Shoes that look better with age...

mizanation

He'll get 100F in difference before the winter is out. It hits -40 (F=C) at least once a year. Last year there was a day where the HIGH was -46C (-51F)

And on to the boots. Pulled these out of my dad's basement while cleaning. They look like they're from the 70s give or take. Says "Made Expressly for Woodard and Sons. Made in Canada". They're basically unworn, and after a couple of coats of Obenauf's they're looking pretty decent. Need some breaking in though, wicked blister zone on the back of the heel.

P9111453.jpg

Didn't really need the Made in Canada to figure out where they were from, this was a dead giveaway.

P9111457.jpg

anyone know the price of viberg semi dress in america/ if there is a non japan version?

really?? Ah man. I think how dude's wearing them is pretty douchey too, but johdpurs are just so... Classy yet interesting. Certainly not the workwear style that gets most love and attention up in here, but I think they're just the right amount of unusual mixed with debonair. One day...

I just don't think I could ever pull them off.

anyone know the price of viberg semi dress in america/ if there is a non japan version?

I'd guess between $600 and $650.

OK, I meant to post a couple of days ago, but then SuFu disappeared and my weekend got really busy. So, apologies to everyone. Now, on the the business at hand- more info about my William Lennon boots.

I've had the 78PTC boots in the waxy tan leather for about a month now. Delivery came about 5 weeks after I placed my order, which is right what the website said it would be. I had to pony up an extra 29.95 pounds for international shipping. Interestingly, the boots were mailed in 2 separate boxes, one boot per box, and arrived on 2 different days. I read somewhere on the web that, due to a quirk in UK shipping rates, this method is actually cheaper than sending the pair in a single box. According to the stamps, William Lennon paid 14.95 per box for shipping, so the company made a whopping 5 pence off me through the exorbitant additional charge.:)

As for sizing, I don't know how these compare to Alden, Clark, Crockett & Jones, Red Wing, Tricker's, Viberg, Wesco, White's or Wolverine, since I've never owned any of those brands (I know, it's crazy). That said, I'm pretty consistently a size 11 (US) in everything else I own, so I ordered the equivalent size 10 (UK). The boots are big by about 1/2 a size, so I just tossed a pair of insoles in them and now they fit fine. Straight out of the box (well, technically, boxes), they were comfortable. Lots of wiggle room in the toe and a good snug fit through the heel and ankle. No problems whatsoever with chafing or blisters. Due to the massive triple leather sole, these have been slow to break in. I swear, I think it took about a week before I even got them to flex at the ball of the foot.

Overall quality is pretty good. The leather looks good- consistent grain, no blemishes or scarring, good color depth and clarity, etc. They smell great; I love that fresh leather aroma. Stitching is generally good, as well. Soles are, as I said, triple leather and are stitched and brass nailed. The boots are heavy. I haven't weighed them, but I wouldn't be surprised if they're 4+ pounds. They're a bit bulkier than they appear on the website; in fact, I was worried that they'd be Frankenstein-ish. However, when I tried them on, my wife commented, “oh, those don't look as large as I thought they would.†Which is sort of good, I guess... I have received 2-3 compliments on them, which, considering how I dress, is remarkable.

And finally, after all the boring words, here are the slightly less boring pics:

014.jpg

075.jpg

018.jpg

Lighting in this room is terrible, so the color is a bit off, as is the white balance. Damn hotel CFLs.

Thanks for posting, Chris. How's the leather quality? It looks slightly more opaque than the waxy tan leather on their site.

FWIW, I asked them about the different leathers; I thought the waxy tan looked better quality than that shown on the Derby - they said they're all the same type of hides, just different colours. I ordered the mid brown latigo, like the boots indigojunky posted...

Mine should be about a month, so we'll soon have more Lennon action going on.

Horsehide is NOT Shell Cordovan.

Horsehide is much cheaper and do not have the same prized features of shell.

Should not pay shell cordovan prices if they were advertised and asking for such.

Nice boots though!

I completely understand, however the tag on the inside of the boots actually reads "Wolverine Triple Tanned Shell Horsehide," which makes me believe they are indeed shell cordovan. And they don't look that different, just not quite as glossy. I think there were some vintage ads depicting this use of shell horsehide as a synonym to shell cordovan a few pages back too.

See:<a  href=http://farm5.static.flickr.com/4103/5202238730_4bf92511ba_z.jpg' alt='5202238730_4bf92511ba_z.jpg'> Picture 351 by ray.wendolowski, on Flickr[/img]

^what size are they?

Size 7D....i have baby feet, i know....:o

Standard last, 430 sole, dress brown leather, nickle eyes and hooks, natural edge, double midsole, cream liner, standard trim, no toe cap, standard heel.

Any solution guys? would insole helps a little?:(

To be honest, if they are a whole size too big I would just return them for an exchange and eat the charge.

You will find it hard to sell a size like that without making a loss, which could also take a while.

By all means try an insole but remember these boots are going to last you a lifetime and it's always best to get the right size from the beginning instead of realising it a few months down the line.

To be honest, if they are a whole size too big I would just return them for an exchange and eat the charge.

You will find it hard to sell a size like that without making a loss, which could also take a while.

By all means try an insole but remember these boots are going to last you a lifetime and it's always best to get the right size from the beginning instead of realising it a few months down the line.

You are absolutely right about the boots are going to last pretty much forever, i'm gonna exchange it, thanks for the help.:)

If those wolverines were just horsehide the "crinkle" would be all over the boot. Shell, over time, with hard use will show faint "crinkles" where the creases are. I have seen this effect on vintage florsheim shell shoes.

it's very tough. some cowboy boots are made from it. it has a fairly rough texture if i'm not mistaken.