Shoes that look better with age...

mizanation

I've heard people say that Sanders make them, also Loake, and AS and Cheaney have also been mentioned. Still none the wiser! I

I'd love to know too (for obvious reasons). THe Rannoch loosk the most similar to AS, of course.... and that is possible, as it is surely more likely to be a company that does, or has recently, produce(d) veldtschoen. But I've seen that suggestion pooh-poohed.

I know that Sanders make the zug boots sold by Jacksons on eBay, which don't look like anything as good quality as the Rannoch, and aren't veldtschoen. Cheaney definitely don't make them - they make the Herring Windermere. But strangely, Cheaney don't make the S&H Pennine, which looks almost identical to the Pennine/Windermere (it's not stated that the S&H Pennine is a veldtschn.)

Hopefully, if mike can post lots of photos, including the model codes etc, we'll know more...

I'd love to know too (for obvious reasons). THe Rannoch loosk the most similar to AS, of course.... and that is possible, as it is surely more likely to be a company that does, or has recently, produce(d) veldtschoen. But I've seen that suggestion pooh-poohed.

The shape and design of the boot has made me wonder if indeed they're done by AS - although the Kelso looks fairly sleek in most online pics, they're actually pretty bulky and comparable to the Grasmere more than anything else - although they have a bit more 'shape' to the side of the boot.

If they are AS, and if they use the same zug as the AS and Tricker's Grasmere (which I think is from the same source), then they'd be a very interesting buy indeed, and excellent value for money.

I'm curious now as to what AS are planning for their forthcoming veldt range...repro boots, maybe?

I know that Sanders make the zug boots sold by Jacksons on eBay, which don't look like anything as good quality as the Rannoch, and aren't veldtschoen. Cheaney definitely don't make them - they make the Herring Windermere. But strangely, Cheaney don't make the S&H Pennine, which looks almost identical to the Pennine/Windermere (it's not stated that the S&H Pennine is a veldtschn.)

Hopefully, if mike can post lots of photos, including the model codes etc, we'll know more...

Hopefully citilink will deliver them when my wife is at home tomorrow , tomorrow is my long day at work so wont be back to late (for me) I will post plenty of pics etc..all being well tomorrow evening .

Looking at the Hoggs bench made range I see models which I believe very similar to those made by Loake , Sanders and NPS . My bet is on Sanders for the Rannoch , everything bar the welt says Sanders to me when I compare the pic to the Cheltenham . But when they arrive hopefully we all will be more enlightened . If it's Sanders I will be very happy . My Cheltenham are very , very well made . The clincher for me will be the quality of the zug used for the uppers . As i said , hopefully plenty of pics and info tomorrow !!!

In fact, a few fellas over at styleforum state the Rannoch is made by Cheaney. Which would make them a bargain, Cheany make very nice boots. And, like Ben, i prefer the traditional veldt-style scalloping on the side.

I asked about Shipton and Henneage at the Cheaney Store, they said they definitely didn't make them... I might not have asked about the Hoggs Rannoch now I think about it.

a little intermezzo from the English boots discussion....

Has anyone got/seen White's SD / BH with different/contrast cap toe color than the rest of the body? I have seen several Tricker's Japanese collab do so, but never seen the White's.

Paul T I think you should add a section in your website about this English country boots, Veldts, etc. similar to the Denim section there.

a little intermezzo from the English boots discussion....

Has anyone got/seen White's SD / BH with different/contrast cap toe color than the rest of the body? I have seen several Tricker's Japanese collab do so, but never seen the White's.

Paul T I think you should add a section in your website about this English country boots, Veldts, etc. similar to the Denim section there.

This photo is from Ultrasound's facebook page:

22679_309232620548_198093005548_5003139_7336815_n.jpg

There are a few more pairs shown too:

https://www.facebook.com/photos.php?id=198093005548

Thanks onehundy and superbeveridge,

the rrl boots are out of my price range...I was more looking for viberg or wesco engineer boots.

Does anyone have experience with Frye engineer boots?

I have looked at most of theirs and the Brando Engineer is probably the best. A few members on here have them and it is easy to find pictures of good looking worn in pairs.

