Shoes that look better with age...

mizanation

P1120097.jpg

This picture captures exactly what my take away from seeing these boots in person was...the shape of the toe on this boot is fucking dreadful, and completely ruins what would otherwise be a relatively solid looking boot.

any one seen this?

http://www.choisser.com/

Whoa. I suppose its nice when two of your passions coincide so conveniently.

Edit: Joking aside, there are some great boots on that site, plus it makes how into boots we all are seem normal and not creepy at all by comparison.

any one seen this?

http://www.choisser.com/

Whoa. I suppose its nice when two of your passions coincide so conveniently.

Edit: Joking aside, there are some great boots on that site, plus it makes how into boots we all are seem normal and not creepy at all by comparison.

If it doesn't hurt the integrity of the shoe and is just cosmetic, whatever. What to you think?

It's purely cosmetic. Looks like they didn't pull the leather around the last tight enough.

That would bug the hell out of me, but you can either get them resoled or just roll with it until it starts to peel up then get them resoled.

I don't think there's a way that they can correct that unless they re-welt the shoe. (And very few shoemakers if any would do that as it'd basically mean redoing the whole shoe.)

fardin,my GT size is 9,5.

Turntabloid,no sno seal or wax,i prefer suede in natural,so its brushing and some care spray from time to time

Hey almostnice could you post some evo pics of your gt's?

got the 9014 or 9011 or others?

if i've overread your post with the gt's I'm sorry!...

have you went for a 9.5 also in these military boots?

I have them. They are great and very well made with high attention to detail. I think there are better values for your money, but not if you are looking for something that looks just right.

can someone (demonito) what is the advantage of different soles? ive seen cats paw and heard of it on here but dont know anything about those. i have alden indys if that means anything

I have them. They are great and very well made with high attention to detail. I think there are better values for your money, but not if you are looking for something that looks just right.

Thanks--Much appreciated. I'll probably get them, but I'm unsure of the sizing. Size the same as wolverines/red wings? Also, how is the leather quality if you're able to comment?

Cat Paw's is one of the original rubber soles from the 1930's that stopped production, I think recently, 80's or 90's. They are hard to find due to the recent interest in vintage reproduction boots. I think their appeal is strictly cosmetic due to the white dots and the cool logo designed by Lucian Bernhard.

A lot of older repair shops still have them, especially in a larger size like 13 or 14. However since the rubber is from the 50's, so is the technology. They don't exactly last very long. If you want to look for them, you have to do a bit of legwork, but try and talk to old shops that have been around for a while.

I would recommend using Vibram, since the rubber is way more durable.

Thanks--Much appreciated. I'll probably get them, but I'm unsure of the sizing. Size the same as wolverines/red wings? Also, how is the leather quality if you're able to comment?

The quality of the materials is excellent...if it was any better, they would be nicer than the originals. The leather itself is magnificent, and though I love these boots as rough-outs, I definitely find myself wishing I had a pair of boots made from the smooth side of the leather used for these. Not sure for the sizing on the Red Wings and Wolverines, but everything I have read here plus my own experience would have me believing that you would be perfectly alright with these in either the same size as your Red Wings. Keep in mind you will definitely be using an insert. I would send a PM to Beatle who is currently selling a pair of these (small ones I think) as she has at least one pair of Red Wings and could probably speak better to sizing recommendations. Good luck, I'll look forward to pictures.

Hey almostnice could you post some evo pics of your gt's?

got the 9014 or 9011 or others?

if i've overread your post with the gt's I'm sorry!...

have you went for a 9.5 also in these military boots?

mine are 9011.about time for new pics,this weekend maybe.

as i wrote i choosed a 9.i dont think they sell them in half sizes.

Hey fellas, new here but I've been lurking for a few months now...what an epic thread this is! Really a gold mine of great information and pics of leather boots/shoes.

Thought I'd share a few pics of my custom Semi-Dress.

CIMG2319.jpg

CIMG2336.jpg

CIMG2335.jpg

CIMG2344.jpg

CIMG2374.jpg

For those that haven't had the pleasure of owning a pair of White's, a few observations:

-even though they may look a bit "clunky," it's just an illusion. Once they're on your feet they feel light and trim.

-once broken in, they fit like an old leather glove. Really some of the most comfortable shoes I've ever worn.

-don't let the "Arch-ease" scare you off...although it's very prominent and might feel a bit weird at first, it conforms to your arch within a few days of wearing. Truly outstanding support.

Over all, I couldn't be happier with these boots. The custom ordering process was a smooth experience, handled by phone and fax with Mark at White's. Excellent customer service, very easy. I made a special request to have a shorter cap-toe than they normally make, provided a picture of what I meant, and it turned out exactly as I envisioned. I'm also very pleased with the leather lining...buttery smooth and adds a bit of structure to the boot.

As far as care, I treated them with Obenauf's LP when I first received them, and have since hit them up with Saphir cream polish once or twice. They have broken in beautifully.