Shoes that look better with age...

mizanation

x-post from evolution of leather

redwings 2 years, cleaned them today

redsoc9.jpg

13821718.jpg

treated with Obenaufs

Whoa I can't believe those are the same boots. I used to have the same pair and this is what they looked like after a few seasons of wear.

redwing3.jpg

redwing1.jpg

redwing2.jpg

Yours post evo looks more like my 875's. They must of sucked up a good 8 oz. of Obenaufs to get that color. Makes me wish I held on to mine. Do you have any pictures mid way between the two you posted? BTW if anyone can help me find a pair of Red Wing 8173's in a 10.5EE I will repay you greatly.

875s w some Obenaufs

IMG_0286.jpg

Do you have any pictures mid way between the two you posted?

yes, here they are.

in the beginning I used a product called 'Meltonians delicate cream' to take off the nubuck effect which I didn't like very much (too delicate with indigo jeans imo).

dsc04888nj2.jpg

dsc04886gc6.jpg

this is what they looked like when they dried

dsc04890wz7.jpg

rwingswy1.jpg

after that, one or two coats of Obenaufs made them very much darker.

those are 10 or 10.5... and not to be worn with slim jeans. oversized 66s or chinos.

eh, when I checked em out they were just sooo high, they were the boots but just gigantic. I should give the shoe versions another shot, I like them more now.

would anyone know of a pair of boots that look like the Alden Roy boots, with horween leather and no toe stitching, but without a crepe sole? Hopefully a pair without a very pronounced heel

I'd just love to find more plain toe Alden boots made with the tru balance last and in a variety of sizes! Though I love the plantation crepe sole. The Horween leather in particular they are using on the Roy Boots are chromexcel. The only fully laced chromexcel Alden boots that are regularly available that I can think of are the Indy 403 and the Ultimate Indy from Leather Soul Hawaii, but both of those have toe stitching. Sorry braddah. I actually have a pair of Kudu (A variety of chromexcel) plain toe Alden boots built on the same last as the Roy for sale in the SUFUmarket:

http://www.superfuture.com/supertalk/showthread.php?t=206902

Also if you haven't seen this already everyone should check out this post on the Horween Blog about chromexcel:

http://horween.wordpress.com/2010/03/23/chromexcel%C2%AE-2/

Amazingly there's a Red Wing Shoe store in Queens. Since I haven't been to Queens in about a year. I have no idea what they carry.

RED WING SHOE STORE

47-01 QUEENS BLVD

SUNNYSIDE NY 11104

Unfortunately there's not many stores that carry Chippewa and Fyre's anymore. Used to be tons of them in Greenwich Village in the late 80's. They've all disappeared. I think there's just one now.

New York City is excellent for dress shoes, however.

would anyone know of a pair of boots that look like the Alden Roy boots, with horween leather and no toe stitching, but without a crepe sole? Hopefully a pair without a very pronounced heel

The Wolverine 1000 mile boot is made from the EXACT same brown Horween Chromexcel leather. It has a plain toe, leather sole, is American made, and comes in at around $100 less than comparable Aldens.

Don't get me wrong, I'm an Alden man all the way but the Wolverines are a damn fine pair of boots.W05301.jpg

woohoo...just got ship notification from Baker that my new pair of Semi-Dress boots shipped and will be here Friday. This will be my third pair. Trying the single leather sole, Chrome Excel leather, block heel and new Swing last....also trying 1/2 size smaller to wear with thinner socks for summer so I'm keeping my fingers crossed that they'll fit...bit of a gamble but my 11.5's feel plenty roomy with thicker hiking socks and too loose with a lighter weight sock so hopefully my gamble works out..

how does the sizing of wolverines compare with Redwings? i was thinking of getting a pair was well. thanks

same. 1/2 size down. i even have a small insole in mine and they fit perfect. i have a pair of black 1000 mile and the leather is quite thick and feels quite substantial. will try and put a few pictures up if i can get around to it in a timely manner.