Shoes that look better with age...

mizanation

wait wait.. same as your selling tom??

No but same leather which is the most important thing.

JCrew's has the regular 405 sole/heel and I can't tell if it's lined or not. Plus it got that stitching in the heel area.

No matter, another store ripped me off almost exactly but I guess its up to Alden to let it go anyway.

so, after about a month of going to work in my GTs, they look like this:

DSCN5904.jpg

DSCN5905.jpg

DSCN5906.jpg

mostly it's just scuffing, dirt, and a lot of walking. There's a good bit of concrete dust mixed into them as well, which is probably the most caustic thing they come into contact with. My first step was to give them a good cleaning. First round: no water, just-

DSCN5916.jpg

post scrubbing they had regained a bit of their color, but mostly had just lost a whole lot of crud:

DSCN5918.jpg

DSCN5915.jpg

since it was a HOT day I decided that if i left them out in the sun between coats I could probably get away with two coats of Obenaufs LP. The LP basically just turned them nearly black. They had very little of their original "cherry" shine to them. So next I treated them with some Dr. Marten's "Dark Cherry" color shoe polish, which is almost a perfect match to their original hue. The result:

DSCN5927.jpg

DSCN5928.jpg

DSCN5929.jpg

DSCN5930.jpg

(the color in the 1st and 3rd photos are probably the closest to truly accurate.)

edit: upon closer inspection, none of them are very close to accurate. but if you took the 1st and 3rd photos and pretend that they toe area is a bit less purple and a bit more brown, you'd be close to the truth.)

oh- I also rewaxed the laces with a mixture of Obenaufs and Bag Balm (which is wonderful stuff on your hands, boots, laces, cow udders, whatever.)

that's about it. apologies it if was too many or too few in the way of photos.

hey guys, I looked for some japan proxies but everybody seems to be down, zipangu, parachutes, cyberpunk etc...does anybody know where I can find one that's still in business?

This is the email address for sharp service, Hide is super cool and really easy to work with. just ordered from him last week so i know he is still around

[email protected]

fattybfat: I've never tried it on suede, and honestly i'm not sure it's even the best product for polished leather, but it seems to do the trick. oh- I should clarify- I don't dilute it with water, but after allowing it to dry i definitely went back and washed it off with a rag and a big bowl of warm water.

and you're right, the sides of the midsole are a bit ragged and dry, I applied just as much obenaufs to them as a i did to the uppers, so I can only hope its enough. I've used Mink Oil on midsoles of other boots and been quite pleased, but didn't happen to have any around this time.

3418414231_de83321881.jpg

mil. surplus chukkas, been wearing since November. Probably could use a shine and a reheeling, but I'm gonna wait until the end of the summer/early fall cause I won't be wearing them too much until then.

My semi-dress arrived today, after only three weeks. I'm pretty thrilled with them. However, I'd just like to know if some imperfections I've noticed matter, or if I'm just being obsessive.

First, the welt on the bottom of the sole seems seems really inconsistent. In places the thread sits on the leather sole, while in other spots it's invisible below. One of the boots, the two lines of thread seem to intersect instead of remaining a regular distance apart. I've only owned dress shoes before, so this took me by surprise.

Also, I've spotted a couple of small, circular rips in the leather around some eyelets. It's as if it took two tries to get some of the eyelets on, or that they slid a bit and tore the leather.

It's proving difficult to capture photos of these tiny, very reflective details right now.

edit: caring less and less about this. I'm not perfect, my boots don't need to be. These are great.

Hey guys, just a quick drop in to ask what sort of products you guys use on your boots?

My brother uses obenauf's, Ive seen a few people use red wings plethora of products, and I found one guy who has been using neatsfoot for a good 40 years

Any recommendations to what combination of products I should even use? Mink oil, waterproofer, etc...(Im sort of leaning away from silicone products though)

You really didn't scrimp with oil! Bear in ming that excess oiling reduces the breathability of the leather as well as it makes the leather less durable. If you apply oil you could just put some (few drops) in cotton cloth and wipe gently. Of course you will never have to do this for these shoes! :)