Evolution of Leather Goods: Before and After Pictures

what tools do you need to get started in leatherworking? i made the coin pouches with a pair of scissors, a steak knife, and a rolling pin to hammer the rivets and buttons.

also, any good online sources for nice leathers? like i said, i got the leather for these from an old pair of shoes, but thats not feasable for making alot of things

also, any good online sources for nice leathers? like i said, i got the leather for these from an old pair of shoes, but thats not feasable for making alot of things

i asked the same question, and b-dawg replied with this site; tandyleatherfactory.com

pretty cool site. i'd like to know what tools are good to start off with to make a wallet, too.

Maybe it would be smart to start off with one of the make your own wallet kits, so you can get some of the techniques down on a piece that has instructions and probably pre-cut leather. I looked around on that website and I don't think I would even know where to start in terms of buying tools/supplies.

I'm not saying this is the reason why most people aren't offering up what they use to make wallets, but if everyone was making their own, people that are selling wallets would not be able to command the prices they do. Just like how a magician never tells how a trick is done, I suppose.

2174688380_3f97aec7a6.jpg

2173899923_82552bd530.jpg

first long wallet! getting sent out tomorrow, i think it came out perfect. it's custom week, so next is james nicholas' custom mid. what do yall think of this one?

This looks amazing Corter. Any chance you'll start putting button snaps on your mid-length wallets?

Looks real good Corter, I still can't visually breakdown how you do the zippered pockets.

i think what you do, is first, take a square/rectangle of leather, then cut out the hole for the zipper in ther middle, sew it on, then fold the thing in half so the zipper is all centered and lined up, then stitch down the sides, voila, coin pocket.

edit: notice the conveniently quoted pic above this post!

to those wondering about tools, i am not sure exactly what i need, but i ordered what i thought seemed necessary. i got an awl for punching stitch holes, thick leather needles, saddler's thread (35 pound waxed thread), a doohickey with a interchangable wheel with 5, 6, or 7 spikes on it to mark out where to punch the stitch holes (maybe not necessary, but seems like it should yield better results than freehanding or measuring it), a beveler to round out edges, and some liquid (eco-flow gum tragacanth) and a little round tool called an edge slicker to finish the edges . might as well throw in that i got a single 4-5 oz. shoulder, and a 2 oz. petite calf skin for lining/card pockets.

if any wallet makers can see that i missed any tools, please let me know.

i asked the same question, and b-dawg replied with this site; tandyleatherfactory.com

pretty cool site. i'd like to know what tools are good to start off with to make a wallet, too.

I bought this manual and received it this weekend along with some basic tools from this site. they shipped really quickly.

http://www.onestopcandle.com/Merchant2/merchant.mvc?Screen=PROD&Store_Code=OSC&Product_Code=LE6189100&Category_Code=LBOOK

thanks guys.

chinaman6- pm'd

photo- like b-dawg said, basically just cut a long hole in the middle of a piece of leather, sew the zipper around, fold in half. getting it perfectly centered is a little tricky as if it's off to one side sometimes it goes under and it's hard to open. just try to keep it off to the side that will make it move over (if that makes any sense???)

cheep- tandy leather is the main source on the internet, they supply for a lot of even famous leather makers (my local guy supplied tools for louis vuitton employees in the 80s). their leather tends to be a bit pricey but if you get in the club it's better priced.

heres a little tool list, a lot of people seem to be getting into this (which is awesome!) so we should probably compile a list to save the same question over and over again.

Corter's list of basic leather working tools and goods

scissors for snipping thread

awl

sewing needles (I use thick regular needles...not leatherworking blunt ones)

edge beveler

overstitch wheel

#2 exacto w/ extra blades

ruler/T square

misc. circle shaped objects for curves

Button/rivet/eyelet setters

hammer

leatherweld

waxed thread (synthetic or regular is fine)

leather

edge finishing product

sharpie for slicking edges

self healing cutting mat (will keep your knife sharp way longer and your table safe)

i think thats basically all i use. I'm one to do a lot with a little, so i'm sure you can buy all tyes of stitching ponies and random gadgets, but this will get you started for about $100 including some leather.

thanks for the list corter, seems like i did ok then, haha. i just bought a self healing mat and T square yesterday. i went to michaels to find the mat, they only had 9x12, so i went to joann fabrics and found a rotary mat that is 18x24 for just a few bucks more.

Thanks for the info Corter on the zippered pocket, but how do you then attach it to the wallet?

