Shoes that look better with age...

mizanation

its right around the sole stitching. the thread seems overly long and i can't really tell if its going to unravel but i think i will be able to tell when there is more light in the morning. having said that, they are still some lovely boots though and i think they will hold out longer than any other boot i have ever owned.

its right around the sole stitching. the thread seems overly long and i can't really tell if its going to unravel but i think i will be able to tell when there is more light in the morning. having said that, they are still some lovely boots though and i think they will hold out longer than any other boot i have ever owned.

When you get a chance post a pic . I would be surprised if something really bad got through quality control but you never know . You could compare them to Crash Tests pair and see how they shape up . I'm sure Ben would't object to showing similar pics .

Hoggs also do a non-zug veldt in the classic style:

http://www.fifecountry.com/mens/footwear/british-made-welted-footwear/country-shoes/hoggs-dunoon-veldtscheon-1568

Not sure about the brogueing on this one:

http://www.fifecountry.com/mens/footwear/british-made-welted-footwear/country-shoes/dornoch-country-grain-veldt-8396

And no idea on those boots posted above - they're a dead ringer for the C&J Coniston or the AS Culford, though.

Hoggs also do a non-zug veldt in the classic style:

http://www.fifecountry.com/mens/footwear/british-made-welted-footwear/country-shoes/hoggs-dunoon-veldtscheon-1568

Not sure about the brogueing on this one:

http://www.fifecountry.com/mens/footwear/british-made-welted-footwear/country-shoes/dornoch-country-grain-veldt-8396

I dont like the Dornoch but I do like the Roxborough with leather sole . These are lovely but I have spent too much lately and the Rannoch will take some breaking in . I have said it before , the zug on these i amazing , so heavy and tough but great to touch , Though these are nice .

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=160587397556&ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT

and there's a coupon for an additional 10% off...

oh ffs I bought them at the 139 because they looked such a good deal. now I feel really fucked off. Actually I have to say good deal as they are they're nowhere near as nice as the Conistons.........but I guess the law of diminishing returns plays here somewhere

what do you all think about veg-tan boots?

Maybe one of you veldtshoen fanatics can answer this. Is the stitch down construction of whites and wesco the same as veldt? I know with stitch down construction the upper is turned out and stitched to the upper with a welt.

what do you all think about veg-tan boots?

Had a pair in natural before, I found it very hard to keep clean...eventually got very badly stained whilst working with oils, ended up dyeing them black.

Leather was gorgeous before it got messed up though.

Maybe one of you veldtshoen fanatics can answer this. Is the stitch down construction of whites and wesco the same as veldt? I know with stitch down construction the upper is turned out and stitched to the upper with a welt.

I was wondering the same thing about 10 pages back. Anyone know?

The White’s Semi Dress comes ‘standard’ with a single cleastic toe box. Thinner leather leathers aren’t able to support the vamp without a celastic toe. We and White’s don’t recommend a SD without a celastic toe but it is possible. It would only work with cowhides. I have asked the factory in the past if this is possible and the answer was 'no' - I asked again the other day and they said they could with cowhides. I’m sure that’s kind of confusing, but I try to relay what the factory tells us, because ultimately it’s their call.

BTW the picture of the yellowish color is called ‘Harvest Leather’ that is an exclusive leather White’s offers to an Asian agency - Based on what we’ve been told, this leather isn’t going to be picked up by that agency or White’s after it’s all used up.

Superfuture,

I want to give you guys an update and new stuff that's in the works between us and White's and also new attributes and options that White's is going to offer -

I know some of you have asked about certain leathers and it seems to keep getting pushed back; we are hoping the following is available sometime this fall:

Burgundy Chrome XL

Horsehide (black and brown)

Medallion Toe Cap

New Leathers available within 2-4 weeks:

Navy Chrome Excel - we have samples on order, will post once we receive them.

Blue suede - brand new leather

New style available soon:

Customizable Engineer boot by White's - the prototypes and samples should be completed soon. Again, will post once we receive.

I know there aren't a lot of cowboy/western boots seen on SUFU, but White's is going to launch a White's western series as well.

New Website coming soon from Baker's featuring Whites:

www.buildaboot.com

This site will be way more interactive and leather colors and options will be displayed in a MUCH better format. This will be launched in September.

Just want to keep everyone informed and are really going to bat for you guys that want new, different and current exclusive options they only offer to Asia from the factory. Your comments and requests aren’t going unnoticed by us… we want to fill your demand. Please be patient and in time, things will open up.

Thank you -

Kyle

Baker's Shoes

[email protected]

www.bakershoe.com

My understanding is this:

The classic veldt is a stitch down construction of sorts, but the upper is stitched directly to the midsole:

http://riotgeer.blogspot.com/2009/01/veldtschoen-photo-essay.html

For classic 'Afrikaans veldts', there is no welt involved, like a desert boot or suchlike.

For the fanatics' choice, the 'English veldt' (my phrase), there are two uppers, the outer one of which is stitched 'out', and the inner one which is stitched 'in', or at least that's my take on it. This is the process created by Albert Ingham the elder, which Lotus patented in 1914.

The construction of stitch down and welted construction combine to give you a boot or shoe that is near water-tight. The outer upper is normally stitched to the inner one with that disctinctive scalloped, 'batwing' shape for some reason.

velddia.jpg

So in my understanding, a veldtschoen is a kind of stitch down build, but not every stitch down build is necessarily a veldtschoen in the sense that floats my boat...this make sense?

^ and don't some Whites etc. have bellows tongues like the veldtschoen boots do?

The bellows tongue or half bellows tongue can be found on any boot, its added protection lends itself to a boot that aims to be watertight ('guaranteed', as the Lotus boots and shoes were sold).