Shoes that look better with age...

mizanation

Crash, really, really nice. The caramel color brown leather is really amazing looking. Do you have any idea when they were made?

Difficult to say, as the manufacturer went under a couple of decades ago so there's little online information on them.

I've an original ad for Lotus boots, which states that the boots are designated '363' and the shoes are the '774' model, which can be seen inside the shoe. The advert dates from 1940, but they were an established model by then as earlier ads can be found.

I'd say that, with my layman's knowledge, they are at least 30-40 years old and probably older than that.

The leather is simply normal brown zug leather, and that is how it should age although some worn zug shoes have more of a burgundy patina. I believe that Lotus were supplied with zug leather by Martins, whoever they might be...The zug grain veldtschoen boots below show more of a red shade (maker unknown, probably Alfred Sargent or George Webb):

scaled.php?server=836&filename=dscf3445.jpg&res=medium

scaled.php?server=841&filename=dscf3446f.jpg&res=medium

scaled.php?server=844&filename=dscf3449v.jpg&res=medium

Cheers for the kind words, lads. Going to give the shoes a gentle kiss of life, for conditioning more than anything else.

I especially love the little detail on the metal tips, I'll be asking to have the tips back when they get resoled in the near future.

Talking of resoles, I've sent my unbranded veldtschoen boots (posted a few pages back) off via C&J for their cobbler in Mayfair to resole. At an inclusive price of £90, it's not far off what I would have paid elsewhere including postage and they have a better chance of getting a Ridgeway sole for the boots. If the cobbler doesn't have one, C&J will see about getting one sent over from their factory.

It's a real shame that I don't have a scanner, as the new C&J catalogue is out and fans of the Skye will be glad to hear it's back in production. They're also doing the Exmoor derby full brogue in rough-out, on the 348 last. Very nice indeed...

PF flyers usually have their logo on the outside of the ankle don't they?

and fyi, I just picked up about 4-5 pairs at my local thrift of PF's in various sizes and issues...

they might be Red Ball...

$(KGrHqEOKicE31fQ1Fl9BN-L45f6Uw~~_1.JPG?set_id=8800005007

Quick sizing question for those in the know. How are the AS Kelso boots sized, on the larger size, or smaller size? I typically take a UK 9.5-10, but it depends on the shoe.

Red Wing is usually a 10.5 (although some 11) for me, and my 5 year old Clarks DB that are 10.5 UK are definitely too big. My Parboot boots are a 10 UK and fit very well.

Craft LA no longer exist, I think he went out of business. Nice guy though.

It says on the door that they are relocating near by but we shall see...I got a hair cut at Baxter Finley and they seemed a bit confused and bummed as well. They said there was some dispute with the landlord or something.