I also hit up Tandy Leather Factory, there was a shop in my city. I would definately recommend seeing if your city has one and going there. I talked to a lady there for an hour, thats where the leather heads get down, one dude was telling me about the leather chaps he just made.

In terms of tools I got

http://tandyleatherfactory.com/products.asp?number=11189-00

Its a kit that has got pretty much everything in it, I was lucky enough to score it for $30.

On top of that I got a bevel for finishing the edges

Stitching pony which is a clamp setup that you sit on and holds the object on its own, third hand, not necassary but great help and it was only $11

A bone slicker I think it was called helps finish the edges, kinda wish I didn't get it not that useful

Another set of needles ones that didn't have large eyes like the ones in the kit

Then a half shoulder of 4-5oz leather, this is where I really recommend going to the store if possible, that way you can pick the piece you like best, plus it smells really good but that might be just me.

I will try and get some photos up soon, I got 2 wallets and a card case which I really liked how it turned out.

Think thats it.

I'm not saying this is the reason why most people aren't offering up what they use to make wallets, but if everyone was making their own, people that are selling wallets would not be able to command the prices they do. Just like how a magician never tells how a trick is done, I suppose.

I just read this and I think you bring up a good point, because it's been something i've been experiencing lately. Caution: mini rant ahead:

I get probably 3 pm's or emails a week lately with people that are mad because I won't tell how I do something, or where I get something, or what I use for something. I choose what I answer carefully for a couple reasons. I didnt have anyone to ask when I learned. It took many long nights on google reading, lots of scraps and cuts and wasted material, lots of pieces that didn't quite work, and lots of learning, drawing, and visual deconstructing to get where I am right now with being able to make pretty much any sort of wallet. However, all of this gave me my own style, it gave me my own techniques. I've talked to many leathersmiths in the past few months who say the only right way to make anything is the wrong way: that everyone in this trade does things a bit different. So I won't really talk about construction a lot, because I want to see other peoples solutions to these problems. We don't want a sufu leather style, believe me. Second, designing a piece is my favorite part of the process! Work to really think out designs and it helps become a better artist.

On selling: if you're getting into this to make a quick buck, it's probably the wrong reason to do it. I've told a few people this, but really ask yourself if you'd still be interested in it if you wouldn't make any money. A lot of people have learned how to make a wallet, and triend to sell the first one they make. I refused people for months before I sold something, it'd be like doing your first oil change then opening a car repair shop 2 days later. Practice! then...sell if you want, it's pretty fun and a good way to fund your supplies. I sell because if i didn't, i'd have 35 wallets sitting in my room. However, you'll never get redmoon prices, and you most deff. won't get flathead prices...shits out of controll and way overpriced.

Basically all I'm saying is your post triggered me to be really excited everyone is getting into this, but I want everyone to understand that it's not just punching holes and threading a needle. it takes a lot of practice and artistry.phhhew...felt good

nicely said corter

and i can definitely vouch for corters professionalism and love for what he does. I ordered a custom piece from him (and will probably be hitting him up again soon) and he probably made 3 or 4 different "versions" of what I wanted but because he felt he could make a better or improved version due to something he learned while making it, he made a new one until he was satisfied. he definitely takes pride in his work and I can see him doing this for a long time because he has a true love for it.

damn, i feel like I'm writing a review on on of my workers.

anyways, corters work and professionalism is top notch and I will definitely be buying from him again.

khoiphan, could you please tell me how you managed to get those cardslots to attach to the main piece of the wallet? It looks the main piece is 1 layer, yet the stitching is just along the edge of the whole piece. I've spent the last 5 minutes trying to figure out how you got the card slots to attach. also, what is the purpose of the 2 lines of stitching above the cardslots? thank, my apologies if that was a bit confusing.

yes and also theres a slot for money

my stuff came in this evening. i'm making an ipod holder to strap to my messenger bag strap to test/hone my abilities, or lack thereof before starting my wallet. the leather is kinda too thickfor an ipod holder, but whatever, should be interesting.

Hey if anyone wants to do anything in leather besides untanned wallets (maybe bags, or garments or you just want different leather) check out leatherwise on ebay, he has really good prices and huge variety, although only the most outlandish stuff is on his store, contact him, he usually has more stuff that he doesn't show.

wow photo, very nice. looks almost perfect, edges seem a tiny bit rough, might just be the angle though .great work

Ya I can't quite get the edges smooth for some reason, I am using the tool that is suppose to help, but it doesn't really. I am gonna try the treatment liquid that they sell and see how that is.