Shoes that look better with age...

mizanation

Sorry if this has been discussed but just wondering what color polishes have people used on theyre black cherry GT? Im thinking of using black to darken them up. But was curious to see if anyone has used any sort of brown and what the result was.

I actually use some Doc Marten's Cherry colored polish that's an almost perfect color match. I can't find a link or photo, but I got it here.

damn. someone must like you or something...
Dude - that is quite a gift! I got a pair of socks...
^^^ Those Aldens are gorgeous. Congrats.

Thank you all. Yes I am VERY lucky to have some very generous people with good taste in my life. Can't wait to break them in.

Sorry if this has been discussed but just wondering what color polishes have people used on theyre black cherry GT? Im thinking of using black to darken them up. But was curious to see if anyone has used any sort of brown and what the result was.

Just a little after I first got mine (1 year +) I used a "russet" color shoe cream on my blackcherry GTs. They looked great, lightened them up just a bit and they looked alot like what I think of as '40s russet. But I never did it again and I think they've retained alot of that brighter tone, which I like. I plan to just use a Kiwi brown (light brown if it's even available) or a tan. I'm not a big fan of the true blkcherry color, it's just a fancy name for burgandy to me, which is ok in some context but I prefer more of a brown or black for vintage looking boots. JMHO.

You guys get your White / Wesco's Lined or Standard (Unlined)? Any advantage either way?

Mine are unlined because it's cheaper and there's no lining to wear out. I think you have to have certain leathers lined, including french calf.

By #8's what do you mean? Is that suppose to be shell cordovan in #8. It doesn't look like shell.

Other than the single stitching, those boots look pretty nice.

I just got a pair of Alden Cigar Chukkas for Christmas and was wondering, do I waterproof them before I wear them out? Thanks in advance.

::Edit:: Sorry for derailing the thread.

no derailing..but you should post pictures

:)

why the fuck these pair of #8 semi dress ( whites) have only 1 row of welt stitch??? god damn japs

Wow, those boots look awesome to me just the way they are (except the heal).... The double row of stitching around the welt is called "norwegean welt", right? I know it's a very popular detail amongst most folks in this forum (myself excluded) but was it a popular thing in the golden age (if you will) of work boots? I never see it in old pics and from memory the vintage catalog's usually displayed single stitching though I could be wrong on that. I personally feel it's too much, especially when combined with the typical high heals that you see on most white's. Come to think of it, maybe it's just the heals that I can't relate to the most.. but to each there own, of course.

Got these a week ago. LL Bean Katahdin Engineer boots. Didn't have any Obenauf's so I had to order it and it came today, so obviously I lathered that Obenauf's on right after it came.

Before:

img00009201001051732.jpg

Left right after I finished:

img00010201001051747.jpg

Very interested to see the evo on these

I got some Katahdins a couple months ago. A little disapointed in the leather. It is not very durable against abrasion. I treated mine with some waterproofing wax.

EDIT: Here is a picture, sorry for the crap quality, crop from a much bigger picture and excuse the other feet...:

mg5363.jpg

I got some Katahdins a couple months ago. A little disapointed in the leather. It is not very durable against abrasion. I treated mine with some waterproofing wax.

EDIT: Here is a picture, sorry for the crap quality, crop from a much bigger picture and excuse the other feet...:

mg5363.jpg

Katahdins look good...hard to tell exactly whats going on in the picture...depending, it might be a great candidate for the "what are your jeans doing today" thread.