Shoes that look better with age...

mizanation

red wing 875s rule, and fresco is right, hollowsleather was referring to the fact that you were asking if there was a red wing boot that looks like a copy of what is probably the most famous and most popular red wing boot.

I wish I still had mine, grew out of them at age 21. never thought that'd happen.

redwing875.jpg

red wing 875s rule, and fresco is right, hollowsleather was referring to the fact that you were asking if there was a red wing boot that looks like a copy of what is probably the most famous and most popular red wing boot.

I wish I still had mine, grew out of them at age 21. never thought that'd happen.

redwing875.jpg

totally beaten up, +rep . be grateful, im 21 this year and just getting my first pair. though my father works in o&g , i never learn to know the true value of red wings just until recently after getting to know about raw denim.

thanks guys for helping me out. now anyone know where i can get a pair for a good price? am currently in melbourne

Edited by apsidewatch

they're pretty affordable in the states, I dont know about Australia though.

you can get them through red wing australia, but I dont know if thats the best deal.

http://www.redwingsh...6inch-boot,p64/

Edit : and they're located in Melbourne, so you can go down there and try them on.

380 Burnley St., Richmond

Melbourne, AU 3121

Edited by erk

^^^ Haha, I'm in Melbourne too, and I've been to the above shop.

It's a nice shop, and the owner is ok but he's VERY paranoid.

I was trying on, funnily enough, 875s, when I took some photos to send to my girlfriend to see if she liked the look before I blew $350 on a pair of boots she may well hate.

Talking to another customer, he implied (loudly) that whilst this customer was genuine and would get good service, I was just there to try them on and find a cheap pair online (I'm guessing because he saw me on my phone), and so wouldn't get a good deal from him.

I corrected him, showed him what I was doing on the phone, and basically told him off for being rude and presumptuous.

He kind of tried to make it up to me by being obsequious and asking all about me and what I do etc., but too late, sale blown my good man.

So the moral of the story is don't use your phone in that shop, the owner may be an asshole about it.

^^^ Haha, I'm in Melbourne too, and I've been to the above shop.

It's a nice shop, and the owner is ok but he's VERY paranoid.

I was trying on, funnily enough, 875s, when I took some photos to send to my girlfriend to see if she liked the look before I blew $350 on a pair of boots she may well hate.

Talking to another customer, he implied (loudly) that whilst this customer was genuine and would get good service, I was just there to try them on and find a cheap pair online (I'm guessing because he saw me on my phone), and so wouldn't get a good deal from him.

I corrected him, showed him what I was doing on the phone, and basically told him off for being rude and presumptuous.

He kind of tried to make it up to me by being obsequious and asking all about me and what I do etc., but too late, sale blown my good man.

So the moral of the story is don't use your phone in that shop, the owner may be an asshole about it.

I think actually the moral of that story is that real shops are disappearing fast because of cheap online retailers much to the frustration of shopkeepers and sooner or later the nice knowledgable shopkeepers will be gone forever.

but the moral of the story is also that shopkeepers should keep that frustration to themselves and not take it out on potential customers.

This. To just assume a potential customer is trying to cheat you, and outright accuse without any evidence is to be a terrible, terrible shopkeeper.

Most times I'll actually pay a substantial amount more if I feel I'm getting a personal touch from the shop.

Regardless that he was wrong anyway in my case, it's just poor practice.

Edited by Aries

Shopkeepers are people too.

Maybe you should have told him what you were doing before photographing yourself wearing his stock - Just a thought?

Lots of shopkeepers do not allow photographs in to be taken in their shops at all, and it's only polite to ask first. If you treat other people with respect, then you will often find you get it in return.

I would feel very awkward about taking a photo in a shop without at least telling the staff/owner beforehand. There are few reasons why you would need to take photos in a shop (although getting your girlfriends approval of something might be one or that you really like the interior etc). I suppose it is possible that some people take photos of themselves wearing clothes that they are merely trying on the shop but will never buy - therefore getting whatever e-approval they crave when posted online and with no benefit to the shop at all. Not saying the poster did this but I imagine it happens.

Lots of shopkeepers do not allow photographs in to be taken in their shops at all, and it's only polite to ask first. If you treat other people with respect, then you will often find you get it in return.

I don't even... What? Everyone is a person, but at work, you are also professional and representative of your brand/store.

My girlfriend works retail and says people are taking photos of the clothes she sells all the time for various reasons.

When I was in SelfEdge LA the guy behind the counter even offered to take photos of me wearing some jeans I was trying on so that I could be sure of the fit, same with John in Mister Freedom.

It's not like I walked in, ripped some boots off the shelf and started taking pics of the entire store. I told the guy that I would have to get my girlfriend's approval, so I assumed he knew the purpose of the phone.

