MISTER FREEDOM

thinkfilm28

• Replies 9.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I for one thank you for stocking the 10, Kiya.

If I am not mistaken I was #1 out of the 10.

:)

But who's counting? Ha!

While I think it is fantastic that Christophe is getting more of the attention he deserves, however like Kiya said this is a bit insulting, and they're actually doing Christophe a disservice in my eyes.

The product he makes simply speaks for itself and doesn't need any additional hype or polishing afaic.

Add to that that J.Crew isn't making themselves look particularly honest/genuine by pulling stunts like this...

In their defense, the text actually comes from men.style so they might as well have made it all up.

Let me break it down for ya:

so when the brand set its sights on creating a military jacket, no surprise that it went for broke on the details.
Ah, so J.Crew actually created this jacket, silly me for thinking all this time that Christophe did...
Made in collaboration with the Hollywood-based vintage hound, designer, and retailer Mister Freedom, the Crew's limited-edition (only seven made)
Ok, I think it's clear now, this jacket was a collaboration between J.Crew and Mister Freedom.

While it is very possible that MF custom marked 7 of the jackets that were delivered to J.Crew, saying that "only seven" were made (and again here, hafway down the page) is perhaps pushing it?

the lining is a wool "naval blanket" (stitched MFSC Navy—that's Mister Freedom and Sugar Cane, the name of the Japanese mill where it was created)
Wait, this is still unclear to me, so this means that the blanket lining was created by a japanese mill named Sugar Cane, or the whole jacket was created there?

And what about the whole collaborative aspect of it? I mean, technically shouldn't it say MFJC on the inside, instead of just the name of the manufacturer??? Why would you just put the name of the manufacturer that big on the inside of the jacke? UNLESS....

As the fabric moves, it creaks like an old house settling. Good for wind-proofing, says the company; less so, presumably, for sneaking up an enemy combatant.
Scoon already covered this, there really is not much sneaking up happening on sea, and frankly you'd think that the navy would keep things like that in the back of their minds while designing battle dress.

I apologize for going all out on this, but such blatant lies from the press tend to piss me off quite a bit, chances are that some reporter just wrote down what a SA at the Liquorstore told him but really, would doing your own research even just a little bit really kill you...?

Quoted the whole text for completeness sake, courtesy of the geniuses over at men.style.com

J.Crew has devoted itself in recent seasons to the atmospheric—the Liquor Store is equal parts stage set and retail space—so when the brand set its sights on creating a military jacket, no surprise that it went for broke on the details. Made in collaboration with the Hollywood-based vintage hound, designer, and retailer Mister Freedom, the Crew's limited-edition (only seven made) deck jacket obsessively reimagines forties naval garb, boasting enough period details to satisfy even the most meticulous armchair ensign. The grosgrain cotton outer layer is loomed to Navy standards, the lining is a wool "naval blanket" (stitched MFSC Navy—that's Mister Freedom and Sugar Cane, the name of the Japanese mill where it was created), and sandwiched between the two is a layer of organdy, a feature of the original jackets on which it was modeled. You won't see it, but you will hear it: As the fabric moves, it creaks like an old house settling. Good for wind-proofing, says the company; less so, presumably, for sneaking up an enemy combatant.

$850, available at the J.Crew Liquor Store, 235 W. Broadway, NYC, (212) 226-5476, jcrew.com

MATTHEW SCHNEIER

Photo: Elissa Wiehn

3:06 PM, January 26, 2009

I knew that post was coming.. haha..

I don't think we should take this conversation any further about the jacket and J.Crew. It's good exposure, men.style wrote a piece that has factual errors, and Superfuture is ready to destroy any journalist that doesn't do his homework.

I wasn't paying much attention and already passed the year mark on my 7161's so I figured I'd give them another wash.

So far 5 washes, all with dark detergent and on 40 degrees celcius.

Not at all planning to retire these yet.

Raw:

3233616501_41724daab6_o.jpg

370 days:

3233623541_38c8f12c62_o.jpg

Raw:

3234473566_dbe08c51ec_o.jpg

370 days:

3233623907_2171075e58_o.jpg

Some details:

Raw:

1103077762_554c3fe0ae.jpg

370 days:

3196736201_a9e1845f6b.jpg

Inside back

Raw:

1102414319_92716246a8.jpg

370 days:

3197583802_5f78a51a68.jpg

Edo-Ai knee patch

Raw:

999906665_e7e7c75c8e.jpg

370 days:

3196742859_7e3071bcf5.jpg

+Rep! Jesus, nice wear! Makes my 7163's I posted a page back or so seem downright pedestrian. What the hell do you do in you jeans that breaks them in so quick?

