Shoes that look better with age...

mizanation

Would I be a fool for passing up Grenson "Kent" shoes for $150? (click pic to go to Grenson's site)

enlargeaspxfiled4793f06fg4.jpg

If anyone wants, I can proxy these from a local brick&mortar. They only have this dark brown color, and limited sizes. I would charge $150 + $25 + tax + shipping (so probably about $190 shipped in the States... compared to around 210GBP + shipping online). PM me with size if interested (I'm a size 8.5 in converse chuck taylors, size 9 in these Grensons).

**I would need to know pretty immediately, since I'm only going to be here for another day or two, and they're probably selling as I type.

Just arrived in the mail! They are vintage monkey boots of some undisclosed origins....I'm hoping some of the boot intelligencia or military heads can shed some light on what they are.... Inside the tongue of the right boot is a black label with red block text that reads "RANGER HEAVY DUTY SHOES".... A google search only revealed WWII jump style boots with the same label.

They feel to me to be black horsehide. Leather is still very supple and I do plan on wearing these! The soles are double leather, stitched, pegged, and nailed. The Heel is all leather with exposed nail heads and a logger style profile. The fact that the soles and heels are all leather lead me to think they are 1960's at the newest, but are most likely 50's era?? I've even had a tough time finding info on the origional monkey boots....

photo-25.jpg

photo-26.jpg

photo-27.jpg

Whoever put those honey vibrams on that boot should be shot.....take those shits off, along with the weird tan colored fake leather heel stack.....replace it all with nicely stained leather and half soles and those would be pretty cool looking....until that happens though.... not so much

Wow Bill...those are great, your boot collection must be getting pretty insane.

No offense to the owner (familyman?) but I think those chukkas look horrible. Not my cup of tea. Sorry! :o Don't hate me!

No offense taken, not my boots. :)

Those aren't necessarily meant to show an ideal of what cordovan can age too, but rather to show what they can turn out like if one wears them hard for a very long time. Different than cow to be sure.

I recently picked up these Alden 901s off eBay for about $50:

DSC_0001.JPG

DSC_0004_2.JPG

DSC_0005.JPG

DSC_0008.JPG

They've clearly been (not extremely skillfully) resoled in the past, and there are a few serious scuffs besides the general wear. The photos are a bit more flattering than reality. I'm thinking about trying Alden's restoration service ($135) on these. If anyone's had experience (that they haven't described here already) with Alden recrafting, I'd be glad to hear your thoughts.

i really like those, but i HATE the fact fucking 99% of the 'hipster' crowd in A'dam seems to own a pair. i especially hate the ripoffs.

Yes, I know.....but fuck'em....They will run to another 'must-have' boot this winter anyways....

Just got these....

122271976_5_MYke.jpeg

It might be just me, but I think the soles on these and a lot of red wings are horrible looking. No offense, the rest of the boot is beautiful.

I recently picked up these Alden 901s off eBay for about $50:

DSC_0005.JPG

They've clearly been (not extremely skillfully) resoled in the past, and there are a few serious scuffs besides the general wear. The photos are a bit more flattering than reality. I'm thinking about trying Alden's restoration service ($135) on these. If anyone's had experience (that they haven't described here already) with Alden recrafting, I'd be glad to hear your thoughts.

1ghzm1.jpg

your alden and my looks very similar, doesnt it? I think it would be a great idea to send it back for the service, when they would put in a new sole and recraft and clean it for you.

I recently picked up these Alden 901s off eBay for about $50

they are nice but it doesn't make much financial sense to restore them through Alden. You would have spent $185-200 before even wearing them. You can get barely worn or new aldens for that much.

this guy took weeks to sell his:

http://www.styleforum.net/showthread.php?t=73592

they are nice but it doesn't make much financial sense to restore them through Alden. You would have spent $185-200 before even wearing them. You can get barely worn or new aldens for that much.

this guy took weeks to sell his:

http://www.styleforum.net/showthread.php?t=73592

I saw those Alden/BB shoes for sale at the other SF and almost got them, but they weren't quite the right size! I think you have a point in that using the Alden service would negate the good price I got them for. They'd end up in a similar condition to those Alden/BBs; but, I think the recrafted shoes would have more character, since they do "look better with age". And it's true that I'd eventually have to pay $100 to get them resoled at some point down the line. Plus, it'd be nice to have a new box, new bags, and new trees. Thanks for your input -- I'll need to think a bit more about it!

Your cap toes do look very similar, fattybfat! The cap on yours seems a bit longer, which gives it a slightly more sleek look, I think. How do you feel about the flat laces in the blind eyelets -- did they come with those, or did you add them yourself?

It might be just me, but I think the soles on these and a lot of red wings are horrible looking. No offense, the rest of the boot is beautiful.

Yes, the soles need some time getting used to. But I think when these are pretty worn they look much better and less dominant.

I bought my last pair of Red Wings mostly due to the crepe sole. I like the look on the right boot. It's a matter of taste I suppose. I grew up with my father wearing similar boots and seeing farmers and construction workers often wearing crepe soles. I always thought they looked cool when worn in.

I saw those Alden/BB shoes for sale at the other SF and almost got them, but they weren't quite the right size! I think you have a point in that using the Alden service would negate the good price I got them for. They'd end up in a similar condition to those Alden/BBs; but, I think the recrafted shoes would have more character, since they do "look better with age". And it's true that I'd eventually have to pay $100 to get them resoled at some point down the line. Plus, it'd be nice to have a new box, new bags, and new trees. Thanks for your input -- I'll need to think a bit more about it!

Your cap toes do look very similar, fattybfat! The cap on yours seems a bit longer, which gives it a slightly more sleek look, I think. How do you feel about the flat laces in the blind eyelets -- did they come with those, or did you add them yourself?

the flat laces came with the shoe

Black Indy boots are in! The NYC Alden store:

344 Madison Ave

New York, NY 10017

(212) 687-3023

They called me Thursday and I went to the store yesterday. The black boots are just like the brick-colored model, just black. Lining, welt, last, stitching, sole are all the same. Even the degree of matte vs gloss is the same. Just black. I'm tempted!!!!! They've got a 8.5EEE on hold for me, I was in a super hurry yesterday so I couldn't try and buy. Good luck!

^^^ I know what you mean. It also means more jeans too.

I was also tempted to get a pair of the black Indy's, just because they did it right. However, I just peeked into the store. If I'm sitting down and trying them, I'm buying them. But instead I was more tempted by these:

C&J Gerrard 2

cj3.jpg

cj4.jpg

cj2.jpg

cj1.jpg

My shoe cleaning stash

shoestash.jpg

I also ordered a pair of C&J Skye's. After drooling at them for over a year, I decided to finally cop a pair. Pics coming soon.

Also noticed in the new Wesco catalog, you can order a more variety of soles, including the very rare in the States, Vibram #705 half sole.

wescosole.jpg