Evolution of Leather Goods: Before and After Pictures

thanks ken! if you ever try to learn i'll help you with exactly what to get, its a lot of trial and error when you do it on your own. i think most of it's just practice, once i didnt have school work i've been doing like 8 hours a day just making random little things to improve my craft on the big things people buy.

traynor- thanks! and yea, i can make leather braided bracelets, i learned how to do the magic braid ones. it was a big hit with my family, i think i made 10 of em over thanksgiving for everyone (should do an evo when i come home for christmas haha) but i could make like, braided chain-type bracelets I bet too. I need to learn knots, they're my next quest.

Just a curious question... I just bought a raw belt that needs tanning. However, it's winter here and has been cold/snowing/raining for the past week, and without a good day of sun in sight. Anyways, what is needed for leather to tan? Is it the heat or the UV rays from the sun, or is it a combination of the two?

we had this "discussion" a few pages back. its the UVA lights that cause skins to tan so while there might not be as much sunlight during the winter, something tells me if you left your belt in the window for a few days in a spot that generally gets a good amount of light, it will probably tan some but it will just be a longer, slower process.

I also wondered if taking your leather goods to a tanning salon would work....i dont see why not. might look weird walking into a booth fully clothed with a bunch of leather goods though........or just walk in wearing a banana hammock and your leather belt/wallet

came across this on ebay

looks like a nice leather ammunition pouch

41cb_1_b.JPG

like to see what it looks like in person if it was cheaper....

you guys are awesome, thanks so much for the encouragement. had a rough semester, it's nice to put all my energy into this

to answer some questions, i won't be making a catalog, however i'm working on a logo and branding to make it into something i can use a) in my design portfolio and B) just to give everything a stamp so I know I did it. I'd love to keep working at this, it really is something i've fallen into and i love doing, so thanks for the encouragement because it does help a lot to push me.

and...i'm planning on about 12-15 pieces for sale by the 20th, probably a bunch of regulars, some mids, and a couple longs, with some misc. cardholders and braids and stuff too. A lot of it depends on when my next leather order comes in, I might put some out before and some after christmas.

This was cross posted from PYC, in retrospect, this was probably the better place to put this. This was my first project that I finished about 2 months ago, I really haven't had time to work on anything new, but after finals I plan to.

I was inspired by corters advice to test the leather waters in one of his earlier posts and I'm fairly happy with how it turned out, but overall it was mostly a learning experience with a lot of room for improvement.

Sewing the body to the shell which is lined with deerskin as opposed to the FHs pigskin.

th_CIMG0942.jpg

My inspiration was taken from the FH mid (IE: similar CC slots/dyed exterior piece design/sizing) with alterations preformed due to personal functionality... I'm never not wearing jeans so I keep my coins in my coin pocket so I replaced the coin slot with an ID holder + misc. pocket for extraneous cards. I also don't carry more than 4 credit cards =0.

th_CIMG0945.jpg

Finishing the stitching through 3 different layers. Brass plated steel D-ring. Artificial sinew through the dyed piece (the stitching there was a little tough; backstitching was a bitch).

th_CIMG0944.jpg

Credit card slots are lined with deerskin as well.

th_CIMG0963-1.jpg

You can make out some of the veins in the leather.

th_CIMG0969-1.jpg

It's roughly 6" by 3"

th_CIMG0968.jpg

open/flat

th_CIMG0959.jpg

tanning.

th_CIMG0957-1.jpg

I don't have any post-tan pics but it tanned to a nice caramely colour. The leather I used was actually a decent find of Craftsman Oak(I know not the best but it was my first project) single shoulder 5oz tooling leather. Corter I will catch up to you someday.:rolleyes:

wow Optima, that's a super intense first project, it came out really good for your first! I gotta say, if you keep up with it you'll never want to give up your first piece, i'm still carrying mine around and when it comes up in conversation I proudly show it off, even though I know my newer stuff is better in terms of quality.

If i could offer advice, it would be to start off now on easy projects. that will force you to worry less about constructing the entire piece and more about the craft of each cut. It helps if you can make it in one sitting, as you'll really be psyched to start with a piece of leather and end up with a sweet looking cardcase or something in less time.

all in all though, way better than my first attempt, i can't even currently do some of the things you went for there!

i'm down...what are we making? we should get a leather sponsor, haha, or like...I don't know, a shop to sponsor us. I want to win a redmoon internship.

oh! here's my own little contest. can anyone find a supplier for this type rivet/hardware, the one that holds the chain? i think it's so clean, i want to use them but can't find them. even a name would be good, thanks!

Hardware in Question

Thanks guys! It means a lot being complimented by you corter:o I totally know what you mean about smaller projects, I think spreading it out over a couple of days helped me focus on one thing at a time so each little piece became a small project I eventually combined to finish the whole, but yeah, especially for the first project I wanted to get something to show for my work immediately.

Leather contest-- give it some time and I'll be down for this!

As for the hardware in question, I think FlatHead calls theirs an F-ring. Don't really think that helps at all though =P.

My last final is tomorrow and I'm super stoked to get to go to my local tannery and get some more supplies, I've got some great project ideas lined up.

I always keep an eye out for shit like that, I have a box with a ton of hook and fastner type things, never know what Im gonna use them for tho. I have been keeping an eye on your projects and when some spare time arrives aI may be trying my hand at this leather fabrication game thats been going on round here. Truly impressed with your new stuff ...very clean.