Shoes that look better with age...

mizanation

(with pre-emptive apologies to fre$co and maynard)

always a distinct bonus to find old shoes, barely worn and with the original box - all in good condition.

can't be sure, but i have an inkling that these are the same model as the shoes belonging to my old ex-army mate that i posted a year or so ago. the plain toe on these veldts always makes me think of the tricker's 'tramping shoe' models.

the original itshide soles are an added result...

Nice one Ben , you any idea on the age of them ?

Given that those are your size, I'm guessing those will stay in your collection...but if you find yourself needing to move those...

Also, great find there.

half a size smaller would be preferable, with shoes...

Nice one Ben , you any idea on the age of them ?

no idea mate, although given the condition of the box then i'd say younger than most of the veldts i own, although that might not be too difficult in most cases! and still older than your average shoe in that condition...

a lot of the old 'army' veldt shoes that can be found are made by tecnic, and it appears that they used to have a lot of contracted work with the british army, both imperial and post-empire.

tecnic boots crop up a lot less, just like the lotus boots in comparison to their shoes.

Edited by CrashTestBrummie

i'm getting seriously hooked on zug grain veldtshoen here. Am right on the brink of ordering a pair of rannochs but trawling back through the thread all the pics of these seem to be gone, are they slightly more 'agricultural' than the Alfred Sargent Kelsos?

i'm getting seriously hooked on zug grain veldtshoen here. Am right on the brink of ordering a pair of rannochs but trawling back through the thread all the pics of these seem to be gone, are they slightly more 'agricultural' than the Alfred Sargent Kelsos?

Hi Kimi , both ctb and myself have owned Rannochs . Your comparison is apt , however dont be put off by that . They are an excellent winter boot and aesthetically look great too , particuarly with jeans . Maybe not finished quite as well as the Kelso's but still worth a punt . Kelsos' are hard to find , though Tredders still have them I think at £285 .

spend the extra to get the cheaney pennine or a sargent kelso or selkirk. seriously, the difference in quality is worth it.

tredders are one of the few places that still carry the sargent models (in limited sizes, though) unless you're a size 11 or more then you'll find better deals elsewhere.

the cheaney pennine is relatively widely available but the prices varies between retailers so worth shopping around. cheaney also appear to make the rannoch, but it's made to a more basic spec and the difference in quality is tangible if you've handled both boots.

the pennine is slightly more 'refined' than the sargent models (i own the kelso), which are bulkier and a little more rustic in my opinion. for the sargent models, size down half a size from your regular size.

that said, the rannoch is a sturdy boot and 'fit for purpose'.

^^^ thanks for the tips, it looks like tredders have the kelso's in stock but they're nearly £100 more than the rannochs... decisions decisions..

you won't see sargent make them in the future unless they're made to order, which will cost more than tredders' price.

once the sargent stock is gone, cheaney and c&j will be the only makers of veldtschoen in the uk...

re: how many times you can resole veldtschoen, i spoke to my dad who's worn sargents for the past 40 year or so - he says at least three times, sometimes four or five.

cheers fella, i remember that quality pic you posted a while ago of you and your old man with your lotus and sargents on respectively.

quality stuff.

the only bad thing about owning older pairs is that you might not know how many resoles are left in them. i'm certain that my tricker's have been resoled as i think they were only available with leather soles from stock.

the edward greens had their original sole when i got them i think (they were stamped 'veldtschoen' but they've been resoled twice in the past six months...

edited for sense.

such a shame that sargent are canning them, especially when they seem to be having a little renaissance

sargent aren't producing anything as 'regular' stock now; it's all made to order, even the old styles that a fine pair of shoes now carry are made to order for them (like the dumfries).

the veldts have been a godsend today with the ongoing torrential rain we've been having...was definitely appreciating the waxier things in life this morning:

imag0179fu.jpg

i actually saw those while cruising through this thread, but i'm not really a fan of the christy sole. I was thinking something more along the lines of what kansas mentioned with the roy sole.

htiok.jpg

(pic is not mine)

Edited by An Oxymoron

spend the extra to get the cheaney pennine or a sargent kelso or selkirk. seriously, the difference in quality is worth it.

tredders are one of the few places that still carry the sargent models (in limited sizes, though) unless you're a size 11 or more then you'll find better deals elsewhere.

the cheaney pennine is relatively widely available but the prices varies between retailers so worth shopping around. cheaney also appear to make the rannoch, but it's made to a more basic spec and the difference in quality is tangible if you've handled both boots.

the pennine is slightly more 'refined' than the sargent models (i own the kelso), which are bulkier and a little more rustic in my opinion. for the sargent models, size down half a size from your regular size.

that said, the rannoch is a sturdy boot and 'fit for purpose'.

I love that all the Veldtschoen action is still going on. I've been wearing my Lotus and Kelso only, in the last fortnight, thanks to the British spring (hilariously, in case you people from normal countries don't know, there's a drought here, with consequent hosepipe ban, despite this being the wettest April in decades).

anyway, on loomstate this morning arrived a comment from someone whose grandad, Albert Ingham, invented Veldtschoen! Seems to be true, too. Sadly s/he didn't leave an email but I've asked them to get in touch on the page, I'd love to post a photo and family reminiscences.

Edited by Paul T

hope the person gets back in touch, could be a bit of a scoop!

and a poxy storm welt wouldn't have coped with the recent, non-stop rain...i was actually looking for the biggest mud-pools and puddles to stomp through, just to test the boots...i need to get out a little more, methinks.

it would be pretty cool to get a family insight on the history of the process.

i am a little jealous as i think we are most likely done with the rain here for awhile (it's never of good ol' blighty proportions anyway) so the kelso's and cheaney's won't be seeing much use for the next 6 months.

hope the person gets back in touch, could be a bit of a scoop!

and a poxy storm welt wouldn't have coped with the recent, non-stop rain...i was actually looking for the biggest mud-pools and puddles to stomp through, just to test the boots...i need to get out a little more, methinks.

Well my wescos and whites have kept me bone dry....

the kudus look so good because it's alden not half assing a pair of work boots. they're rugged all around and they look it. good work!

Dear Superfuture footwear people,

Does anyone here know of a cobbler - shoemaker that might be able to resize a pair of Special edition 'Alden leather sole Self edge boots'? They would need re lasting down one size.

Alden's US are refusing the work saying they no longer offer this service.

Tried insole but heal is to large.

Any thoughts, before I give in and bite the (sell it on bullet).

Best Jp (newbie)

UK

Edited by Jpvfx

Dear Superfuture footwear people,

Does anyone here know of a cobbler - shoemaker that might be able to resize a pair of Special edition 'Alden leather sole Self edge boots'? They would need re lasting down one size.

Alden's US are refusing the work saying they no longer offer this service.

Tried insole but heal is to large.

Any thoughts, before I give in and bite the (sell it on bullet).

Best Jp (newbie)

UK

I'd just sell them on. Relasting on a non original last is not going to work well.