Self Edge, SF/NY/LA/PDX - updates & info

kiya

Our New Union Special 43200G - Literally "New"

If there is one machine in the current world of vintage style jeans that has the mystique of a fairly tale it's the Union Special 43200G chainstitching machine.

This is the machine the Japanese first scoured the world for starting in the 1980's, they wanted them to place in their factories which reproduced vintage styles of American jeans from the 1950's and before. It was a good twenty years until the rest of the world realized what was happening in Japan, by that time most of the 43200G machines had been bought up by the Japanese factories, brands, and retailers to put in their stores for in-store hemming.

When we opened Self Edge San Francisco five years ago it took us a good six months to find a chainstitching machine that worked properly and wasn't missing essential parts. Two years ago Self Edge New York went through an even harder time finding one of these machines, the story continued a year ago with Self Edge Los Angeles' quest for a machine.

Now all three of our stores have these machines for in-house hemming services. Needless to say these machines are becoming extremely difficult to find and when found the prices they're demanding are high for a retail store to pay, especially in the condition they're coming in. Recently on eBay a 43200G machine sold for $5000 that looked like as if it had been dropped off a cliff, machines in this shape will never work properly for long and will need constant service to keep them hemming in the way they were intended to.

We have just acquired what we feel to be one of the rarest Union Special 43200G machines in existence, a new one. One that has never been used and still has the sample piece of denim hanging out of it's teeth which they test the machine at the factory with before strapping it into a small crate. We went back and forth on whether or not we should be spending a small fortune on a machine that would essentially be redundant considering we already have enough chainstitching machines for our stores. We couldn't resist and honestly bought it purely for the reason of wanting to fondle the thing in person, photos weren't enough. We wanted to hear it's purr as it ripped through hems faster and smoother than any other machine we've seen.

This machine will be assembled with a custom table built by Roy Slaper and will be used on daily basis to hem your jeans at Self Edge San Francisco by Julian Dash of Holy Stitch, SESF's hemming and repair division.

This is otaku at it's finest.

unionspecial_01.jpg

unionspecial_02.jpg

unionspecial_03.jpg

unionspecial_04.jpg

unionspecial_05.jpg

unionspecial_06.jpg

unionspecial_07.jpg

unionspecial_08.jpg

unionspecial_09.jpg

unionspecial_10.jpg

I recently purchased IH 634s in size 28, and they are a near perfect fit everywhere but the waist (true waist is 29-29.5). I'm looking for black denim with a similar fit, but slightly more room in the waist/thigh.

SL-200x (size28) seems like a solid bet, judging by the measurements. How do they compare in terms of fit?

thx!

I recently purchased IH 634s in size 28, and they are a near perfect fit everywhere but the waist (true waist is 29-29.5). I'm looking for black denim with a similar fit, but slightly more room in the waist/thigh.

SL-200x (size28) seems like a solid bet, judging by the measurements. How do they compare in terms of fit?

thx!

I think you should look into the 11BSP from 3sixteen+.

Any word Kiya?

We'll have them at all stores near the same time.

R.J.B. Summer Waffle shirt.

Good news, check the online store, we DO have the shirt. Order away..

Damn; were my RSIIs and Duck's hemmed by Julian on the new US43200G? That'd be kind of awesome if they were.

Cat-Talk will not be up and running until October 1st.

Advice sought.

I have recently lost a ton of weight and my denims mostly don't fit anymore. I would like to reward myself with a new pair.

I have: FH380 36's which are feeling too big for me. Roy $150 denims in 37s which also feel the same way. LVC made in the USA 1947's in 38 which are a big looser. (all of these are baggy in the thigh, loose at the waist, and saggy at the yoke). My SC Okinawa 38's are like wearing sweatpants now, too gigantic to wear for anything other than laying around. My APC NS 34's fit me really well. All of these have been in my rotation for a while and have been hot soaked and then stretched out (also stretched pretty intensely as I was way bigger before, i have lost 30 lbs).

