Denim you despise?

Jay-

I don't like APC (find their color/many of their fades ugly) or Naked And Famous (dislike their denim and contrast stitching, or lack thereof) but I certainly don't think they're horrible.

Yeah I think True Religion, Seven, and so on are horrible, but that's all been said before.

Also, totally agree with Hawkway.

I don't like APC (find their color/many of their fades ugly) or Naked And Famous (dislike their denim and contrast stitching, or lack thereof) but I certainly don't think they're horrible.

Yeah I think True Religion, Seven, and so on are horrible, but that's all been said before.

Also, totally agree with Hawkway.

I agree with you on N&F. I don't hate them, but I find a lot of the stuff they put out flat out ugly.

We all hate the douche brands. I'll stick my neck out and be critical of a sufu approved brand. I don't like Iron Heart. I don't despise them, but I made myself stop looking at the IH thread because one day I came to the realization I just don't like anything I'm seeing. especially their black or overdyed jeans. I think it's mostly their sheen when new, and the flat uniformity over the denim, all of which I believe that comes form the sanforization process. But, it just turns me off. Reminds me too much of polyester work pants. And I don't like the whole super heavy weight denim thing either (regardless of brand).

Iron Heart is an interesting case. I have tremendous respect for the brand and can clearly see that everything they crank out is incredibly well made, but there's just something about it that feels kind of bland to me.

I feel like they have much more of a utilitarian aesthetic than many of the other Japanese Amekaji brands, and they're less interesting to me as a result. However, this probably translates a lot better for overseas markets than some of the more idiosyncratic Japanese stuff so it's a matter of taste, really. Plus, the fact that I just don't think most, if any, of their clothes would fit well on my tall, skinny frame.

Part of the appeal of brands like Flat Head, Redmoon, etc. is that it feel like they have a unique sort of flavor that carries across their whole range of products that resonates with me. In the case of those two, a western vibe that appeals to my Texas heritage, I guess.

As I've said before, I think RJB makes awesome quality clothes but I dislike the who billiard-room look found on a lot (but not all of) their clothes. A Japanese brand I really don't like is Tedman. I find all their devil baby iconography incredibly silly and think they're basically a parody of Amekaji excesses. It annoys me when half an issue of Lightning focuses on them.

Anything you can get at Buckle etc -- stuff with weird thin crisscross denim. true religion and all that

I'm not a huge fan of Nudies or Dior either.. Dior stuff looks ugly to me and nudies seem to like tearing up within several months >_>

Edited by PowerofMyth

I have to agree with Cold Summer on IH. I tried on various pairs and they just didn't seem to have anything special going for them, particularly for how much hype the brand gets.

I don't know if it qualifies for this thread, but I despise that ALD is no longer around...

I believe so, yes. I know that they were shifting, and I think that lasted for one season before they shut down entirely. Still, some of the best belts, great original pocket design, some unique cuts, great quality, and one of the first to use something other than basic blue/white denim which has grown to almost every brand out there. Even the jackets were unique on the market.

I'll also agree on iron heart, I don't despise it or anything, but I don't see anything special either. I don't even mind heavy weight denim, but I guess the heavier weight stuff that appeals to me are denims with a lot of character, while everything feels so uniform on iron hearts. I still respect the quality and what they do, and I also liked where they were going with their triple works line before it seemingly got put on the backburner, though.

The hate I don't get is all the hate for entry level denim out there. I understand its totally against a lot of the things us denimheads stand for, but think about it this way: what else is the average joe going to wear? Anything is a step up from true religions, 7's, all that crap that has been mentioned a ton already in here. And honestly there's some pairs of Unbrandeds/etc out there with amazing fades.

Also never understood the hate for n&f, i totally get why a lot of you guys would never wear n&f, but at the price range there really isn't much else out there that can compete with n&f. And they have been doing a lot of unique & offbeat stuff every season, which I think everyone can respect.

I'm most likely in the minority here, but I'm not a big fan of Flat Head jeans. I definitely respect the hell 'outta them, and do find their denim characteristics interesting, but from everything i've seen if you've seen one faded pair you've seen them all. I don't despise them in the least, and I love my FH wabash, but i'm over seeing the jeans in the evo thread...

from everything i've seen if you've seen one faded pair you've seen them all. I don't despise them in the least, and I love my FH wabash, but i'm over seeing the jeans in the evo thread...

It's likely that this is due to most people on SuFu wearing and washing their FHs in much the same way (Sidley Lo recipe) and typically wearing the slimmer fits offered by the brand. I'm not exempt from that either but if there were more folk on here wearing 3005s and washing their jeans every month, you might see something different.

Sugar Mountain, that's exactly what I was going to say. Sufu only really shows the slim-fitting, infrequently-washed, contrasty Flat Heads, whereas if you read Lightning or Free & Easy, you'll see more examples of looser, regularly-washed pairs with more vintage-style fades.

I'll try to start posting my monthly washed F350s soon.

Sidney actually soaked and washed his jeans a lot, and I've seen some people complain at slow progress as a result of washing infrequently. I have a ton of saved pictures of FH jeans from SuFu and elsewhere (so surprising) and while there are a few other pairs that look the same as his, there are plenty of 3XXX/1XXX that look really different from each other. I've heard people say this sort of thing before and I really don't get it, I think FH has as much variation in their fades as anything else.

For me, the final color a pair of jeans arrives at is really more important that how high contrast it ends up, and I just really like the aquamarine/electric blue color FH tends to become (which plenty of people might just not like.) I feel that a lot of the more vintage repro jeans end up looking really gray and washed out, but obviously this is not a bad thing for plenty of people.

The only thing that bugs me about FH is that their inside stitching doesn't look nearly as nice as that of my PBJs.