Shoes that look better with age...

mizanation

personally I'm on the like side of the division... rnrswitch, how are the alden crepe soles to wear? my tanker's are coming up to needing resoling and I was thinking I might send them back to alden and switching to the crepe/leather toe, intead of commando as they are now. Are they heavy? and do they seem like they'll last a while (especially does the leather toe seem like it might split off)? I love the commando soles, but I've got them on 3 pairs of boots, and I fancy something a bit lighter-weight. thanks!

quote 'and do they seem like they'll last a while (especially does the leather toe seem like it might split off)?'

especially this; the crepe soles on my Red WIng 875 could as well be made from butter, they don't do well on concrete, stone floors (where i walk on 90% of the time) According to Context, Leathersoul? (don't remember who told me) these crepe soles should even be able to withstand better to concrete than the commando soles...

edit: Mich!, you should keep these beauties and make sweet love to them every evening; seriously if those were 8D I would have bought them immediately

edit: Mich!, you should keep these beauties and make sweet love to them every evening; seriously if those were 8D I would have bought them immediately

Lol, it pains me! i just have to let these go for the sake of not being able to give them the tlc they deserve.

I just hope someone else will so i'd rather see them end up with someone here than to throw them on the bay.

Crepe soles can have their downside, but I always dug the fact that your steps are completely soundless in them, even at a sprint. If I ever take up cat burglary, I'll do it in desert boots.

I would agree except for the fact that under the toe make a noise where the metal nails hit the ground...

personally I'm on the like side of the division... rnrswitch, how are the alden crepe soles to wear? my tanker's are coming up to needing resoling and I was thinking I might send them back to alden and switching to the crepe/leather toe, intead of commando as they are now. Are they heavy? and do they seem like they'll last a while (especially does the leather toe seem like it might split off)? I love the commando soles, but I've got them on 3 pairs of boots, and I fancy something a bit lighter-weight. thanks!

I usually don't like crepe soles, like the big bulky white ones on red wings, but these are very sleek and still look somewhat "dressy." They look like they will last for some time and I don't get the impression that they are wearing down any faster than a typical rubber sole, but I have only had them for a week.

In regards to the toe, it looks to be on there pretty well. I don't know how it is attached to the rest of the boot. The nails hold it to the main sole and I would assume glue holds it to the crepe sole.

These are very comfortable boots. Plenty of room in the toe area with a nice snug fit around my ankle/heel zone. If you like the fit of the Indy, but want something a little more dressier, these are the boots. I also like the lack of toe stitching on these.

edit: I am on crack. Actually the leather toe sole is stitched around the toe to the boot and nailed along the rear portion of the sole.

^^^ very good, thanks. I know what you mean about Red Wing soles, and the fact that these are different is what I like about them too. When the time comes I think I'll go for it on my cordovan tankers. I presume Alden don't mind putting on a different sole when you return them? anyone?

I briefly considered negging you for this atrocity of a comment.

oh well. i guess i just dont like the look of them and the feel. i think a lot of things can be much better

especially this; the crepe soles on my Red WIng 875 could as well be made from butter, they don't do well on concrete, stone floors (where i walk on 90% of the time) According to Context, Leathersoul? (don't remember who told me) these crepe soles should even be able to withstand better to concrete than the commando soles...

fwiw: the "crepe" soles on redwings/et al are nothing at all like the crepe soles on the Clarks and the like. The RW version (often referred to as "Christys") are in fact made out of blown rubber, as opposed to the layered natural rubber of a true crepe sole. Just looking at the Roy boots they appear to be the same kind of "plantation crepe" which have very little to do with the plasticky "crepe" soles on Red Wings.

Yeah, I believe these are referred to as plantation crepe soles.

Yes, "wedge sole" is a larger term usually, which just indicates that the sole is one solid piece that is thicker at the heel than the toe. Meaning: there is no separate "heel" but the heel is still taller.

However this also means that you could conceivably have a plantation crepe wedge sole... but I've never seen one.

Is the lighter pair in the bottom photo the other RRL Bowery boot? Those are really gorgeous looking boots. Wish they were 11.5 and not 12 :(

Yes those are the light brown RRL Bowery. They made even less of those. The light brown is my favorite and my wife said that I should suffer through the pain and just wear them.

Yes, "wedge sole" is a larger term usually, which just indicates that the sole is one solid piece that is thicker at the heel than the toe. Meaning: there is no separate "heel" but the heel is still taller.

However this also means that you could conceivably have a plantation crepe wedge sole... but I've never seen one.

Wallabees?

Oh, nice to know. Cheers.

Haven't seen too many pics here lately of worn shoes and their development, so here's a couple of mine; I try to only polish them when absolutely necessary because of the unusual colors:

Dior DEFC3466 VEA M1 4cm - '06 or '07 I believe

100_0310.jpg

100_0309.jpg

100_0308.jpg

Diesel Slicky II '07 or '08 - I know Diesel is boredline blasphomey here, but these are sweet and unusually well made for Diesel

100_0311.jpg

100_0312.jpg

100_0313.jpg