Shoes that look better with age...

mizanation

HJJ

The shell wouldn't tear or be destroyed, but it would definitely be harder to keep a pair of shell boots looking sharp (or more accurately, not beat up in a bad way looking) than a pair of heavy duty calfskin boots. The standard Indies aren't bad in terms of longevity as an everyday boot. I still have my pair I bought two years ago...they were my first pair of serious boots, and for a few months, I wore them nearly everyday and still have only used pecards to take care of them. In my opinion, they endure nasty damage like gouges and slashes and even large scuffs far better than shell in terms of aesthetics. The leather used on semi-dresses, which I have on my LTT smoke jumpers is far far more sturdy and will last longer and take more damage. Also, the quality of the double leather soles on a pair of semi-dresses will cause them to last longer than the soles on a stock pair of 405s. My first recommendation would be a pair of Whites, but if that aesthetic isn't compatible with your desire for an everyday pair of boots, I would highly recommend either the 405s or a plain or cap toe alden boot in calfskin, they really are capable of hard wear if you treat them with Pecards as needed. With proper maintenance your boots will hold up longer to everyday wear than your jeans.

What I mean is, will shell cordovan physically tear if I had a lot of people step on my boots?

It seems counterintuitive to buy an extremely expensive pair of shell cordovan boots just to have people step on them.

If you really imagine having your toes stepped on as part of your boot-owning experience, maybe you need to think about some steel-toed boots:

Wesco-Engineerboots-Boss-Redwood-Brown10heigh-430-brownink2.JPG

(Just an example.)

hello everyone,

i'm having a bit of a sizing dilemma regarding the Alden 405. I've been working with Bryan from Giesche shoes ( as suggested by a sufuer )and hes been a great help, but i'd like to hear what some of you guys have to say about this.

i wear an 11B in redwing 875, 10 in gentleman traveler, so i decided to order an 11B. later i was worried that i should be measured on a brannock device rather than the crazy contraption at the redwing store. so i was measured as an 10.5 C. So i called Bryan and told him. he didnt have a 10.5C but he had a 10.5 B. the wait for a 10.5 C is something like 12 weeks. so bryan sent me the 10 Bs just to try out. they were a little tight on my left big toe around the front left side area. Bryan hadn't canceled the 11B order, so I waited for those. I got those and the same problem again. So now i'm sending those back, and bryan suggested I order an 11 C, which we did. they should be here in 4 weeks. hopefully it will be the end of the ordeal. Anyone have any insight? suggestions?

hi israel-

I have those boots! I'm pretty sure they're Swedish Army (that's what I was told, and they have what looks like Swedish stamped into the sole). I bought them Army surplus in London for 35pounds unworn- total bargain.

They're great- very heavy non-oiled leather, lined at the toe and quarters, unlined calves. Steel toe cap that you can stand on. Full storm welt. Leather sole with screwed on commando 1/2 sole and heel. The buckles at the backs are to keep them snug when they;re on- you have to undo them to loosen the gussets when you pull them on. They have herringbone cotton pull tabs inside on both sides (you can see the rectangular stitch on the inside of his left leg in your picture).

Although they're very heavy, mine are surprisingly comfortable- I bought them for when I went to Russia over New Year's in 2003/4, and i wore them pretty much whenever we were outside- great on ice, and kept me warm and dry. Now I wear them as wellington boots if i'm out in mud.

I'm away from home for the next few weeks, but i'll try and take pictures when i'm back- I polished them recently and they look great.

^^Those doesnt look swedish. Most available swedish vintage army boots has an extremly square toe shape. Those are too sleek, unless they´re something very rare that im unfamiliar with.

m-59 marching boots:

05-105.jpg

to the left are the m-59 ski boots, not sure about the right ones

file.php?id=14332

older, WW2 era swedish boots:

http://www.samlarforum.nu/download/file.php?id=12928

Rodeo bill, why not post some pics? Of the marking under the sole aswell.

will do superbobo. like I said it'll have to wait a few weeks until I get back home

I could well be wrong about them being Swedish, I'm no militaria expert, but I'm pretty sure that's what I was told. Nice boots anyway.

If I can work out how to post pictures I'll put up some pics of my Alden AF53s, Poulsen Skone at Dunhill Chelsea boots and Foster & Sons oxford boots...

I really like them- I was lucky that Foster's last-maker (for bespoke) was down in the shop when I was trying them on. He let me come up into the workshop above the shop and we had a really nice chat for 1/2 an hour or so about the whole process. I can;t speak for other shoes in the shop, but the ones I have I'm pretty much 100% sure are Crocket & Jones Hand Grade.

I've since been into C&J on Jermyn St wering my Fosters, and they recognised them as C&J manufacture. C&J have a similar style in Hand Grade (although it's a derby, not an oxford, which I prefer) and the workmanship looks very similar. The Foster's toungue is unlined though, which I prefer, and they were 5pounds cheaper than C&J!

Even though these days unless you go bespoke you're basically just buying Edward Green, C&J, Grenson or Alfred Sergeant (+ I'm sure a few more which I don;t know), I like the idea of having a Foster's pair, and the service was fantastic.

Incidentally my Poulsen Skones (relatively very cheap in the Dunhill sale), also seem to be C&J handgrade. Handgrade is quite a step up in terms of elegance from the main C&J line I think- you get channeled sole welts, more stitches/inch, English calf (younger than French or German), and better finishing

Yeah I have a handgrade C&J and a regular grade, the handgrades are something special although I think C&J are generally rather good construction, compared to trickers, AS and grenson. When I was in jermyn street last I overheard the C&J chap telling an italian customer that they and EG use superior calf compared to all the others (i assume not including lobb).

At Foster, and later at C&J, I was told that the handgrade (Foster) leather is English calf, rather than the more common French or German. The difference apparently is that veal meat is classified as under a certain age in UK (can;t remember how many months) but older in Europe. As calf leather is a meat by-product, English calf is younger and more supple.

Lobb's are an interesting one...

From what I've seen/heard/read, the bespoke are absolutely up there (and their reputation can't be beat), but the ready-to-wear is a license to Hermes. I'm not that keen on the design- too slick without going all out like Berluti. I'm sure the make is excellent, but again, I prefer something slightly more robust. If you get the chance, 'From Last to First' by Brian Dobbs is a biography of John Lobb & the company and it's a good read. Out of print but you can get it on Amazon UK pretty cheap.

To be honest I'm not wild about Edward Green either- they are very very well put-together shoes (although I'm not convinced they're any better than C&J handgrade, and they're quite a bit more expensive), but I don;t like the shaping they put into their panels- especially on the boots there are sort of baroquey flourishes around the ankle. Edward Green make Graziano & Girling too, and I've noticed these details on G&G as well.

Next in line for me's a pair of Cleverley suede chukkas, which I'm really hoping will be in their 1/2 price sale in January. It's quite a wait, but they're quite a price otherwise...

Where can I find a retailer for Alden's Indy Boots in NYC besides the Alden Shop?

Much obliged.

Many, many places such as…

Tru-Form Shoes

856 Lexington Ave

New York, NY 10065

Citishoes

445 Park Avenue

New York, New York 10022

Stapleton Shoe Co

68 Trinity Place

New York, New York 10006

Moulded Shoe

10 E 39th Street

New York, New York 10016

Those are the ones I can think of off the top of my head, but its a very common dress shoe sold all over NYC.

hi guys need you guys to decide for me

c&j hallam

with dainite sole ( whats dainite ??)

c&j bedford

black shell corodvan

double leather sole

or

bedford C&j

black calf

oxford

help!!!!!!!!!