Shoes that look better with age...

mizanation

My Lotus Veldtschoen had nearly a fornight camping. These are, as they claim, waterproof, everyone else was wearing wellies but these came thru fine. After maybe 8 or 9 days of tramping thru wet grass, the outside had turned dull, when some water had soaked in, but they were dry as a bone.

lotusbefore.jpg

I am now a Laces Geek. those are the original, two of the aglets (sp?) came off in the damp, so I need to work out how to make some new ones using glue, stickytape and paint (I'll add them to me to-do pile, with the broken espresso machines and the nipper's toy tanks).

New, temporary laces (I couldn't find green)... and a quick clean up using CTB's spit'n'polish technique.

lotusafter.jpg

I have now, at my advanced age, finally learned how to tie shoelaces properly so they don't come undone. Definiteyl worth googling, you will save hours, weeks even, of your life!

Time to start hand dyeing laces. What makes a good natural green? Nettles? Sort of like Tom Goods suit in Good Neighbors (Good Life).

Great boots, pomata - especially loving the red leather on the crepe-soled Stow. As for the Frederick/Stow, I think Tricker's changed the names of some of their classic boots for mainland European markets - your William is a Ripon by another name...

Paul, loving the renovated Lotus!

Gotta spread...

We just received a small shipment of Alden Indy Boots.

405 -- Original Brown

Sizes: 7.5 D, 8.5 D, 9D, 10D, 10.5D, 11D, 11.5D, 12D, 6.5E, 7E, 7.5E, 8E, 8.5E, 9E, 9.5E, 10E, 10.5E, 11 E, 12 E

403 --Brown Chrome Excel

Sizes: 7D, 7.5 D, 8 D, 9 D, 10 D, 10.5 D, 11 D, 12 D, 6E, 7E, 8E, 10 E

974 -- Cordovan #8 Wing Tip

Sizes: 10 D

Email us if you're interested - first come, first pay, first serve.

[email protected]

Kyle

Baker's Shoes

www.bakershoe.com

What do you guys think of these? How old do you think they are? I picked them up on Ebay at a crazy BIN price. They're really close to the edge of not fitting so I'm not sure if I'm going to keep them or put them back on Ebay.

5837932238_725b832aed_z.jpg

5837939800_b0bb8edc75_z.jpg

5837385111_34d49effca_z.jpg

My Lotus Veldtschoen had nearly a fornight camping. These are, as they claim, waterproof, everyone else was wearing wellies but these came thru fine. After maybe 8 or 9 days of tramping thru wet grass, the outside had turned dull, when some water had soaked in, but they were dry as a bone.

http://img690.imageshack.us/img690/1676/lotusbefore.jpg[/MG]

I am now a Laces Geek. those are the original, two of the aglets (sp?) came off in the damp, so I need to work out how to make some new ones using glue, stickytape and paint (I'll add them to me to-do pile, with the broken espresso machines and the nipper's toy tanks).

New, temporary laces (I couldn't find green)... and a quick clean up using CTB's spit'n'polish technique.

http://img195.imageshack.us/img195/2860/lotusafter.jpg[/MG]

I have now, at my advanced age, finally learned how to tie shoelaces properly so they don't come undone. Definiteyl worth googling, you will save hours, weeks even, of your life!

Can't rep, but have to quote this. I just figured that out too a month or two ago. Kinda sad, but now I know why my shoes used to come undone half the time :o

Smitty, what do they say on the sides? What soles do they have? I'd say 70's at first glance by the finish on them.....

What do you guys think of these? How old do you think they are? I picked them up on Ebay at a crazy BIN price. They're really close to the edge of not fitting so I'm not sure if I'm going to keep them or put them back on Ebay.

5837932238_725b832aed_z.jpg

Not a bad pair of boots, and I like the color. Pretty sure they were made by Carolina, judging by the "Engineer Boot" and the power line logo on the side. They are probably from the 70s. Do you have pics of the sole or any internal markings?

Not a bad pair of boots, and I like the color. Pretty sure they were made by Carolina, judging by the "Engineer Boot" and the power line logo on the side. They are probably from the 70s. Do you have pics of the sole or any internal markings?

5837545537_ac9f739069_z.jpg

5837550619_6b167dcbb7_z.jpg

I'd passed by this shop some time ago...

zjamestaylor.jpg

And saw these:

zugboots.jpg

Note the similarity of the left-hand boots to the Custom Trickers I'd shot when I visited the factory shop.

Today, I called Taylor's to get an idea of cost. £1700. (includes your own custom last). Cost if one were to order six: £1700 each. (includes six custom lasts).

Ah well...

We just received a small shipment of Alden Indy Boots.

405 -- Original Brown $349.95

Sizes: 7.5 D, 8.5 D, 9D, 10D, 10.5D, 11D, 11.5D, 12D, 6.5E, 7E, 7.5E, 8E, 8.5E, 9E, 9.5E, 10E, 10.5E, 11 E, 12 E

403 --Brown Chrome Excel $379.95

Sizes: 7D, 7.5 D, 8 D, 9 D, 10 D, 10.5 D, 11 D, 12 D, 6E, 7E, 8E, 10 E

974 -- Cordovan #8 Wing Tip $499.95

Sizes: 10 D

Email us if you're interested - first come, first pay, first serve.

[email protected]

Kyle

Baker's Shoes

www.bakershoe.com

Is there a catch? the prices are soooo good...sooo tempted too!!!

That shop is just off marylebone high street right Paul. Never been inside but always looks nice. For that sort of money you might as well pay an extra grand and go to john lobb.

Have you been in there, on st James? Not the one on jermyn street.

Nice one :D Great shine on those, too!

Incidentally, Paul and I think we have a fair idea as to who makes the Rannoch...Seems that the earlier ones were made by AS, and the later ones by Cheaney.

The earlier ones don't have speedhooks and appear to be lighter in comparison. Word of warning though - no one seems to have the older version in stock, even though pics can be found on some sites.

The later, possibly Cheaney-made Rannochs are a deep, deep brown with very dark burgundy undertones...the toe is blunter than the Kelso, and the zug is slightly more bumpy.

thanks for posting, Killer B!

For comparison... the toes on these seem less rounded, and other shape differences. Mine are also much wetter. Will it ever stop raining?

lotus1.jpg

lotus2.jpg

Yup, the early and later Rannoch look pretty different. THe early one has a shape exactly like the AS to me, the later one is quite unique, but that steep radius of curvature around the toe is much more Cheaney. A retailer told me that Cheaney definitely makes them now - another retailer told us that AS definitely made them up to a couple years ago. EIther way, the Rannochs are a bargain, considering curresnt AS and Cheaney prices.