Shoes that look better with age...

mizanation

I'm fairly new to the "Shoes" business . So here's a newbie question: Would you guys advice me to go for black or brown boots for my first pair? I probably won't be able to afford a second pair within 1 year...

Some pictures to give you guys an idea of my daily steezzz:

http://i205.photobucket.com/albums/bb68/Piecr/P1010524.jpg

http://i205.photobucket.com/albums/bb68/Piecr/P1000848-1.jpg

I just want to know if either brown or black would give a better contrast...

Again, i know this is a bit of an annoying question but i would love some feedback on this matter =)

I'm fairly new to the "Shoes" business . So here's a newbie question: Would you guys advice me to go for black or brown boots for my first pair?

Again, i know this is a bit of an annoying question but i would love some feedback on this matter =)

its just personal preference.

look through this thread, see a boot that you like, google the name, if it is within your budget, get it, if it is too expensive, look for the next one...

pretty much all my non-sneaker footwear is brown, and I find that I really can't wear them with any outfit that contains more than a tiny amount of black. really limits what I can wear with them. I find black to be more versatile...

like fre$co said, though, I love my brown footwear with denim. looks awesome.

I'm fairly new to the "Shoes" business . So here's a newbie question: Would you guys advice me to go for black or brown boots for my first pair?

I think brown or black boots work equally well with blue jeans. If I were you, I'd look at my clothes and see if I had more black or brown clothing, and base your choice on that. Just my opinion, anyway...

On another note, I was in a Japanese bookshop today and came across a Japanese magazine called "The Whole U.S.A. Catalog". It had profiles of great American brands. It was mostly in alphabetical order, with the one exception of Levi's, which they placed on the very first page. On the second page was Alden:

IMG_0024.JPG

Can anyone ID those brown round-toe boots? They have white rubber soles (a la RW 875s) with "ALDEN" on the bottom. Speed hooks at the top. I'd never seen that model before, and was intrigued. Here's a shot of the magazine's cover:

IMG_0025.JPG>

Can anyone ID those brown round-toe boots? They have white rubber soles (a la RW 875s) with "ALDEN" on the bottom. Speed hooks at the top. I'd never seen that model before, and was intrigued.

They were a custom makeup for Barney's Japan.

Day one.

Frye leather is quite soft. It is nowhere near as thick or hearty as real work boots or most dress-bootmakers leather.

This is almost laughable. Frye boots still age pretty well after a lot of wear. The leather is softer, but this doesn't mean they don't age well. Really thick leather boots, imo, don't age very well, and neither do cordovan boots/shoes. Cordovan is popular because of its anti-aging qualities.

Not to mention most people on this board don't wear work boots to their full capacity so they will never be able to get great wear out of thick rugged boots, just look at all of Edmond's collection. Lot of nice boots, very little wear.

hi guys! thanks!

yes they have the 269's in them

err i think theyre bullhide not water buffalo

Waiting for mine to come in from stronghold.

No special feature, just regular brown. I did ask for the 269 too.

Can't wait to receive them, almost 2 months I placed the order.

I agree that these are wearing in nicely. Looking at the toes, I was just wondering, do you keep shoe trees in them? (Would other people here keep boots like this tree-ed?) Keep up the good work!

Most leather boots and shoes keep their looks better when treed, but in the case of White's (and work boots in general) i have to admit i really like the curled-up-toe look.

They are the only boots where i don't use trees in, it gives them a more authentic look imo.

Most leather boots and shoes keep their looks better when treed, but in the case of White's (and work boots in general) i have to admit i really like the curled-up-toe look.

They are the only boots where i don't use trees in, it gives them a more authentic look imo.

Yeah, I would have to agree that I go for the appearance of authenticity, rather than actual authenticity.

Yeah, I would have to agree that I go for the appearance of authenticity, rather than actual authenticity.

If by "the appearance of authenticity" you mean someone who rocks, say, his $250 jeans with his $250 boots (and then chats about them on an internet forum), then I think you'd be hard-pressed to find "actual authenticity" around these parts (including when you look in the mirror?). Overblown criticism of "inauthenticity" is nothing but a cheap straw man in a discussion like this one, in my opinion.