Shoes that look better with age...

mizanation

i ordered leather food and they sent me BLACK instead of clear... so i thought, hell why not? Fun little experiment on my Beeswax Clarks

http://2.bp.blogspot.com/_x7t-KHsfsYA/SzWjigVMoyI/AAAAAAAAAGM/BI-GHEaqkfg/s400/DSC_0466.JPG

http://3.bp.blogspot.com/_x7t-KHsfsYA/SzWji5QgE9I/AAAAAAAAAGU/_CX4loHVFN8/s400/DSC_0468.JPG

aand here is the finished product

http://1.bp.blogspot.com/_x7t-KHsfsYA/SzWjjPAJdQI/AAAAAAAAAGc/XK6GS_HlhIM/s400/DSC_0476.JPG

I'm hoping the black wax will slowly wear away in some spots so the beeswax can show through more.

gavin seriously can you show me the welt stitching on those? cause it looks like theres only 1 row of stitch on the sole ... well my bounty hunters has 2 rows of that stitch.

hey ed

I got a question for you from one honkie to another, I'm looking for a pair or boot (preferably black) that I can wear for work, I'm currently in hong kong but I work in syd. I was wondering if u can recommend me any where I can go to get a good pair of standing boots that will age well.

cheers

gavin seriously can you show me the welt stitching on those? cause it looks like theres only 1 row of stitch on the sole ... well my bounty hunters has 2 rows of that stitch.

There is two rows Eddie. Not entirely visible from the top but clear from the bottom.

Mike, they are 6 inch smooth brown.

OK eddie I'll take a picture tomorrow.

About semi-dress, I think I'm going to have to trade up my Redwing GT 1911 for a pair. I've had three pairs of Redwings and none fit me well. I think they are trying to tell me something.

If anyone is after a GT in US9, pm me.

Baker Bay Hiker by White's Boots

http://www.bakershoe.com/shop-by-brand.cfm/brand/whites-boots/product/baker-bay-hiker-by-whites-boots/

Baker's now offering Horween Crome Excel in black and brown too

It doesn't look like brown chromexcel is an option for some of the other boots styles.

Nice...brown chromexcel as an option on semi-dress! I've already got two semi-dress boots but I now see I'm going to need a third with this as an option. I love chromexcel leather but I don't actually have anything in it right now.

I really like the White's smooth brown. What's the big difference with brown Chromexcel and the smooth brown? I guess i've heard the hype on chromexcel specifically with regards to INDY boots - where the color alone is enough to trade up to chrome.

Is the leather thicker, more water resistant, softer?

not sure how it compares to brown smooth as I've never handled that leather in person. (I have a pair in brown semi-dress leather and a pair coming in the black oil tanned leather from the smoke jumpers for my winter boots). Chromexcel is typically a fairly thick leather (most Alden boots that use it feel thicker then any of the standard Alden leather counterparts in my experience). It also tends to have a lot of character in the leather and gains more very quickly and only look better as it does.

I figure if they can do it on one boot they can probably do it on the rest. I may go for a BH in it myself since I already have a couple SD's....i'll probably just call up White's and see if I can go direct through them, they are great to deal with.

Curious - Why did you choose the SD instead pf the BH in 6"? I like the way the BH looks a bit better - but I've only seen pics...

The added piece around the back heel takes a lot away from the sleekness of the shape of the Semi-Dress in my opinion. Still a great look and a pair of BH might be next for me because I do like them, but given only one i would pick the SD as I just love the shape and look of that boot.

With the dressy and more utilitarian SD covered the BH seems like a solid next choice to cover true work boot...I may go for an 8" height on that one as well.

Just coated a pair of Alden boot laces with a generous amount of sno-seal, they don't feel as sturdy as my waxed Rickson laces, but they look darker and sleeker which I think is a good fit for my cap-toe jump boots which are currently in the middle of their first full polish after about six months of wear. Will snap some pictures of the end result if I get a chance.

I need to get a better camera, but heres a quick shot of the family after a little bit of cleaning, and brushing, plus a full polish for my jump boots...they look way better than I am capable of capturing with my camera. Everytime I really work with shells, I am reminded of what a magical material it really is...owning a pair is really a whole new experience.

Also, just put up my Whites Smokejumpers for sale in the supermarket, check my signature.

DSCN1464.jpg