SUPERDENIM SMALL QUESTIONS THREAD (Use instead of making new threads)

minya

I want to pick up a couple pairs of decent jeans, in the $50-$100 range for now. Recommend a few brands? I'm short at a little over 5'7" with a heavy build, so nothing ultra-skinny.

Do you want to spend 50-100 on all the jeans, or each pair? To be honest, decent jeans will cost more than that. But if you're just starting out and want to learn more, you could either go with a pair of standard Levi's shrink-to-fit, or maybe Cheap Monday's...or maybe a pair of APC new standards from the marketplace or ebay.

Do you want to spend 50-100 on all the jeans, or each pair? To be honest, decent jeans will cost more than that. But if you're just starting out and want to learn more, you could either go with a pair of standard Levi's shrink-to-fit, or maybe Cheap Monday's...or maybe a pair of APC new standards from the marketplace or ebay.

Each pair. Just getting into denim, and I've read a bunch about the Levi/Gap/Uniqlo stuff (under or about $50) and the higher end stuff ($100+), but there doesn't seem to be much in between. Don't have a problem spending more on a good pair, but I'm wanting to get a look at different cuts and so on without investing lots.

Thanks for the response.

Each pair. Just getting into denim, and I've read a bunch about the Levi/Gap/Uniqlo stuff (under or about $50) and the higher end stuff ($100+), but there doesn't seem to be much in between. Don't have a problem spending more on a good pair, but I'm wanting to get a look at different cuts and so on without investing lots.

Thanks for the response.

Personally, I think your best bet would be to get a pair of APC's or something similar in the marketplace. I regret not buying used when I was learning (actually, I wish I had just gone straight to the japanese stuff...) Decide what you want to spend, spend some time reading about the different brands, then look through the marketplace and wait for something to come along that fits in your budget. Its fairly common for most to get a pair of APC or nudies as their beginner-pair, but remember if your're serious about this you'll be wearing them for the next six months (at least), so make sure you REALLY like them...otherwise you'll end up losing money and selling them.

Hi everyone.

I bought a pair of Levi's 501s STF. I want to wear them in to an authentic look.

So far I have:

Soaked them in a hot tub for 35 minutes, hung dry over night.

Put them in the washer (hot water, no detergent), hung dry. I wanted to shrink them a little bit more.

Put them in the washer again (hot water with some detergent), and hung dry.

Is the process I used okay or do you think I wet or washed them too much? I wore them all today and I am happy with the way they fit. They're just too dark though. I feel stupid in them.

Will starching speed up the honeycombing/whiskering process, or is it a waste of time?

Hi everyone.

I bought a pair of Levi's 501s STF. I want to wear them in to an authentic look.

So far I have:

Soaked them in a hot tub for 35 minutes, hung dry over night.

Put them in the washer (hot water, no detergent), hung dry. I wanted to shrink them a little bit more.

Put them in the washer again (hot water with some detergent), and hung dry.

Is the process I used okay or do you think I wet or washed them too much? I wore them all today and I am happy with the way they fit. They're just too dark though. I feel stupid in them.

Will starching speed up the honeycombing/whiskering process, or is it a waste of time?

Your process seems fine.

Starching will not necessarily speed up honeycomb or whiskers as long as you don't do it when it's wet. Even then, some veterans here will advice against it, especially since you want an authentic outcome. Patience and honest hard wear is all you need actually.:)

I'v been wordering this forever, but why DOES the lap area fade. Is it from abrasions or from stretching, or maybe its the sweating? Combination?

Also for the folds in denim does it fade there because more abrasions or is it the stress from being folded?

Thanks!

You basically answered the questions yourself.

Thanks for the quick reply.

One more thing about fading. I understand that the actual honeycombs/whiskers fade on the lines, but what about the rest of the denim? Does that only fade in the wash?

not really, washing only gets rid of 'loose' indigo...unless of course, you forgot to turn it inside out. Fade is the result of abrasion.

You'll actually notice that you can see hardly any indigo loss just through washing.

My friend's brother needs a style revolution. What better way to start than with jeans? However, I need to convince him to go dry.

Other than raws, what are some "jean newbie" suggestions? I don't know anything about washed jeans.

