Shoes that look better with age...

mizanation

I don't know how difficult these are to obtain in black or any other colour but the Edward Green Lommond and Shannon II are supremely beautiful boots. Pictures from leathersoul

Well, with the EGs, you'd just have to do them MTO... unfortunately, the turn around tends to be around 3 months. I don't know about the Lommond, but I don't think anyone stocks the Shannon in any color. EG makes beautiful dress shoes, no doubt about it.

BTW, in case anyone is curious about it, I tore the loop on the back of my Shannon boots a while back and they fixed that and swapped out eyelets for hooks in the shaft of the boot free of charge. (And somehow it is completely unnoticeable.) I was a bit surprised by that. I suppose that is a sign of their customer service (and workmanship).

for anyone interested I just bought a pair of Aldens at the NYC Madison store this past week and they took $50 off my shell cordovan boots. I think the discount would be $30 for calf. I have no idea if they ship or anything but the service was SUPER so if you intend to buy any brand new Aldens at this moment I would try calling them and seeing if they have what you need.

would you guys approve something like this be worn with a single button black tie affair?

What's a single-button black tie affair?

Is that a tux?

Is your suit/tux black?

Under either of these scenarios, you should not really wear cordovan, double sole, or even a blucher, which each of these are. It's like a triple-negative. You could still probably get away with it, but you are asking what is appropriate, and none of these are.

You should wear a black leather closed-lace (oxford) shoe. If you are trying to buy something which you can use often in the future, a plain black captoe oxford (not a blucher) will serve you well. You can probably also do a punch cap, or a wingtip. But still black, still oxford.

If by single button black tie you mean a moddy slim trend suit, then you could probably wear whatever you want. Still, sleek dress shoes are gonna work better than bomb-proof cordovan boots.

You should wear a black leather closed-lace (oxford) shoe. If you are trying to buy something which you can use often in the future, a plain black captoe oxford (not a blucher) will serve you well. You can probably also do a punch cap, or a wingtip. But still black, still oxford.

I think this is absolutely the textbook-correct answer. But for me, the practical answer is that the shoes should just be shiny and all-black. Anything beyond that is a question of knowing your personal style and staying true to that style. Better to have your clothes and shoes satisfy your taste than trying to force the "right" shoes to coordinate with your clothes. If someone has classy taste in clothes, they'll wind up with classy shoes; and if they're wearing an ugly suit/tux, good shoes won't save them anyway!

Well, with the EGs, you'd just have to do them MTO... unfortunately, the turn around tends to be around 3 months. I don't know about the Lommond, but I don't think anyone stocks the Shannon in any color. EG makes beautiful dress shoes, no doubt about it.

I have Eddie's size in stock for the Shannon in Black...:cool:

Ed, just suck it up and buy one pair of black DRESS shoes. Buy calf since it would be slightly cheaper. Even if you use them 5 times in your life, it's probably worth it to have in your closet.

hey tom any word of comfirmation on my 11E ultimate indies yet?

and yeah ed, buy dress shoes, everyone should own some...

serviceshoes.jpg

damn those are so nice! :eek:

8111.jpg

I guess these'll be a quite good alternative and alot easier to get?

hey tom any word of comfirmation on my 11E ultimate indies yet?

and yeah ed, buy dress shoes, everyone should own some...

Tiro, nothing has changed from the last few times you asked...they are confirmed and I am still expecting them in November/December.

Tiro, nothing has changed from the last few times you asked...they are confirmed and I am still expecting them in November/December.

ah ok, thanks Tom, I didn't know they were confirmed, my bad!

I have Eddie's size in stock for the Shannon in Black...:cool:

Ed, just suck it up and buy one pair of black DRESS shoes. Buy calf since it would be slightly cheaper. Even if you use them 5 times in your life, it's probably worth it to have in your closet.

Dang... I'd say that's a sign to Ed to just go and buy a pair of Shannons... they're pretty close to the ultimate dress shoe/boot one could have. And yes, I think that one should absolutely own a pair of dress shoes in calf. They shine up more appropriately anyways. I love the way cordovan looks for everyday wear, but they can't be mirror shined like calf can.

Dang... I'd say that's a sign to Ed to just go and buy a pair of Shannons... they're pretty close to the ultimate dress shoe/boot one could have. And yes, I think that one should absolutely own a pair of dress shoes in calf. They shine up more appropriately anyways. I love the way cordovan looks for everyday wear, but they can't be mirror shined like calf can.

i beg to differ, when properly polished, I believe cordovan can look just as if not more shiny than calfskin. just my experience

So i've sent my RM williams in to be resoled (the welted sole in like 7 months developed a gaping wound somehow :() So now i'm replacing it with a brass screwed sole like on my RM bushmans. It's been in for 3 weeks now which is crazy since I actually live in Adelaide were they are made. I hope they are done soon bushman are neat and all but not as comfy as my craftsman thanks to the Cuban heel.

But i'll have some pics up of the job once i get them back!

My LeatherSoul #8 Plaza captoe dress boot showed up today as well... I'll try to take some pictures tonight or tomorrow. I probably won't be wearing them like Leonard Leroy though... but I'm much more conservative / traditional...