cultpop 0217 vs Shark [title match]

cultpop 0217

• Replies 387
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Now I'm not sure what YOUR definition of success is, but I figure that a Law degree with honours is probably a fairly universal indicium of achievement in both high- and low-brow circles?

With a bit of luck, I'll be taking my bows as a Barrister within the next year or so. And yeah, I wear suit and tie to work (pretty bloody nice ones, too - amazing how cheap you can find Zegna, Gucci, etc when you look for it), and look like a good little worker bee. The rest of the time, boots, jeans, leather jacket in cold weather...

I'm 22. God willing, I'll be doing the same thing when I'm 32, etc etc.

Congrats man, And good luck on the bar. Heard that it's stressful but well worth it.

I'm 32. It can be done, though it's a whole lot easier in academia. I dunno Shark. I can legitimately put a list of letters after my name, which no one does because it is pretentious (most of my friends can do the same, so it's no biggie,) I got my doctorate from one of the best universities in the world, and work at another now. And I'm hardly the best example A couple who are friends of mine recently both got faculty jobs at MIT, which I'm sure you've heard of, and they are among the chillest people I know. The girl, expecially, has great fasion sense. And one of my best friends works at JPL (you know, the martian lander place?) and women flock to him. I shit you not. Dude is a chick magnet. Of course, being 6'2", 195 lbs or thereabouts, good looking and being cut like a rock (dude is strong too - if I am in trouble, he's the guy I want taking my back) hasn't hurt him any. He wears a lot of the same stuff I do (more tees and fewer hoodies since he is still in LA), and is thirty now. Anyway, just to let you know that you can be accomplished and mature, and look good, and not dress in a suit and tie everyday. I'm not bullshitting, nor am I attempting to boast. Just giving examples of cases where you don't have to give up your "look" in order to be successful. These people are all legit, and if I gave you names, they'd pop up on google at the places I mentioned.

hmm... what is success? i dont make six figures a year. i dont own a suit. i shop almost exclusively at thrift stores for my clothes. i dont own a car. i dont own a house. im 26.

i feel i am successful tho.

i have a good career. i have 2 beautiful and amazing children. i have made connections with people that allow me to pursue my passions without having a ton of money. i am generally happy. how?

well... my goals in life have never been to have a couple benzes, or to own a condo in the nice part of town, or to land the hottest women. my goal is to be able to do what i love, and to see my children grow up healthy and happy. im broke, but my kids are fed and happy, and i still get to skate 10 hours a week after working a 55 hour workweek. i feel good within myself about what i have done with my life up to this point, and that is true success.

Agreed. Just trying to put something out there that Shark might consider successful. Is all.

hmm... what is success? i dont make six figures a year. i dont own a suit. i shop almost exclusively at thrift stores for my clothes. i dont own a car. i dont own a house. im 26.

i feel i am successful tho.

i have a good career. i have 2 beautiful and amazing children. i have made connections with people that allow me to pursue my passions without having a ton of money. i am generally happy. how?

well... my goals in life have never been to have a couple benzes, or to own a condo in the nice part of town, or to land the hottest women. my goal is to be able to do what i love, and to see my children grow up healthy and happy. im broke, but my kids are fed and happy, and i still get to skate 10 hours a week after working a 55 hour workweek. i feel good within myself about what i have done with my life up to this point, and that is true success.

If my father had dressed in rags that he so proudly exclaimed he got as great deals from the local thrift store, I most probably wouldn't aspire to live on the North Shore, drive a Benz or two and have a healthy net worth.

Oh yeah totally right, because of course, any kid who grows up in the thrift stores automatically wants to grow up to be a bum. That's just ignorant, and besides what the hell does it matter if some person turns out to be rich, aren't there far more important things in life than money? Things like feelings of self worth, honesty, values, the things that make someone like cult a stand up guy.

I would have to think that most people measure success in the way Shark does. There has to be quite a bit of conformity to garner the lakeside house and luxury car (for most; I know that of course there are people with neck tattoos that do bank, but that must be the exception to the rule), and that of course a person who values those things is going to say someone who is thirty should not dress in the way cultpop does. However, it is obvious that on superfuture people do not measure success in the same way. I mean, really, how does having a nice house and car measure how happy you are, or how well you raise your kids, or how good your relationships are? There is no direct correlation (but I won't deny that money makes some things easier), so there should be a mistrust in this notion of 'success'. In fact, I find myself torn by this same argument because logically I know that money doesn't buy happiness, but damn, money can buy me an Engineered Garments jacket (I was hypnotized by ddml) which would make me pretty happy.

Pathetic weak spam flarez Kill kill kill

Guest jeffvyain

also, if you're just that good looking, id love to see a picture. not because i think you are actually ugly, and lying about your attractive face, but well, because i like men, and just want to see.

that was the quote of the thread for me. shark's probably not too badlooking of a guy, but i doubt he'd be here trying to bring people down if, being as goodlooking as he is, he still doesn't have a great deal of insecurity. secure people don't come on message boards and attempt to make other people feel bad about themselves. let's be honest, here, sharky. are you compensating for something?

and your most recent argument about buying designer clothes second hand is whack... people on this board hardly buy clothes for the name and social status symbols; rather, they buy them for the fit, quality, durability, etc. That was a pretty broad consensus of a lot of people on the board, but for the most part, I'd say it was a correct one. Buying things second hand satisfies the fit, quality, etc but also saves us a few bucks. I'm sure you'll find a way to argue against that logic, but I think it'd be pretty stupid to disagree with that sort of rationality

buying second hand makes it a little easier to buy premium denim. i got my sugar cane sc40400n's second-hand, my eternals third-hand. i'm not sure i could have justified the purchases otherwise.

it sounds like you have a problem with other people, or dirt, or both. a puritanical strain that must be overcome.

"Damn, that's nice.. and a desiger label at that! Wow, where'd you get it??"

"Thrift store"

"You mean, that place that sells used clothes, usually of deceased ppls'?"

"Yea"

"Uhm.. nevermind (look of confusion followed by a loss of appreciation)"

never happend to me. usually if i say thrift store, they say "you lucky bastard"

and yeah, i feel your elitist attitude is disgusting. if i dont make enough money to buy designer clothes i should settle for poor fitting and poorly made clothing? so you can tell the haves from the have nots? fuck that. im gonna keep looking good, and im gonna do it shopping at thrift stores and sewing.

buying second hand makes it a little easier to buy premium denim. i got my sugar cane sc40400n's second-hand, my eternals third-hand. i'm not sure i could have justified the purchases otherwise.

it sounds like you have a problem with other people, or dirt, or both. a puritanical strain that must be overcome.

you have eternals?

oh... if it wasnt for thrift stores i wouldnt have my sugarcanes. or the beautiful vintage denim that i traded for them.