Shoes that look better with age...

mizanation

Where did you hear this rumor? The source might help us figure out if it's credible or not...

A lil' bit out of topic (bust just a bit). I've heard the rumour that Red Wing Boots are no longer made in the USA but in China :eek:

True???

I was at the Red Wing store here a couple of weeks ago and they said the Heritage Line is pretty much the only one being made in the US. Most of the other shoes/boots are being made in China.

I was at the Red Wing store here a couple of weeks ago and they said the Heritage Line is pretty much the only one being made in the US. Most of the other shoes/boots are being made in China.

Ah, okay. I've read it somewhere, can't remember. After that I googled and found some US-boards, they've discussed it.

So, I need some input to see if I'm just an overly picky SOB or not.

My first pair of White's SD were my brown cap-toes w/ double leather sole. These were purchased to be be an alternate to my Indys for all the nice months of the year. The first pair I received were beautiful with excellent fit and finish but there was a small awl scratch and puncture hole in the leather. I contacted White's who was very nice and said to send them back and they started on a replacement pair. I was so happy with the overall quality of them and their willingness to fix the issue that i also ordered a second pair at that time (black ones a few pages back). I received both those and the replacement brown pair on Friday.

The black boots are great, been wearing them all weekend and I love them. The brown ones are very nice but there is this ripple in the toe box of the right boot. Check the pics. The first one is pretty indicative of what you see when you just look at them, the second picture was lit to show the ripple the best.

Is this normal and expected on a pair of boots like this? I'll admit to being somewhat of a perfectionist in some things and am wondering if I'm overreacting being bothered by this. If it were on the black ones, which are my "beater" winter boots, I wouldn't be concerned but on my nice cap-toe dress boots it bugs me a little.

In looking around I have seen some evidence of this sort of thing on some other White's and Wesco boots so maybe it just happens with this style of boot and I should just live with it. Any input from other White's owners?

dsc2591.jpg

dsc2598.jpg

natural man dont return it use it

Update-

I pretty much decided that I could live with this on these boots and didn't really want them to have to make a new pair just for this issue. I did email pictures to the guy I had been working there to get his input though here is what he had to say:

With hand-made boots little ripples are common through-out the from the hides of leather, as you wear them some will appear. I wish I could say every boot will be perfect, but they are not. When making an all leather product there will be little things like that.

I refer to this as boots with character! Each one is unique...

I think that this is just somewhat normal with White's or Wesco boots. Maybe it is due to the toe shape, thicker leather and construction process. It won't stop me from buying more White's in the future as the overall quality is amazing.

Figured I'd give an update on my 1000 Mile boots. I've had these since the end of August

P1120094.jpg

P1120096.jpg

P1120097.jpg

Nice lookin boots man. I wish mine had panned out, but papashoe.com refused to sell them to me.

I was looking for something in my garage this weekend and found a small 1 oz bottle of Wesco Bee Oil...

I didn't even know I had it! It must have fallen out when I bought my boots years ago.... Anyone know if summer heat (100+) hurts this stuff?

It looks okay to me... I think I'll oil my boss boots tomorrow!

looks like part of the leather near the bottom of my boot isn't tucked under and makes the captoe look a bit irregular. I don't mind too much, just as long as they wont fall apart on me.

Should I be concerned? Or am I being way too picky?

img3260jpg.jpg

img3262jpg.jpg

looks like part of the leather near the bottom of my boot isn't tucked under and makes the captoe look a bit irregular. I don't mind too much, just as long as they wont fall apart on me.

Should I be concerned? Or am I being way too picky?

img3260jpg.jpg

img3262jpg.jpg

the cheap version of the M43 serviceboots i ordered saturdaynight arrived today:

4271569463_166e7a24c6.jpg

4272316514_1689ab6f53.jpg

4271572897_ecfbf04399.jpg

4272318772_91455c6fc8.jpg

4272319842_4ed50ea594.jpg

leather isnt roughout but soft suede,about 2,5-3mm thickness.everything apart from the rubbersole is made from leather,the heel is nailed.all the stitches are clean and tidy sewn.i dont know how they compare to originals,WWII impressions,buzz or mccoys.for just around 90,-€ they must lack in quality,but for that amount i got a very nice boot that reminds me a lot of my clarks desertboots,which cost more and werent made that good.what i never liked on the clarks is that soft creepsole that cant be resoled and the softness of the boot itself.these feel a lot sturdier,esp. the heelcap which gives good support,a detail my clarks also missed.

i ordered a german sz. 43 which is UK 9/US 10.they feel like being by a half size too small so i will return them for a 10.

http://www.rangershop.de is going to send me a formular for free return,i just hope that the new pair is made that good aswell.

if anybody is interested here the direct link:http://www.ranger-shop.de/products/Am-Fuss/Schuhe-Stiefel/Schuhe-Leder/US-Kampfschuhe.html

the cheap version of the M43 serviceboots i ordered saturdaynight arrived today:

4271569463_166e7a24c6.jpg

4272316514_1689ab6f53.jpg

4271572897_ecfbf04399.jpg

4272318772_91455c6fc8.jpg

4272319842_4ed50ea594.jpg

leather isnt roughout but soft suede,about 2,5-3mm thickness.everything apart from the rubbersole is made from leather,the heel is nailed.all the stitches are clean and tidy sewn.i dont know how they compare to originals,WWII impressions,buzz or mccoys.for just around 90,-€ they must lack in quality,but for that amount i got a very nice boot that reminds me a lot of my clarks desertboots,which cost more and werent made that good.what i never liked on the clarks is that soft creepsole that cant be resoled and the softness of the boot itself.these feel a lot sturdier,esp. the heelcap which gives good support,a detail my clarks also missed.

i ordered a german sz. 43 which is UK 9/US 10.they feel like being by a half size too small so i will return them for a 10.

http://www.rangershop.de is going to send me a formular for free return,i just hope that the new pair is made that good aswell.

if anybody is interested here the direct link:http://www.ranger-shop.de/products/Am-Fuss/Schuhe-Stiefel/Schuhe-Leder/US-Kampfschuhe.html