I'd like to get another pair of denims that have a similar fit to the APC's, as they are pretty much destroyed and I can't wear them to work. Checked out the FH 301 and BSP. I think that a 34 in the 301 wouldn't fit me, it would be too small, and the BSP I am worried about being too slim in the leg. Going for denims that are slim but don't look like i am wearing hipstery skinny jeans. I love the FH denim so was leaning that way (and asked a ? in here earlier about it) but I am worried about sizing. Also am looking at the 3Sixteen SL100 and BSP's, and the SC2009. I am open to suggestions about other denims/cuts that might be the ticket, those are the ones that jumped out to me.

Any cut/fit/sizing advice would be greatly appreciated. I spent a ton of time looking at the SE site comparing models, but would love to hear some real-world experience. Thanks in advance!

Kiya - I want to cop the new Flat Head loopwheeled shirt you guys have and Im trying to figure out the sizing. . I'm at work right now so Im not able to take my measurements.

Im assuming its roughly:

40 - small 42- medium 44- large

is this correct?

In regards to sizing on the shirts, do they run small at all? trying to decide between a medium and large.

I know this doesnt really help but Im 5'10" and about 160 lbs.

Kiya - I want to cop the new Flat Head loopwheeled shirt you guys have and Im trying to figure out the sizing. . I'm at work right now so Im not able to take my measurements.

Im assuming its roughly:

is this correct?

In regards to sizing on the shirts, do they run small at all? trying to decide between a medium and large.

We have the same dimensions. I wear a 40 in Flat Head Tees and the fit is snug and a big short. However, it's a flattering look. I feel as though the 42 would be a bit sloppy. It really depends how you like to wear your clothes.

Advice sought.

I have recently lost a ton of weight and my denims mostly don't fit anymore. I would like to reward myself with a new pair.

I have: FH380 36's which are feeling too big for me. Roy $150 denims in 37s which also feel the same way. LVC made in the USA 1947's in 38 which are a big looser. (all of these are baggy in the thigh, loose at the waist, and saggy at the yoke). My SC Okinawa 38's are like wearing sweatpants now, too gigantic to wear for anything other than laying around. My APC NS 34's fit me really well. All of these have been in my rotation for a while and have been hot soaked and then stretched out (also stretched pretty intensely as I was way bigger before, i have lost 30 lbs).

I'd like to get another pair of denims that have a similar fit to the APC's, as they are pretty much destroyed and I can't wear them to work. Checked out the FH 301 and BSP. I think that a 34 in the 301 wouldn't fit me, it would be too small, and the BSP I am worried about being too slim in the leg. Going for denims that are slim but don't look like i am wearing hipstery skinny jeans. I love the FH denim so was leaning that way (and asked a ? in here earlier about it) but I am worried about sizing. Also am looking at the 3Sixteen SL100 and BSP's, and the SC2009. I am open to suggestions about other denims/cuts that might be the ticket, those are the ones that jumped out to me.

Any cut/fit/sizing advice would be greatly appreciated. I spent a ton of time looking at the SE site comparing models, but would love to hear some real-world experience. Thanks in advance!

I'd say look into these jeans:

Strike Gold SG1105

3sixteen+ 11BSP (for a roomier fit)

Flat Head SE05BSP

In all of those you'd be a 34 for a really slim fit or a 36 for some breathing room after the hot water soak.

Im assuming its roughly:

is this correct?

From what you're saying you'd be a 42 for a slim fitting t-shirt. You may be able to fit into a 40 but it's going to be quite tight after it's been washed.

when you gonna get a restock of 666od online?

That jean is only produced about once a year or so, we'll have more when IH does another run of them.

hey kiya, what the difference between ironheart 301 and pbj x011 in terms of fit?

There's an Ironheart thread, a PBJ thread, a Random Denim Questions thread, and there's also a search function.

Stop being lazy and go find the answer, or look at the sizing chart. It's annoying that this thread has turned into an area for lazy people to come ask questions that are either obvious, or easy to find.

any estimates on when the dry bones red-ds will be restocked?

Should be at all stores November 1st.

starting october 1st they plan on having 634XHS and 666XHS

This is a true story.

Hey kiya, my waist is around 76cm. What size should I go for Self Edge x Flat Head x Real Japan Blues = SEXFHXRJB15?

Probably w29?

Since I'm not near either stores, can I order one to try, if it's the right size, then I'll send it back to u guys for hemming service?

Thanks

Go with a size 30 and they should be perfect after a hot water soak.