Shoes that look better with age...

mizanation

My 405s aren't long for this world if I don't take them out of heavy rotation soon. I will be calling Bill tomorrow to place an order for some rather standard Semi-Dress, and waiting on the perf cap-toe #8 boots from Tom. Once I have those two, they will be in a pretty serious rotation that will result in two beautifully aged pairs of boots, eventually. I'm 99% positive that I am going to go with Brown Semi-Dress Leather, Single Leather Soles, Unlined, Burnished Copper Eyelets all the way up...pretty simple and understated, but for a boot that is going to get worn hard, I can't find a better combination.

My 405s aren't long for this world if I don't take them out of heavy rotation soon. I will be calling Bill tomorrow to place an order for some rather standard Semi-Dress, and waiting on the perf cap-toe #8 boots from Tom. Once I have those two, they will be in a pretty serious rotation that will result in two beautifully aged pairs of boots, eventually. I'm 99% positive that I am going to go with Brown Semi-Dress Leather, Single Leather Soles, Unlined, Burnished Copper Eyelets all the way up...pretty simple and understated, but for a boot that is going to get worn hard, I can't find a better combination.

tmadd, make sure post pics after you get em,

btw, my shoe laces on my SD torn apart after 6 days

this may be a ridiculous/dumb question but is there anyway/anywhere in nyc to try on white's before buying them? I understand the fact that they are (mostly) custom jobs, but I'd still like to see how they mesh with my style.

If anyone is interested....

I went to Crockett and Jones today and happened to be wearing my Skyes. While talking with one of the guys in the shop, he told me they are making a new brogue boot this year which will have a more rounded last shape than the skye and is being made in a scotch grain leather like the conniston. He only had a photo of the sample but it looked very nice.

I also stopped in John Lobb bespoke. That shop is simply a must for any aged shoe enthusiast.

I'm pretty sure you are talking well over £1000 starting price, but that is fully bespoke I guess. I have no idea really. The shop is amazing, there are glass cabinets lining the walls containing antique shoes and shoemaking tools. Piles of hides and sample books and the actual work benches are in the premises, so it all happens there.

I'm pretty sure you are talking well over £1000 starting price, but that is fully bespoke I guess.

Umm... shoot higher... far higher... they start at £2360. Fantastically beautiful shoes, yes, but I'm sure one can get equally fantastically crafted bespoke shoes from other sources for about half. At that pricing, with Lobb, I'm pretty sure that one's mostly paying for the name.

wowsers that is high. I guessed it would be way over £1000. It's the name and the status I agree. Pretty much the same with Savile Row tailoring where you will pay upwards of 3-4 times other local tailor prices for the name/status/history and in the end probably superior tailoring.

I would recommend a visit to anyone in or travelling to London though.

3468330192_4dac9ddc81.jpg

camera photo of my frye sids, the color is richer in reality.

I'm happy with the way they're coming along. anyone know off hand if these are resoleable? they dont have a goodyear welt, and i'm not sure if thats a preq. for resoling.

also, for those of you who use Obenauf's LP, how often are you applying?

I've been browsing back through the thread, but I was hoping some folks could post/repost any White's Semi-Dresses in standard brown?

I'm torn between brown, distressed smooth and black - the main image on the bakershoe.com page is a horribly baby-poop brown, but other pictures I've seen show a darker (almost black) brown. Can't figure out which is the regular White's brown.

I've been browsing back through the thread, but I was hoping some folks could post/repost any White's Semi-Dresses in standard brown?

I'm torn between brown, distressed smooth and black - the main image on the bakershoe.com page is a horribly baby-poop brown, but other pictures I've seen show a darker (almost black) brown. Can't figure out which is the regular White's brown.

the semi dress brown is very dark brown. I think the pics you see on this thread represent it pretty well.

Do those 4183 go by any other name? That's exactly the kind of boot I'm looking for. Where can you buy them? The GTs are a great boot too but I'm already familiar with them.
These are the same model as the JCrew x Red Wings except that mine came from the factory "unburnished." They used to come with nylon and rawhide laces, but I don't know if they do now from J Crew.

Link:

http://www.jcrew.com/AST/Browse/MensBrowse/Men_Shop_By_Category/shoes/boots/PRDOVR~88346/88346.jsp

I wish I did...I will take extensive pics when I get the pair I just ordered which is pretty much just the most basic brown semidress but as a bounty hunter. I am excited about these.