Shoes that look better with age...

mizanation

Does #8 cordovan turn into a brown color over time? All the picture of new shoes or boots in #8 look dark maroon and almost purple. Am I missing something?

Tom would probably know better than I do, but this is my theory...

I think it has to do with losing some of the vibrancy due to sun exposure/bleaching. I'm not sure that the color change is necessarily entirely predictable. I'm guessing it may have to do with the frequency of applying polish. With shell, application of polish should be done extremely sparingly. Without consistent application of polish and the dyes the polishes contain, it seems like it tends back towards the light brown color the material has naturally. I think when the shoes go back to Alden for refurbishing, they can bring back the original color, but I think quite a few people elect to tell them to not change the color.

My mistake...it was familyman. These things are ridiculous and make me want to sell all of my shoes and just rotate two or three pairs of #8 boots for anything and everything I do.

No offense to the owner (familyman?) but I think those chukkas look horrible. Not my cup of tea. Sorry! :o Don't hate me!

Tom would probably know better than I do, but this is my theory...

I think it has to do with losing some of the vibrancy due to sun exposure/bleaching. I'm not sure that the color change is necessarily entirely predictable. I'm guessing it may have to do with the frequency of applying polish. With shell, application of polish should be done extremely sparingly. Without consistent application of polish and the dyes the polishes contain, it seems like it tends back towards the light brown color the material has naturally. I think when the shoes go back to Alden for refurbishing, they can bring back the original color, but I think quite a few people elect to tell them to not change the color.

Considering those stitches on the moc toe area are all white, I'm assuming the owner never polished them with a dark wax. So, the new and improved crazy vintage brown color is just due to fading from the sun.

I have a pair of split toes that are about 6 years old or so that are all faded like that too. I'll take a picture soon.

No offense to the owner (familyman?) but I think those chukkas look horrible. Not my cup of tea. Sorry! :o Don't hate me!

Haha... I'm in agreement with you there. Sorry familyman. I'm not sure what happened to them, but they just look like they got seriously beat up. I guess hiking / camping would do that to a boot. It doesn't have that patina like the LHS I posted has and looks like they'd return to a fantastic shine up if they were just buffed really well. On the other hand, the chukka boots look pretty good considering they look like they were abused heavily for 15 years.

It's called The Poop Effect

Here's a pair which are probably older but has less pronouced Feces Wrinkulz

dsc04836.jpg

New Alden boots! I had no intention of buying any wingtip boots anytime soon, but I wasn't going to pass on a pair in soft calf leather on the flex welt. Alden's shoes on the flex welt have become my favorite for casual wear, as the leather takes on a nice grain effect and they're pretty comfortable to boot.

alden_flex_wingtip_boots_1-.jpg

alden_flex_wingtip_boots_2-.jpg

Can anyone point me at a website that sells Buzz Rickson boots and ships to the UK? I really want to get a pair of these http://www.willywilly.jp/SHOP/BR01423-138.html

Thanks for any help

Not sure what rakuten stores ship overseas or accept foreign credit cards these days. I've been having trouble with a couple of stores. You could always use a proxy if you can't find one. There are several, search for Japan proxy services in the forum search.

Can anyone point me at a website that sells Buzz Rickson boots and ships to the UK? I really want to get a pair of these http://www.willywilly.jp/SHOP/BR01423-138.html

Thanks for any help

http://item.rakuten.co.jp/hinoya/br01423/

He will ship overseas but no foreign credit card. The only options are Paypal or Bank transfer.

Send an E-mail to Takuya-san at [email protected]

cheers

hinoya replied to your email?

Yes sir. They might try to expand their business.

He explained me that because of a change in the Rakuten process, foreign card can't be charged anymore, so they ended up opening a paypal account.

Very good thing.

Thanks for the help folks, I found a proxy but they want 30% which seems steep to me. I thought Supawiwi cracked it but hinoya doesn't have size US9.5 which is what I need.

All sugestions gratefully received, I'm set on these boots!

Sorry to hear that.

try our friendly proxy, zipangu treasures.

If you don't mind paying +15% he will find those for you and in your size.

Yes sir. They might try to expand their business.

He explained me that because of a change in the Rakuten process, foreign card can't be charged anymore, so they ended up opening a paypal account.

Very good thing.

Wait, is Hinoya going to ship to the states now? This paypal update is awesome. Time to go shopping.

Wait, is Hinoya going to ship to the states now? This paypal update is awesome. Time to go shopping.

Yes, I might be one of the first using it. I used it yesterday and they're shiping to France so they must ship to the US

I don't know if this goes for all rakuten stores that ship overseas and used to accept foreign cards but rebirth rejected my card then emailed to say they could only accept foreign cards if they are american express.

I went to see the redwing iron rangers last night, they are really damn nice but the stockist did not have any of the amber colour which is by far the best.

Also, I was talking to the guy in the store (Matt, The three Threads, London) and the conversation got round to White's boots which I happened to be wearing. He said his buddy in New York had sent him some pictures of White's boots...... was this one of you guys????