Evolution of Leather Goods: Before and After Pictures

i cant do clear windows right now :( sorry, but i could probably find another way to make it work.

b-dawg- nice braiding, but will that s clip fall off?

i never understood the concept of the plastic window in your wallet. if you get pulled over and cop asks to see your drivers license you don't hand him your whole wallet do you? no, you end up spending a minute trying to pull your license out of that damn plastic window. i could do without it.

have you thought about making a passport holder wallet? there's one that blackbird is selling that's exactly what i'm looking for but it's very pricey. maybe you can do something similar?

i think i'm going to make something where the window pocket is at the end of like 5 individual card holder slots all folded up, so when you flip it at the cop you actually hit him in the face. It'll be special edition, and everyone will want one, for sure :)

edit- rome, good point. if you're keeping a wallet 5-10 years, that plastic would get really nasty (mold, haze, etc) and you'd probably remove it anyways. how about i make it like the kanye glasses, so it looks like your id's behind bars haha

edit- rome, good point. if you're keeping a wallet 5-10 years, that plastic would get really nasty (mold, haze, etc) and you'd probably remove it anyways. how about i make it like the kanye glasses, so it looks like your id's behind bars haha

I agree with the not "using plastic deal" in wallets; It just kinda subtracts from the natural asthetic. Here was my solution to aforementioned Kanye glasses :cool:.

th_CIMG0945.jpg

I just did angular cuts to hold the Id and kinda sanded the area down to the point where the DL would lay flat with everything else, and then I dyed it to not make it look so wierd.

thetruscan- that is an intense operation! I almost fainted.

thetruscan- that is an intense operation! I almost fainted.

Yeah, it'll look a lot better with some goo-gone taking the glue off the inside. But, it's definitely severe. The thing is, I like the aesthetic of wallets with snaps, but carrying a wallet 1.5"+ thick is really unpleasant for me. Also, american coins have no value. Coin pockets make sense when you have 500 yen or 2 pound coins, but for quarters?

Also, american coins have no value. Coin pockets make sense when you have 500 yen or 2 pound coins, but for quarters?

*cough* no comment.

i use mine :(

until i get that flathead coin case in the mail :)

and that license holder is real nice, optima. in fact, the details in your wallet are really nice.

I use my coin pocket becuase we get coins in change, so instead of just dumping them in a jar every night i try to use them and not break bills. I also love making coin pockets, I think they add the most character to a piece. our coins kind of don't make much sense though, I agree with you.

Okaaaaaaaaaaay.....Very nice stuff Corter.

I wish I held of on the RM style bandwagon. I grabbed one when, I think we all kind of started being aware of them, from xColdricex on his first round of Proxying and the colour has just not turned to the brown all others have, including yours Corter.

I may have to replace.

So I am new to this leather wallet deal, but thanks to Corter I can experience the again of leather as well. Is it a bad idea to just rock untanned leather without doing anything to it for treatment or tanning? I remember someone saying they were gonna do this but never saw any updates.

if you treat it, then it'll increase its life and durability. i'm not exactly sure what tanning does to it, though. i always thought it was for the aesthetics.

speaking of leather care. i only have wax... is there a big difference between wax and oil?

So I am new to this leather wallet deal, but thanks to Corter I can experience the again of leather as well. Is it a bad idea to just rock untanned leather without doing anything to it for treatment or tanning? I remember someone saying they were gonna do this but never saw any updates.
It's really up to you. There was a discussion some pages back arguing that tanning/oiling would go against the wabi-sabi rules but it became an unspoken consensus that the term is rather subjective. Tanning is actually not really that good for the leather in general but a lot of people find that it gives the leather character (helps with desired patina). Oiling is a little more important, it just keeps the leather hydrated, as leather is pretty much, to take and twist the denim term, "your second skin" except for the fact that it still is skin, and like skin must be oiled to prevent cracking.

I want to say oiling before wear prevents marginal indigo stains but I can't attest to the full validity of that statement; I'm sure it does aid in preventing minor indigo transfers if oiled. I think No $ and westbrook did no oiling with their redmoons and they turned out fine (Westbrook's is oddly quite orange or sunburnt = [), here's the link:

http://www.superfuture.com/supertalk/showthread.php?t=14770

I recommend oiling after initial tan (if you so choose to do so) and then just not oiling for a half year to a year, oiling only when it looks necessary as daily contact with your hands should be a sufficient.

i'm different from everyone in that I oil, then tan, then oil again. then...i'm done, unless the piece starts to crack. don't know why I do it, but I do, and my wallet looks pretty cool, so I stick to it. I think I reason that if you put oil on your skin you'll b urn faster than if you dont....who knows.

Oil also gives the leather some water resistance, and I've heard that tanning prevents indigo stains to a degree? I just assume that because the leather's absorbed the oil, it won't absorb as much of anything else, be it water, indigo, whatever. then again, i usually make something out of leather so it doesn't break...how it tans and evolves are usually second.

Oil prevents cracking and scuffing. The Obenaufs LP contains beeswax that releases over time to help prevent the leather when being used under stressful conditions. The regular Obenaufs oil does the same thing but is not as protective, due to the fact that it is mainly used on small leather goods and other items not taking such a beating from the elements.

I decided to apply some Obensauf LP to my Visvim Bucks (Don't ask me why i was bored one day). Anywas they darken the boot (use to me more of a light color think Timberland) which I don't mind. Thing is the foot of one boot is darker then the other. Wondering anybody know how I can fix this. Would it eventually wear down? Should I apply more Obenauf to the rest of the two boots to even it out?

Picture152.jpg

Hard to tell in picture, but BOTTOM toe cap section is darker then TOP boot.