kiya

Self Edge, SF/NY/LA/PDX - updates & info

Looking good, Aries. Where did your inseam end up? I've given mine two hot soaks now and I've only lost an inch. I'm wondering if the water at my new place doesn't get as hot.

I know washing in the washer is typically done with jeans inside-out but does that go for bath washes and soaks too? I thought it was mostly to prevent abrasion against the outer indigo.

I'll let you know once they're dry occupant. I asked for a 35" hem so I'm hoping for a 33" leg, though I can do a 32 too.

Cadence - Yes I believe the main advantage is to guard against abrasion, but I do it when soaking so I have easy access to the pockets; it's bloody annoying to really squeeze them dry otherwise.

I'm eagerly awaiting my new SEXDB19s in size 36. What shrinkage is actually happening on a 45 min hot soak? Thanks a lot.

I'm eagerly awaiting my new SEXDB19s in size 36. What shrinkage is actually happening on a 45 min hot soak? Thanks a lot.

Hi Kiya, can you please recommend some jeans for men with bigger thighs but still some taper?  I recently bought a pair of 3sixteen+ 30BSP and even sized up 1 was still a bit tight around the inner thighs when I sit down.  Many thanks in advance!

Hi Kiya, can you please recommend some jeans for men with bigger thighs but still some taper?  I recently bought a pair of 3sixteen+ 30BSP and even sized up 1 was still a bit tight around the inner thighs when I sit down.  Many thanks in advance!

If the 30BSP was too tight in the thighs i would look at the Sugar Cane 1947 or Iron Heart 634s.

Ok people, got some info now the 2nd soak is complete.

First 45 min hot soak my on my size 34, absolute minimal shrinkage (0.5" inseam).

Second hot soak, lots more shrinkage (1.5"); more shrinkage across the entire denim. After the first soak I had hip flare, which is gone now.

I'll take and post pictures tomorrow when the sun is out as it's night time in Australia right now.

edit: Ok I've got some pretty bad fit pics but better than nothing! I'll post proper sunlight coloured ones in the morning.

DSCN2008_zps2a1e2ccd.jpg

DSCN2009_zps2faa2962.jpg

Edited by Aries

Hey Kiya, I heard that SE is going to carry some Ace Boots. Will you be getting their engineer boots? I'd really like to try a pair.

I know washing in the washer is typically done with jeans inside-out but does that go for bath washes and soaks too? I thought it was mostly to prevent abrasion against the outer indigo.

i think you answered your own question. when using a conventional washing machine, the agitation can cause the denim to overbleed, sometimes causing the material to look splotchy in areas that had direct contact with the agitator. turning your jeans inside out reduces this effect, as the inside of the jeans takes all the dircect impact, so to speak. since doing a traditional soak, whether it be in a bathtub, washing machine, bucket, etc. usually warrants little to no agitation, i feel like it doesn't matter if the jeans are inside out or not.

'course, this is just my opinion. i usually soak mine rightside-out, even on the initial soak, and have never noticed a difference in the color pre/post soak. if you're worried about it, though, turning them inside out for a soak certainly won't hurt anything.

Hey Kiya, I heard that SE is going to carry some Ace Boots. Will you be getting their engineer boots? I'd really like to try a pair.

We'll have two oxfords and one engineer boot November 1st at SENY, SEPDX, and in our online store.  For the price they're very very good.

Ok chaps some updated photos in daylight. Today I'm dressed entirely by SelfEdge!

DSCN2015_zpse101eb78.jpg

DSCN2018_zps44b700b1.jpg

DSCN2017_zps79d0b687.jpg

edit: In direct sun:

photo_zpsadf481e5.jpg

Also had a great reaction at my local cafe. The barista was staring at them, and I eventually just explained what they were, she asked about the texture, I said she can touch them, "ARE THEY SUPPOSED TO FEEL LIKE THAT!" she squealed. Was pretty funny, and yes, the texture is amazing on these.

Edited by Aries

Thanks for the info, Kiya. I look forward to trying out the engineer at SENY in Nov.

i think you answered your own question. when using a conventional washing machine, the agitation can cause the denim to overbleed, sometimes causing the material to look splotchy in areas that had direct contact with the agitator. turning your jeans inside out reduces this effect, as the inside of the jeans takes all the dircect impact, so to speak. since doing a traditional soak, whether it be in a bathtub, washing machine, bucket, etc. usually warrants little to no agitation, i feel like it doesn't matter if the jeans are inside out or not.

Flat Head's 3XXX series is a notable exception ... it requires much agitation in addition to hot water to maximize shrinkage (if that is the intent).

We'll have two oxfords and one engineer boot November 1st at SENY, SEPDX, and in our online store.  For the price they're very very good.

About how much are we looking at for the engineer boots Kiya?

Thanks

About how much are we looking at for the engineer boots Kiya?

Thanks

Engineers are about $750 and the oxfords are about $460.

Spot on Aries. What waist shrinkage did you get in total? Cheers.

Thanks MJF9.

I got 1" shrinkage in the waist after 2 hot soaks.

p9mF0SBl.jpgI am beginning to love these T's just wish they were a smidgen shorter in the torso. (The antithesis of most I know) 

Took a few pics of my new Vibergs today and the pics really show off the colour and texture (especially 2nd pic) of the SExDB19s.

eccdf27b_DSCN2051.jpeg

8a1eecff_DSCN2053.jpeg

Yeah it's a gorgeous texture, well on par with my SDA xs-33s as the most unique denim textures I've ever felt.

stocking the colored skivvies any time soon?

Yup, we'll have these next week!

Yup, we'll have these next week!

good stuff! love that green.