked versus their original expectations.

Oh well.

My boy says the difference between Portland and Seattle is that in Seattle you will see people skateboarding to work, but in Portland you just see people skateboarding.

It's pretty annoying when anyone defines themselves based on their location. "Well I'm from NYC/Brooklyn/LA so obviously..." I feel what American Hearts was saying, but dude, you are also from Brooklyn where the worst kinds of faux superiority occur, you know? It's weird to complain about Portland peeps when your own location is so much worse.

The fact that Portland-dwellers are worse in that regard was a surprise to me, too, brother. Believe me.

Anyway, the only people who still talk about Brooklyn the way you're implying are the kids who just moved to Greenpoint from Williamsburg. Everyone else chilled out on it, mainly because they've been around the attitude long enough to realize what a boner-killer it is. Portland kids will figure it out in a few years, too.

My boy says the difference between Portland and Seattle is that in Seattle you will see people skateboarding to work, but in Portland you just see people skateboarding.

I been hearing this shit a lot. Too many lazy "artists" and not enough burgers for them to flip. They all tell me to have a job lined up before you move there, but I'm not so sure I want to deal with all that while in a shit job market in the first place.

I wasn't even aware Portland was such a hyped place to live. I've been "living with nature" for almost a year. Haven't had internet/cable tv in the same amount of time, so I am completely out of touch.

If anyone has any insight on places to live that aren't too* expensive, decent shopping, decent art scene, and diverse, I would love to hear it. I've gotten most of my partying out of my system, so nightlife isn't essential. I just want somewhere I can settle down for ~5 years and focus on my future.

I've done all of southern California, Chicago, and Kansas City. I've visited Philly and I really enjoyed the city and the history there as well as the proximity to NYC.

*NYC, San Francisco, and going back to Chicago are out due to not wanting to spend all my money just to live there and have nothing left for fun.

The fact that Portland-dwellers are worse in that regard was a surprise to me, too, brother. Believe me.

Anyway, the only people who still talk about Brooklyn the way you're implying are the kids who just moved to Greenpoint from Williamsburg. Everyone else chilled out on it, mainly because they've been around the attitude long enough to realize what a boner-killer it is. Portland kids will figure it out in a few years, too.

yeah I lived in on grand and metropolitan like 5 years ago, then moved to the EV like 3 years ago. I'm glad it's gotten better - the level of hipster pretension was ridiculous. It was like a Belle and Sebastian concert in the late 90s.