Time for some White's boot pictures.

My SDs came today. I think I might have finally got what I need.

On to the pictures:

5803411375_2cb726a94e_z.jpg

Dress brown, all eyes

5803412587_9e4719faea_z.jpg

Natural edge, half sole

5803970634_a88e07699e_z.jpg

Leather lined - already feels better than unlined

5803965154_c4f641b6b0_z.jpg

5803966746_f1f49ee66c_z.jpg

Finally on my feet....

Time for some White's boot pictures.

My SDs came today. I think I might have finally got what I need.

On to the pictures:

Dress brown, all eyes

Natural edge, half sole

Leather lined - already feels better than unlined

5803965154_c4f641b6b0_z.jpg

Finally on my feet....

congrats on the new pair; love the angle on this picture

fre$co, those SD looks nice~

Does anyone knows why White's uses cutted vibram #700 for their 'half sole' orderd?

There's already finished product as a half sole vibram #705,

and other brands like Wesco or Viberg use it for half sole orderd shoes.

It's not a big deal and both are almost same.

but, I just want to know if there's any special reasons.

Does anyone have experience with Frye engineer boots?

marineabilly posted some info (I've quoted it below) a while back. I don't think I'd pay retail ($250) for these, but they show up on ebay for 100-150 from time to time and that is a good price. I've got both the black and the tobacco versions of these. Looking back I probably should have just ordered a pair of Wesco's but they are a lot more money.

If you have time to spare for the hunt, you can find an original pair of 1940's/1950's Engineer Boots with the flat, "pointy"ish toe (they started off round, but with years of wear, they become flat and pointy) for well under the price of WESCO's or MF. Chances are, if there is a boot currently in production that offer this style of toe, that company knows the value, so you're gonna spend a grand.

The Frye Brando's (now called the Rand due to trademark issues) is an underrated boot that has a low'ish profile with low heels and, with lots of wear, the toe will flatten.

331813454_o.jpg

To get a good price idea for vintage boots with this style of toe, take a look at my blog where you'll find almost any style made.

To look at a portion of my personal Engineer Boot collection, for reference, take a look at page six HERE

I may have too much information on Engineer Boots than one should have, so if you have any more questions, I might have an answer - if not, then I'll know who to ask to find it.

Cheers!

fantastic whites! So how do they fit? I'm still not 100% convinced I got the right size. Are you eyelets antique or just brown?

My eyes are antique. They feel good already, This is my third pair and I have gone up a half size each time. Finally I think I am there with sizing.

Sorry Eddie but you are wrong. These soles are not cut.

Ok , so the Rannoch arrived today and they are top notch . Everything about them oozes quality of materials and workmanship . I will let the pics do the talking . Still a bit of research to do on the manufacturer . Comparison shots with Sanders Cheltenham and Trickers Malton .

001-19.jpg

002-13.jpg

003-11.jpg

004-8.jpg

005-5.jpg

006-5.jpg

Pic quality isnt the greatest unfortunately but you should get the idea .

fre$co, those SD looks nice~

Does anyone knows why White's uses cutted vibram #700 for their 'half sole' orderd?

There's already finished product as a half sole vibram #705,

and other brands like Wesco or Viberg use it for half sole orderd shoes.

It's not a big deal and both are almost same.

but, I just want to know if there's any special reasons.

I just checked my all my Vibram 705's and 700's and I am convinced that White's cut their 700's into half soles. I don't think it makes a difference at all, but maybe it might have to do with the western boot construction. It looks like they need a thinner taper near the waist.

Anyway, hell if I know what the real reason is.

They look the business, Mike - gotta spread and all that jazz....

Difficult to tell from a pic, but I'd say that that's the same zug that Tricker's and AS use...

It's the quality of the zug which has really bowled me over . I tried a pair of the Jackson (Sanders made) zug boots a while back but returned them .The zug used to make these has a totally different texture and look ,

My eyes are antique. They feel good already, This is my third pair and I have gone up a half size each time. Finally I think I am there with sizing.

Sorry Eddie but you are wrong. These soles are not cut.

so what have you found out in sizing? from say Alden 405 to Whites SD...