Evolution of Leather Goods: Before and After Pictures

hey that look amazing rome. One of the things that impacts me the most about recieving something is the packaging. If it is right it just makes the recieving the item so much nicer, and if it was a little steep pricewise makes it easier on the wallet. In fact this almost tempts me to get one myself. Please tell me what other colouors you use and any other details. I am going to check the leather crerations thread now.

As I'm waiting for my belt to come from corter, I had a question. I've never bought anything of natural leather before so what will I need to oil/tan my new belt? I don't really know what the process is and searches yielded little. If I didn't treat it at all would it just stay that sort of beige color? Thanks.

As I'm waiting for my belt to come from corter, I had a question. I've never bought anything of natural leather before so what will I need to oil/tan my new belt? I don't really know what the process is and searches yielded little. If I didn't treat it at all would it just stay that sort of beige color? Thanks.

even if you didn't treat it, it will not stay that beige color. usually people tan then oil but its totally up to you

if you search this thread with the words "oil" or "tanning" you will get plenty of results

Had this for..... a month and a half?

i oiled it with a cleaner/oiler.

i stopped making wallets for awhile because the leather quality at tandy's isnt too great. It had range marks and holes everywhere... i think ill just buy the higher end leather. then more stuff will come out. Boy do i miss leathermaking :(

DSCN2841.jpg

DSCN2843.jpg

DSCN2845.jpg

and the last thing i completed for a friend

DSCN2820.jpg

Kicking myself for not bringing a camera with me tonight. Went to a hibachi place for my friends birthday and the chef had a belt on over his apron worn like a gunbelt, only he had a metal holster with a knife in it, and you could tell he has had it forever and he took good care of it, beautiful dark brown with unique wear from doing crazy cooking shit. Sorry for no pics, just wanted to share my asian gunslinger cook story.

Had this for..... a month and a half?

i oiled it with a cleaner/oiler.

i stopped making wallets for awhile because the leather quality at tandy's isnt too great. It had range marks and holes everywhere... i think ill just buy the higher end leather. then more stuff will come out. Boy do i miss leathermaking :(

just gotta pick your own hides out man, learn what leather will feel like that tans well. this is tandy leather, i think its doing pretty good :) :

2198852734_d64b4bf86c.jpg

I knew he was going to send me the wallet rein, but he also threw in something else:

Now, I made a small leather sewing kit for myself a little while back

2197133755_fb141f6b9c.jpg

2197133929_c66a519bac.jpg

more info, here

But he made me a MUCH nicer one, mine was really quickly hand done, wich also has it's charme, and I'll probably come up with another use for it, but it didn't come close to this:

2245060418_fc0cc6aa93.jpg

2245060532_9bd7641b70.jpg

2244267855_0ae9f0a013.jpg

That is indeed a ducky...

2245061026_fe2efedafc.jpg

2245976819_d25f834fd8.jpg

in use

2246775122_65816f9773_o.jpg

2245977039_854d1f8e94.jpg

backside stitching detail

What a wonderfull surprise!

Thanks so much!!!

And eventhough he's only doing it for fun at the moment I would like to suggest that you start annoying him with questions so he can maybe be convinced to start making more things!

(I couldn't decide whether I would put this in here or in the PYC thread...)

So I've been using obenauf's on my leather goods. It's great stuff, however, it darkens the leather.

Does anyone know if pecards darkens leather as well?

edit: Just recieved a response from pecards...

"All oil-based conditioners will darken light leathers somewhat. Even water will darken leather until it evaporates. When the fat liquors that are put in leather at the tannery are lost from leather, it will lighten the tone of the leather. When you put oils back in the leather it should bring back the same color as it was originally.

All that to say, yes, Pecards Leather Dressing will darken light colored leathers a little"

yeah the key holder starts out a rust color and ages nicely, its a shame that mine hasn't seen too much action lately.

@ Cotton, rein is really nice man, but the sewing kit is off tha charts man!

props to Optima Dies!!!

That really is one beautifully aged piece of leather. It looks like a vintage saddle bag. Honestly looks like many years of loving.

Red Moon Keyholder

2241595443_4801fab943.jpg

2228850890_ccbb2a5e11.jpg