He's super skinny, I think about 26-27 true waist. He doesn't want TIGHT but I think with that bodytype, he'd rock skinnies quite well. Any suggestions ~$100? If he were into raws I'd say APC NC/NS... standard recommendations hah.

My friend's brother needs a style revolution. What better way to start than with jeans? However, I need to convince him to go dry.

Other than raws, what are some "jean newbie" suggestions? I don't know anything about washed jeans.

He's super skinny, I think about 26-27 true waist. He doesn't want TIGHT but I think with that bodytype, he'd rock skinnies quite well. Any suggestions ~$100? If he were into raws I'd say APC NC/NS... standard recommendations hah.

Cheap Monday

Hi! I just got a pair of Slim Jims dirt cheap (50 dollars canadian). Only problem is that they are ONE size too big(couldnt pass up a 50 dollar pair of nudies), but the thighs and calves fit perfectly. Its just the waist and the seat area that are somewhat large. Havent worn them yet, so they are basically new. I was wondering if it would be a good idea to take to a tailor and get them altered. Would they come out totally wierd or would it work?

What happens when I go into the ocean with my jeans? I have read about people doing this, but they haven't said why.

What will pool water do to them?

BTW, my jeans are too damn dark. I feel like a dumbass in them. I think you can really tell with the "V" shaped things on the back pockets. I think I want to lighten their color just a little bit.

Not being funny or anything but if your jeans are too damn dark and you feel like a dumbass wearing them, why did you buy them?

He poses a good question!

There's some pictures on APC's website about soaking your jeans in the ocean...sounds hokey to me though.

I'd imagine pool water wouldn't be nice on your jeans with all the chlorine and chemicals.

Is it possible to have one pair of jeans altered to match another jean's specifications? I just bought a pair of Levi's Skinny jeans, and they fit so much better than my Crates. Me being a poor student, would it be possible to have a tailor almost match these jeans measurements to my Levi's, without ending up with a loss in durability or my wallet... ?

Is it possible to have one pair of jeans altered to match another jean's specifications? I just bought a pair of Levi's Skinny jeans, and they fit so much better than my Crates. Me being a poor student, would it be possible to have a tailor almost match these jeans measurements to my Levi's, without ending up with a loss in durability or my wallet... ?

To do it identically, they'd have to take the Levi's apart, which would be bad (rivets and whatnot). They can probably do their best to copy them though if they're a decent tailor, but it would cost.

Not being funny or anything but if your jeans are too damn dark and you feel like a dumbass wearing them, why did you buy them?

Because I imagine they'll eventually start to fade and start to look cool (you probably figure this much anyway if you've done the raw jeans thing too). I don't know about you, but I (in my opinion) don't think brand new jeans look very cool.

I'm sure I'm not the first person to feel silly wearing such dark jeans.

I actually washed my jeans again last night. I had removed the arcuates on the back pockets. I put some hot water onto the pockets to close up the holes where the stitching was and then I figured I might as well just wash them. So they have faded a little bit more. I imagine I will still get some okay whiskers and honeycombs, maybe not as defined as they could have been, but I'm fine with that.

After you guys soak your jeans, do you hang them outside to dry, lay them on a towel? hang them elsewhere?

I soaked my APCs, since they were starting to smell last night at 8:30 PM... At 8:00 AM this morning, they were still pretty wet, after having them laying on a towel all night...

I also got my Flathead 3001's in the mail today, and i'm goign to want to soak and dry these too...

Also I soaked in a big Laundry room sink, which didn't have the denim flat, I just filled the sink up pretty high with water and then made sure all of the denim was underwater, held down by full waterbottles

So anyways on the flathead im going to be doing a 2 hour hot soak(hottest water from tap i can get)...

SO any drying advice, or should i not soak if they aren't flat?

Yeah i've tried reading aroudn, no real responses...

hang them outside in the sun, then just hang them up somewhere else to finish drying if you want them good and stiff, if not you can always throw them in the dryer and finish um' off that way. either way you can't go wrong, jus don't lay them down on a towel that will take foever to dry because one side isn't getting any air on it.

• superfuture unpinned, featured, unfeatured and pinned this topic