Shoes that look better with age...

mizanation

^^^^^ ummmm. Your joking right? You totally intended to put a (10) at the end of that right?

well i am *mostly* joking. the smoke jumpers are definitely overkill for most of my needs. in retrospect, i would have preferred to go for some bounty hunters with cats paw soles for the city, and gone for a custom shorter boot to save time putting them on, but it's not like i'll be buying another pair in the next 10 years, so i will be wearing the ones i have and loving them.

i don't believe in doing things half-assed. i usually want the best, or not at all, which is an attitude that lends itself to overkill.

as an example: i carry an emerson CQC7B folding knife, which is definitely overkill for opening packages and cutting through the odd cord/cable/zip strip (something i use it for every day.) however if the day comes that i do have to defend myself or my family with it, i will be glad that it is the best damn fighting knife that can be legally carried in new york city.

overkill? yeah, probably. do i regret buying it? nope.

and that I was just taking issue with the fucking ridiculous logic and obnoxious tone of denim phenom's post, but I understand it's been awhile since you've had a chance to tell people what is and isn't legitimate for them to wear, and I know how much that means to you.

You sure are quick to insult people for their opinions.

Chill out dude.

It is absolutely utilitarian...whether or not it is also a fashion conscious move, which I never said it wasn't. Whites are also the most comfortable boot I have worn, and even though don't work with industrial machinery, I am on my feet on concrete for the entirety of my work day, so that's an important factor too. I'm sure you know I wasn't arguing that anyone needs a pair of smokejumpers for city living, and that I was just taking issue with the fucking ridiculous logic and obnoxious tone of denim phenom's post, but I understand it's been awhile since you've had a chance to tell people what is and isn't legitimate for them to wear, and I know how much that means to you.

Dude, you just ruined my reading experience.

I don't care if people wear smoke jumpers who don't fight fires. I was just saying that we need to admit that it has very little to do with utilitarianism and more with fashion.

I like the_ming's philosophy a bit more, because he admits it is overkill, but just doesn't like doing things half-assed. I can respect that, but attempting to justify it as almost necessary to encompass the days activities is a bit over the top.

But anyways, I would hate to ruin your reading experience as you and i have already ruined mine.

My mother in law got me a pair of LL Bean leather slippers last Christmas that are just now coming into their prime.

I started them out with a nice coat of Obenauf's and for the Winter sprayed a layer of Teflon on them so all the nog i'm drinking doesn't ruin them.

They have a multi colored upper so Edmond would love them.

The top has a mock toe stitching so all the RW 875 fans out there could get down with them.

They have gum soles like those stupid ass Russell Moccasin boots that Bill was trying to push so everyone was, of couse, drinking the Kool-Aid.

I can answer any fit questions you guys might have. I wear them a little big to accomodate socks.

Oh, and their hand sewn so I might send them out to Hukuro-cujo to have a Cat's Paw put on there.

Will post pictures later....(10)

I spent some time at Happy Feet and had a follow up call with White's. In order to get a boot to accomodate my orthotics, I would need to get a boot built without the archease system - basically with a flat footbed and a block heel. Seems like it's not easy to get White's to do this and they are not accostomed to fitting customers with orthotics (they believe that the fit is so good with their boots that you don't need your orthotics). The guys at happy feet did not measure my feet with my orthotics, only without, so I don't understand how they are going to be able to get me the fit I need.

I called Wesco today and it seems that they fit quite a few customers that wear orthotics. They charge and additional $95 for this as a one time fee but will actually build up a stock last based on the measurements (with and without the orthotics) and build me a boot. Any severe foot deformities might require an additional charge but I don't fall into that category.

So I think it makes more sense for me to go with Wesco. Both boots are made well an made in the USA but wesco just seems to be more willing to accomodate needs. Just really need a good pair of workboots that fit and there's nothing I can buy off the rack that will work.

Will keep you posted as things progress. Thanks again for the advice.

Mike147

Sorry if this has been discussed but just wondering what color polishes have people used on theyre black cherry GT? Im thinking of using black to darken them up. But was curious to see if anyone has used any sort of brown and what the result was.