Shoes that look better with age...

mizanation

Got these a few weeks ago after seeing ajchen's black pair.

Wolverine 1000 Mile Ascot Boots. Size 9. Worn maybe 6 times. So far I'm very pleased. Really easy to dress up or dress down.

IMG_1316.jpg

IMG_1317.jpg

Really cool, would you say the quality is on par with red wings or better?

my indys after two weeks surfing and saltwater treatment in south portugal

IMG_2379.JPG

just waiting on the new batch of ultimate indys coming soon to leathersoul.

when they arrive, i want to repair the connection between upper and lower boot, by using (if possible vintage) rivets on each side of the boot - see most service boots.

any opinions, suggestions or constructive criticism from all of you?!

red,are you german? if so,where from?

EDIT:just read your last post in the denimethread again which answered above question

yeah i'm a student in Recklinghausen im Pott

2010 should be quite an interesting year for this region with the cultural capital of europe and all that shill

Some shots of the finished models from Patina and Wild Child.

patina_01.jpg

patina_04.jpg

patina_05.jpg

so Kiya...

when...?

soon? never...?

I almost posted a couple of these the other night when I was asking about Patina Kiya boots (a few pages back). These are the best boots that never was ! They were originally mentioned back in May '08 !! It's '10 now - I can only imagine what the turn around would be on these $600 boots. So, as much as I like 'em.. I may just need to forget about 'em.

my indys after two weeks surfing and saltwater treatment in south portugal

IMG_2379.JPG

just waiting on the new batch of ultimate indys coming soon to leathersoul.

when they arrive, i want to repair the connection between upper and lower boot, by using (if possible vintage) rivets on each side of the boot

Man Kudos to you for having the balls to not baby your Aldens so much ! I like that you said screw it around the salt water ... lots of guys wouldn't have. As far as the rivets, shit dude, I say go for it. I always liked that look and why not since it is an obvious stress area that is prone to fail. Not that I would recommend it on every pair of boots, but not bad for a change if you have multiple pairs.

So, I need some input to see if I'm just an overly picky SOB or not.

My first pair of White's SD were my brown cap-toes w/ double leather sole. These were purchased to be be an alternate to my Indys for all the nice months of the year. The first pair I received were beautiful with excellent fit and finish but there was a small awl scratch and puncture hole in the leather. I contacted White's who was very nice and said to send them back and they started on a replacement pair. I was so happy with the overall quality of them and their willingness to fix the issue that i also ordered a second pair at that time (black ones a few pages back). I received both those and the replacement brown pair on Friday.

The black boots are great, been wearing them all weekend and I love them. The brown ones are very nice but there is this ripple in the toe box of the right boot. Check the pics. The first one is pretty indicative of what you see when you just look at them, the second picture was lit to show the ripple the best.

Is this normal and expected on a pair of boots like this? I'll admit to being somewhat of a perfectionist in some things and am wondering if I'm overreacting being bothered by this. If it were on the black ones, which are my "beater" winter boots, I wouldn't be concerned but on my nice cap-toe dress boots it bugs me a little.

In looking around I have seen some evidence of this sort of thing on some other White's and Wesco boots so maybe it just happens with this style of boot and I should just live with it. Any input from other White's owners?

dsc2591.jpg

dsc2598.jpg

Just out of curiosity are theyre any faux leather boots out there that look as good as a genuine leather pair. My buddy wants to pick up a pair of boots but hes vegan and all that stuff so its kind of against what hes into. I dont really remember seeing anything really. Any vegan friendly options?

Slide 13,

You're not being picky. That's a clear manufacturing defect on your White's. You definitely should return them. I really surprised they didn't catch it, as they are an ISO certified manufacturer. I have the Semidress and Smokejumpers, and the quality is exceptional, so don't give up on them. Just some bad luck.

I'm no expert but I'm not convinced that it's a defect per se. It's definitely abnormal, but I think it's also something that might change/fade as the boots age and the leather stretched. If it were me, I wouldn't return them.

Oh, and for what it's worth, there have been pairs of whites shown here, some very recently, that have a similar, if not more dramatic version of the same thing going on and no one seemed to notice, or at least no one commented on it... but like I said, I'm not an expert.

Man Kudos to you for having the balls to not baby your Aldens so much ! I like that you said screw it around the salt water ... lots of guys wouldn't have. As far as the rivets, shit dude, I say go for it. I always liked that look and why not since it is an obvious stress area that is prone to fail. Not that I would recommend it on every pair of boots, but not bad for a change if you have multiple pairs.

thx for the input doug!

CIAS- You are correct, i have seen similar things on a few White's posted elsewhere in this thread which is one reason I'm asking if some people find it normal for them. Not sure what I'll do yet.

call white's tomorrow and see what they say about it. I might be inclined to return them. Although I have seen plenty of pairs with that goin on, I have seen plenty without it as well; and I think they look a lot better without it.

Yeah I've seen that a lot on White's, even on the pairs on Japanese shop websites. I think it's pretty normal and wouldn't bother returning if it were me.

Turntabloid, am I reading it right, you went surfing in your indies?! I'm not one for babying boots but thats just craziness.

Edit: Slide - I'd go as far to say, if they were a 9E i'd buy them off you!

Turntabloid, am I reading it right, you went surfing in your indies?! I'm not one for babying boots but thats just craziness.

haha, no not actually using them while in the water or on the board.

nevertheless, they were my only pair of shoes during the whole trip.

meaning, as it was damn cold and rainy, whenever i came out of the water, checked the waves, walked the beach and so forth, i had them on.

they got loads of salt water, up to the point that i did not get them dry anymore, but not the amount you are suggesting.

nice thought though - me in my wetsuit and instead of a pair neoprene booties, my indys on. hah!

Slide13, you may arguably be entitled to a replacement boot and I'd say you have a good point but I also think it depends on how one looks at their boots as to whether that should be pursued. If you think of them as dress boots and want them shined up often or whether you intend to beat the hell out of them and shine em only occasionally. Personally that wouldn't bother me enough to send them back, I look at it as more character. But then again, they are yours and they are expensive and from my experience if there's something nagging at you now, it will probably bother you for a long time to come if not forever. Just my .02 - Good luck.