Shoes that look better with age...

mizanation

Couple of photos of my Roy Boots. Worn off and on since August.

www.banditphotographer.com

jcp5.png

WTF did you do to those boots? I'm all about boots looking better with age, but with respect, I think those Roy Boots are wearing terribly and look like shit. Especially considering how much they cost! A pair of White's, WESCO's, Viberg's, RedWing's, Chippewa, Etc. would never look like that after less than a year of wear.

Whoa man. I have to say, those boots look pretty amazing. Also, I don't think that there is damage to that boot just yet. Yeah, they're being used. They're scratched up and a little dirty and dusty. So what? A little Dr. Bonners and some polish will restore them back to better than new.

Whoa man. I have to say, those boots look pretty amazing. Also, I don't think that there is damage to that boot just yet. Yeah, they're being used. They're scratched up and a little dirty and dusty. So what? A little Dr. Bonners and some polish will restore them back to better than new.

Not at $450.00 a pair and after being worn 'on and off' since August...

WTF did you do to those boots? I'm all about boots looking better with age, but with respect, I think those Roy Boots are wearing terribly and look like shit. Especially considering how much they cost! A pair of White's, WESCO's, Viberg's, RedWing's, Chippewa, Etc. would never look like that after less than a year of wear.

Yep. One would suspect that something more than just natural wear happend to those...

My wescos took a few years of hard wear until they even started to show it.

I love those Georgia Giants! What size are they just in case you don't don't fit you...

Alden are in no way as hardcore as wesco, they don't claim to be lineman boots or smokejumpers. I honestly don't think it makes sense comparing them. It is like comparing an 18 inch logging chainsaw with a butter knife. each has it's role and one is not superior to the other.

The leather on my White's is way tougher and thicker than any of my alden's, trickers, crocketts. That doesn't make them better than everything else does it? Alden Roys are probably described as a light utility boot like the indy.

sorry, but; there is is a difference between "shoes that look better with age" and shoes/boots being abused, simply because somebody does not care/does not have time to let them age over time? good boots/shoes are made to last and the craftsmanship in them desrves ( at least some) respect

my 3 cents

Let me just say that I am almost sure that much of those scratches came after a day in the mines. I saw the boots in person a few days before the mine trip and they were not even close to as beat up as that. It is a lot of scraping around on your knees and such. My indy's looked like that after I went out with sansome in the mines, but a nice coat of oil and polish cleaned them up well and I am pretty sure that will clean these up as well.

I just can't wait to see what they look like after some good care.

Aging like fine wine or for their intended purpose...work. I think they look tough and I'm sure El Topo will take the time to condition them some time.

I'm going to visit NewYork next week and got some time to spend at shoe stores.

Moulded Shoe is high on my list. Leffot, Alden store, where else to go? Any recommendations...

I would like to try some Danner boots and is there a chance to see and try some Russell moc's?

Thanks in advance

Grahame Fowler has Trickers and Whites

Leffot and Alden store are a few blocks apartment

Leffot and Grahame Fowler are a couple blocks apart too

I'm going to visit NewYork next week and got some time to spend at shoe stores.

Moulded Shoe is high on my list. Leffot, Alden store, where else to go? Any recommendations...

I would like to try some Danner boots and is there a chance to see and try some Russell moc's?

Thanks in advance

Moulded Shoe is great - make sure you speak with Ronny and have them fit you on the Modified Last. Once they get your size correct, see what they have in their Make-Ups and what they have in the pipeline.

Moulded Shoe is about a 5-10 minute walk from a bunch of stores on Madison... More Trad stuff like The Alden Shop, Brooks Brothers Madison, Paul Stuart and J. Press. Orvis is not from from this area but unfortunately, they do not carry shoes in their Retail Store in NY...

I would also check out the J. Crew Liquor Store Bar Shop on West Broadway in Tribeca - they have some very cool stuff.

You can probably find Redwings at DavidZ Shoes - they have multiple locations in the City. They are just 'OK' to deal with in terms of service & returns but might have what you're looking for:

http://www.davidz.com/locations.cfm

There are also a lot of great places in Brooklyn but I'll have to defer to others here for specifics...