Shoes that look better with age...

mizanation

^^ Every time I see Russell mocs I ask myself what has kept me from ordering a pair (other than the long wait on custom ones)?

I just noticed your blog superBobo, it has been a good "kanttarelli" year this summer! I was fishing last weekend but turned out that I spent more time picking those cute yellow shrooms. I got almost a full 10 litre bucket of "kanttarelli" and "suppilovahvero" (Cantharellus tubaeformis). :)

thought it´s time to share these with you, the top pair i bought at the bay, don´t see any label, but inside you can read that they are union made, so i guess these are real 1930s shoes!?

the other pair is deadstock from the 1960s, you can see exact the same shoes, worn by the brian jones, really love em:)

dsc02436uu2.jpg

dsc02437hc3.jpg

dsc02439xh4.jpg

ps sorry Bill for half-borrowing your name. I joined ages ago and then didn;t really do anything about it for a long time. At that point I don;t think I'd read any of your (excellent) posts. I don;t look quite like that (yet, but give it time!)

No apologies needed! Especially after all those great pics... The Fosters look really impressive... And you've only had those AF53's for two weeks? What've you been doing in them!?

Bill, great Russels! Im kinda curious how you´ll wear them, since the "outdoor" vibe doesnt feel totally in line with your usual style. im sure you´ll pull it off though :)

Yeah, the russells are pretty dreamy.... They don't really work with slimmer denim because they are a big, wide shoe, are tall, and have fully gussted tongues so doing the open-floppy top unlaced high boot thing is out of the question. Today I'm wearing them with my White canvas pants and chambray....much like this old pic, but with my little stingy brim Stetson, not the engineer cap... Last night I wore them with my Bill's Khakis for a kinda/sorta New England collegate/Trad vibe...

IMG_0855.jpg

^^nice look. What chambray if I might ask? Bills khakis, and a trad-ish styling, sounds like a great match aswell. Do you wear the m1 or m2 model?

In the picture I've got on the Sunset LVC shirt from a while back.... Today, its the Buzz Rickson chambray workshirt.

^^Probably no shoe trees and worn everyday. But they look good beat up.

Fuck yeah they do..... I think they look killer like that...but then again, I thought those thrashed 15 y/o chukka's looked good too....

Something more than walking, that's for sure:

2831877077_a415e975b4.jpg

Seriously, those creases are crazy. If they were my shoes, I'd be a little freaked out!

:DI'm glad some of you like them. Actually I'm surprised how quickly the creases are coming out. I think I wear shoes pretty heavily, maybe I bend my feet a lot when I walk???

For the first week I wore them 2 or 3 times, on rotation, with trees. But this last week I'm away for work and I had to pack really light (hand luggage only), so I only have these (+flip flops) and no trees. Maybe it's a mistake, but I really like the creased up look, and I reckon 2-3 weeks of everyday wear without trees, then back to trees and rotation will give me nice creases without damaging the linings or uppers too much... here's hoping:rolleyes:

florimp.JPG

Florsheim Imperials

toe.JPG

some patina

cleats.JPG

cleats, count them their are two.

these are realy great! I love the norwegian toe what's the story with florsheim? I'd never heard of them before this thread (nor Alden, Edward Green or many others- great thread:o), and what's here has been really good. I looked them up online and what they have now is pretty ropey- $100-$200 (good) and look it (bad).

http://www.florsheim.com/shop-fl/renderImage.image?imageName=shoesmens/14018-200.jpg&width=400&height=300

my guess is they;re an old brand that was bought up and turned downwards- anyone have any info? thanks:)

thanks a lot fbf! I'm very excited about the wingtips, and I'm also waiting for #8 cordovan indys to come in to Tassels in Hong Kong (where I am now) in the next few weeks so I can try them on.

Before reading this thread I pretty much only wore Buddhahood shoes and Tretorns, which were nice, but knowledge breeds higher expectations... It's fun but expensive!

yea..before i came to superfuture, i actually know nothing about raw denim or any other high end shoe or boot (alden especially) ...really learn alot from here and met many sufu'er that share the same interest. But the cons is i have been poison by other member's goodies which is expensive.

You actually born in hong kong or just staying? that is where edmond aka demonito lives. He is one of most contributed member on this thread. Maybe u can check out take5 if you havent

dangerous isn't it? I was already pretty up on denim, but shoes are a whole new world...