He would have had my respect even if he'd have just said "hey no photos in the store", I'd have apologised. He said no such thing, opting to passively aggressively talk about me to another customer in earshot, implying I'm doing something I'm absolutely not, which is in no shape or form a productive strategy and will only ever lose you customers.

But hey, keep defending people for being assholes I suppose.

Edited by Aries

I think actually the moral of that story is that real shops are disappearing fast because of cheap online retailers much to the frustration of shopkeepers and sooner or later the nice knowledgable shopkeepers will be gone forever.

but the moral of the story is also that shopkeepers should keep that frustration to themselves and not take it out on potential customers.

must agree with both of you... a couple months ago i was at Old England here in Paris, a legendary 5000ft store created in 1868 (!!) exclusive carrier of british goods and only store in France carrying Trickers... the salesman was acting extremely paranoid asking me where i'd heard of Trickers and even being reluctant to have me try a pair on (!!!!) after realizing i was more then knowledgable and passionate on the subject of footwear he confessed to me that 90% people trying Trickers in their store end up buying them online. Old England closed in January after 144 years of existence.That is of course very sad news, but it's also true that this store was well known for an insane markup and the salesmen were extremely off-putting with who i assume weren't their regular customers..

long story short, i think the moral is that shopkeepers need to adjust their pricing policies accordingly to the online competition (within reason) and remain friendly or at the very least corteous towards any potential customer if they don't want to suffer an ill-fated outcome.

the subject of photography is a little bit more sensitive, i'd definitely ask before..

Edit:^^^^ haha in my defense the boots were to be a birthday present from her!

Yeah I agree I was out of line taking a photo. But we'd already been talking about the history of redwing a while and got a rapport going, and I was clear that I wanted to buy them pending approval from the gf, I just assumed (wrongly) that he'd infer why I was taking a photo.

Basically there's a professional and unprofessional way of doing things.

Professional is to say "sorry no photos in store", where upon I will apologize for my ignorance and naïveté.

Going all passive aggressive and trying to embarrass your customers is the unprofessional way of doing things, and I went from ready to put down $350 in that shop immediately to purposefully not.

Edited by Aries

min2max i would understand about not having an insane markup but in all honesty it is really really tough for brick and motar shops to compete with online retailers who can offer some extremely competitive rates because they have minimal overheads such as rental, staffing, etc. one of the few ways to ensure that one stays competitive with online businesses, is when brands take it upon themselves to enforce some kind of fixed pricing on distributors who then pass this down along the chain.

on a not so very related note, as a consumer i will always pick the cheaper option because im a cheapskate, but i definitely wouldn't go into a store to try on products if i have no plans of buying from them. if i do end up trying, i will buy from them. it makes sense to pay that bit of extra for a service they provide you, which is to allow for trying of products.

just to be clear, my philosophy is actually always to support local businesses.. i had the intention of buying at old england (perhaps negotiate a bit but still) i don't mind paying a bit more to support locally but again within reason, my point was mainly about the paranoid downright condescending attitude in a lot of high-end boutiques (especially here in paris, it's a local speciality lol) fortunately there still are good places run by good people, perhaps an endangered species !

I don't even... What? Everyone is a person, but at work, you are also professional and representative of your brand/store.

My girlfriend works retail and says people are taking photos of the clothes she sells all the time for various reasons.

When I was in SelfEdge LA the guy behind the counter even offered to take photos of me wearing some jeans I was trying on so that I could be sure of the fit, same with John in Mister Freedom.

It's not like I walked in, ripped some boots off the shelf and started taking pics of the entire store. I told the guy that I would have to get my girlfriend's approval, so I assumed he knew the purpose of the phone.

He would have had my respect even if he'd have just said "hey no photos in the store", I'd have apologised. He said no such thing, opting to passively aggressively talk about me to another customer in earshot, implying I'm doing something I'm absolutely not, which is in no shape or form a productive strategy and will only ever lose you customers.

But hey, keep defending people for being assholes I suppose.

I'm not defending anyone. I'm giving my opinion as an impartial third person, based on your story (which gets more harrowing as you repeat it).

You were obviously very hurt by this experience.

As for my girlfriend works retail... etc - Just because some shops don't mind this, it doesnt give you the liberty to assume all shops dont mind.

Anyway I don't really care.

Edited by fre-co

(with pre-emptive apologies to fre$co and maynard)

always a distinct bonus to find old shoes, barely worn and with the original box - all in good condition.

can't be sure, but i have an inkling that these are the same model as the shoes belonging to my old ex-army mate that i posted a year or so ago. the plain toe on these veldts always makes me think of the tricker's 'tramping shoe' models.

the original itshide soles are an added result...

dsc02619yl.jpg

dsc02622zp.jpg

isn't the umlaut a hyper-correction, mistaking the word 'veldtschoen' for german?

dsc02620y.jpg

dsc02621py.jpg