Shoes that look better with age...

mizanation

early 50's combat boots that have been re-soled i don't know how many times.

beaterboots.jpg

Those the ones I sold or another pair. They look awful familiar...more worn, but familiar.

-Jake

Got sick of my 877's, so shit got drastic:

The height was bothering me, so I took an exacto blade and lopped off two inches freehand - turned 'em into 875's.

The crepe sole wore down and wasn't working well at my job, so I had honey Vibram lugs put on.

They were a pain in the ass to lace up and down, so I had a couple speed hooks put in - plan on adding a few more soon.

Overall I'm really happy - they perform a lot better at work, feel great, and I like the looks a lot more. Many off you may be happy to see the crepe sole gone. Now they just need a good cleaning and conditioning.

s5h3cz.jpg

2qur7k3.jpg

f239xc.jpg

14wwrie.jpg

^They look good, but you should have had the cobbler finish the top edge with some leather. That would clean them up nicely.

crownzip- those combat boots are amazing!

I like the cut top. Those are some MAN soles. Everything looks good. A nice little DIY project.

Thanks almostnice and Zissou. Here's a pair of cap toe work boots from the late 30's - 40's. During the war they were issued to enlisted men as service shoes. They look pretty beat up but are holding up well after a lot of NYC street miles on them over the years. My girlfriend calls em my prison boots - when I wear them with denim she says i look like I'm an extra from Shawshank prison. I take it as a huge compliment. haha

serviceshoes-1.jpg

Iron Rangers were Red Wing catalog re-issues. Grant's got some mighty nice Service Shoes there. Similar look. but different beast.

-Jake

Hi Jake,

Back as far as the 30's Red Wing was making work boots that looked similar to service shoes. I've got a deadstock pair from the 30's that look very close to service shoes except they have RW stamped on the inside and the heel. The materials, workmenship and detail in these boots are far superior to anything Red Wing's making today.

From what I know the Iron Rangers are kinda based on a boot from the 70's. I've got a friend in construction that used to work with iron workers back in the 80's that said he remembers seeing guys wearing boots similar to current Iron Rangers.

Found these "Freeman" shoes at a local market here. I definitely overpaid for these fairly well-used, probably not-great-quality shoes (35,000UGX = US$19, though I talked the guy down from 95,000UGX), but they are insanely comfortable... honestly the most comfortable oxfords I've tried on.

They're quickly becoming my default daily kicks.

IMG_0669.JPG

IMG_0603.jpg

AND they're the same color as the dirt here, so they'll never look too dirty! Bonus!

They are probably exclusive to everywhere but the States. Just like most of the nice RW models.

I ve handled them here in Riders Room Hamburg,was the first time I saw them,thought a moment to get them as real workboots,but too pricey for that .They stock regular RWs only,so they might be exclusive to Europe and Japan.few years back RW offered a wider range in Europe than in the US,maybe thats some reason.

I'm glad to hear that. How'd everything pan out? smoothly? I'm guessing they just took off the extra leather on the sole and attached a new toe section to the same uppers? satisfied?

I guess that is what they did.

I'm totally happy with them now. Bakers came through for me and sorted it all out. I'm glad I sent them back because if I'd kept them I would have never been quite happy with them.

Now they will be my main boot over the winter months.

thanks rivet head

I wore them at work today and one of our secretaries said they were 'intimidating' haha

Got my bounty hunters back today. The saga is over.

4052916693_dd06df4bfd.jpg

4053657116_393149e769.jpg

4052917047_7225f059fe.jpg

4053657484_232fdd6c80.jpg

Dude, those things are gangsta. What are the spec's again and how much. They make me want to get some whites.

I like the lower profile of the double sole.