-Jake

Cotton's 7162's just ruined my day! I had a pair of those ON in Osaka... but got Evisu No1's instead when I couldn't get both.

WHY? Evisus weren't a limited edition that I was lucky to even find...

My resolution is that if they do a 3rd run of 7162's, I will not allow anything to stand in my way of getting them.

Ha, thanks for all the praise, heh heh...

Jake I wouldn't say a year is very quick, I've seen plenty jeans more worn in after a year.

But yea, I just wear them and don't worry about them too much, occasionally jump a fence or climb a building and fall of my bike every once in a while, but apart from that, nothing very out of the ordinary.

Zissou, I'd say start hunting on Rakuten etc, a pair might pop up, when I was in Japan in Dec I saw a couple of pairs of the hardwashes in some stores but none of the one wash (MF himself was the only one to cary raws)

Akuma I alternate weekly between these and my md's, my 7163's are currently left hanging a bit as I have been working some construction in them and they're covered in a layer of grey dust and more paint splatters, they could do with a wash soonish aswell.

I thought I'd add my praise to this thread, too.

What's great about these jeans, apart from the lovely variation in wear between the various denims, is the fantastic old school wear: great thigh fades, but not the over-done whiskers and honeycombs, like you see so often.

Maybe I'm jumping the gun a bit, but is there any word on future season releases?

I browsed this thread last night over some cold brews and really enjoyed it. This stuff is beautiful and if it wasn't obvious, Mr. Duck proves it.

After looking over all of the custom stenciling done for Cotton Duck's stuff, I though I might try my hand at a stencil. I just free handed it (with the mental image of the naval factory anchor logo) and used a utility knife to cut it out, so it's imperfect, but I think it just adds to the charm :) I was born on a US naval base on the south coast of Spain in a town called Rota, so I went from there (it goes well with my dad's old USS Ticonderoga hat and pea coat).

DSC03974.jpg

I know it's not Mr. Freedom, but this thread inspired me, so I suppose this is the place to put it.

Cross posted from pea coat thread. Given the Naval theme of Mister Freedom, I thought this was a worthy contribution to the thread. Mods, feel free to delete if you deem me incorrect.

This is my Pea Coat. Based on the type of wool, the number of buttons, pocket lining, and label, I believe my coat is of around 1965 vintage.

After this winter, my jacket needs a good dry cleaning, and the lining in the armpits needs to be sewn, as the stitching came loose. But the wool shell has no holes or tears of any kind. I was a nice find on ebay, for cheap, I think $70, shipped. Can't beat vintage, in my opinion.

Front:

DSCN1564.jpg?t=1233518711

Label:

DSCN1565.jpg?t=1233518736

Petty Officer 1st Class Rating:

DSCN1571.jpg?t=1233518770

Lining Stencils:

DSCN1566.jpg?t=1233518900

DSCN1567.jpg?t=1233518919

DSCN1568.jpg?t=1233518943

Pocket Corduroy Lining:

DSCN1570.jpg?t=1233518981

Cuff Detail:

DSCN1573.jpg?t=1233519011

-Jake

Just received my CPO shirt today (thanks again to Kiya for the usual alacrity and cunning concerning UK Customs!).

Just drying it now after the soak, hopefully will fit perfectly. The fabric is beautiful and this garment has obviously been made with a lot of love and attention to detail.

I'll post fit pics if anyone wants to see, it's an XL.

Just received my CPO shirt today (thanks again to Kiya for the usual alacrity and cunning concerning UK Customs!).

Just drying it now after the soak, hopefully will fit perfectly. The fabric is beautiful and this garment has obviously been made with a lot of love and attention to detail.

I'll post fit pics if anyone wants to see, it's an XL.

fit pics please :D

How does Kiya get the packages through customs? Any special tricks?

Ask him to mark the package as a "gift", it will get through UK customs tax free.

Ok guys, here are the requested fit pics. This is immediately after drying, still slightly damp so it's a bit rigid and unflattering. Also noticed I've given myself a double-chin from bending my neck down to look at the camera as I take the pics... Argh.

Cuffs down silhouette:

33939087d08a6ddd7023b9f24d806dc87ecf9a1.jpg

Cuffs up silhouette:

339390794c23658cdd4dbc9a0db631dff6ec86a.jpg

Cuffs down close-up:

33939101da3f40a62296036188b37f57ab728fc.jpg

Cuffs up close-up:

3393909c24163e7e3245a75efce0cd5887fca1b.jpg

Is the fit ok? Cuffs down or cuffs up?

6'2. The shirt is currently not touching my body beneath the upper chest, giving a slightly baggy silhouette, but I'm sure that will soften up with a week or more of wear and it will drape a bit nicer.

What do you think of the general fit? Cuffs up or down?