I'm British, but I moved to Hong Kong for work a couple of years ago. Lived here for a year and a half, and now I'm back for a few weeks on a work trip. it's a great place, but there's nowhere like home!

I know Take5 well, and I've met Benny (the owner) a couple of times. Should get over there in this trip though- you're right.

I was thinking- Edmond if you're reading this and you don;t know it already, you should really check out tassels (www.tassels.com.hk but the site's not great) on On Lan St in Central (next door to Dmop, opposite Comme des Garcons) you have to go up in the lift to 2nd floor. They stock Edward Green and Alden, and John, the owner, is a helpful guy. Could sort you out with something special for that wedding! It;s not cheap, but they have some very nice things.

Most English sizes are sized up 1 or a half from American sizes. To insure a good fit, you have to try them on. It varies from last to last. Also most English shoes come in an E fitting as standard, but they do make narrow or wide fittings too. C&J is E fitting, and usually sized up 1 from US.

For me:

Alden: 8.5 D

C&J: 8 or 7.5 E

Most English sizes are sized up 1 or a half from American sizes. To insure a good fit, you have to try them on. It varies from last to last. Also most English shoes come in an E fitting as standard, but they do make narrow or wide fittings too. C&J is E fitting, and usually sized up 1 from US.

For me:

Alden: 8.5 D

C&J: 8 or 7.5 E

Like Coleslaw says, you really have to try them on, but if it's any help I'm:

9.5D Alden Truebalance last

10D Alden Leydon last

9 or 8.5 in Crockett & Jones

sorry if that sounds confusing- it is!

thanks guys... but i can't try them on, i've spotted a nice pair online, and i probably can kop them for cheap. so if they won't fit me, i'll just resell them on the supermarket to someone else for cheap. i guess they should fit me tho, an E-width would be great, as a D in red wing is kinda tight.

i'm ordering from pediwear so trying them on isn't really an option.

so according to you guys 7D in the alden barrie last = 6E in C&J Cardiff's?

Now, what about the fact that these are sized UK? on pediwear isn't a 6E actually an American 7?

so essentially, isn't it the same thing?

i'm ordering from pediwear so trying them on isn't really an option.

so according to you guys 7D in the alden barrie last = 6E in C&J Cardiff's?

Now, what about the fact that these are sized UK? on pediwear isn't a 6E actually an American 7?

so essentially, isn't it the same thing?

I think you're right- a UK 6 should be a US 7. I don't know about the C&J Cardiff, but the Barrie fits pretty big, so my guess would be you should go for the C&J 6.5... Can you ask Pediwear? They may know Alden sizing. Good luck!:)

New to the store, and to my feet!!

Russell's PH-2 boot.... From the Safari boot line, and very close to the NDG-Russell boot from a few seasons back.

Here's the description, lifted from Russell's site:

"Several Conversations with professional hunters at recent Safari Conventions have resulted in PH-II. This boot features all the qualities and comfort of our original PH, plus Plantation Crepe Wedge Soles for quieter stalking and green Cotton Duck Canvas with blending Chamois Leather. The green Cotton Duck does possess better water resitatance than the brown. The PH-II can be furnished with the same soles as the PH, or visa versa. Choice of other soles if desired."

My initial impressions are very positive. Leather is soft and uniformly dyed. The Green is really nice. The canvas uppers are alittle coarse right now, but I'm sure they will soften pretty quickly as I break them in. The wedge crepe sole is super comfy on concrete.... They feel like slippers or wallaby's underfoot.

photo-33.jpg

photo-34.jpg

photo-35.jpg

these are beauts Bill! I've been tempted by Russel for a while, but like superbobo said earlier, they could be difficlut to match up with jeans-based outfits... I like the way you're intending on weairing them though- suits you.

I really like the full gusset toungue, and I love the idea of a triple vamp. I'd probably go for the imperial imperiallg.gif(would you look at that I managed to post an image:cool:)

What's the build like? They look to be pretty rough and ready but very tough- sort of honest. I'd really appreciate some more closeups if you get the chance...

Good addition to whites for your shop I'd've thought.

ok guys, got this pics from the tricker factory store on ebay and it said that it is Morgano Brown Krupp/ Cordovan (Horse Leather).

So does it means morgano brown in cordovan leather? Is that the cordovan leather that we all talk about on alden? Anyone have info, please advice. Also what is 4444 last like ?

i would contact him as well as seeking other info on here.

wwkl8y.jpg

1113sqq.jpg