Evolution of Leather Goods: Before and After Pictures

well, the whole idea would be to design the best wallet, because i mean, a lot of us have the craft down pretty good.

dibadiba- use an awl to punch, or thicker thread. that should solve it.

ken- I do, you'd have to use thin leather, like 1.5-3 oz, that's pouchmaking stuff. I have one skin that weight right now. Look for...I think its called...a kip tooling belly? something like that, super buttery and the right weight for pouches.

Just went to the tannery and got my first full side of leather, shit cost me a pretty penny but it's totally worth it cause everyones loving all their wallets. the things almost 8 ft. long!

oh so all along youve been buying precut 1 square foot pieces? you shouldve bought the full sides all along. if you go to tandys they will give you 50% off. My dad doesnt talk english to well and confused them along with himself so instead of 50% off of 1 item they gave 50% off of everything + a free 50 dollar tool.

yeah im down for the contest.

im excited :)

so i have all my leather and tools coming in the mail tomorrow, and i have a few questions that i would really appreciate answered. i never see knots or anything tying off the thread. what is the technique used here? also when cutting, do you use something to the effect of an xacto knife?

i never see knots or anything tying off the thread. what is the technique used here?

You just backstitch a few stitches at the end of a seam like you would with a sewing machine.

...when cutting, do you use something to the effect of an xacto knife?

I use a steady hand, a straight edge, and a cheap box cutter with a sharp razor blade.

Hope that helps, others might have different techniques.

khoiphan, could you please tell me how you managed to get those cardslots to attach to the main piece of the wallet? It looks the main piece is 1 layer, yet the stitching is just along the edge of the whole piece. I've spent the last 5 minutes trying to figure out how you got the card slots to attach. also, what is the purpose of the 2 lines of stitching above the cardslots? thank, my apologies if that was a bit confusing.

kho- flip the 2nd piece around so you don't have the back of the leather, you have the front, on the inside. you're waisting a perfectly good piece of leather. work on your pocketing too, like i said really study other wallets and deconstruct them visually to figure out how it's all done. and yea...get an awl.

pickler- you can't just backstitch, that shit's going to fall out.(Edit: I think?) you should knot on the inside of flaps, hide the knots. it's easy on wallets because there are so many little places to tuck the knots in.

b-dawg- I use a #2 exact, its a bigger blade but still easily replaceable and still makes curves smooth. 3

I don't know what the technique is called but when you have the amount of thread needed, you thread a needle on both ends and then put the one through the first hole making a U with the thread( don't really know how else to describe it) Then you stitch it up and just back stitch some holes and then cut the thread. The combination of the backstitch and the waxed thread keeps the thread in as far as I have seen. Did you hook up a stitching pony or overstitch wheel? The pny is a third hand that is mighty helpful, and the overstitch helps set the sitchs too.

so i have all my leather and tools coming in the mail tomorrow, and i have a few questions that i would really appreciate answered. i never see knots or anything tying off the thread. what is the technique used here? also when cutting, do you use something to the effect of an xacto knife?

Koi the wallets look dope, the holes are clean and look good but abit too bit. What are you using for the holes? Ever tried a awl?

Pikler the sketch book is so tight, the stitching is beautiful!