Shoes that look better with age...

mizanation

haha...so does Free and Easy magazine...I swear it says "we respect RRL" or "we repect ralph lauren" at least 5 times in each copy of the magazine. that magazine needs to move past the RRL worship before it becomes a $15 monthly RRL catalog.

Free & Easy Magazine... got a link?

just picked these up. have wanted a pair of these since my girlfriend bought hers a couple months back...

60's Gokey Boots. Made long before Orvis came in and reworked the boot for mass production.

check out http://www.bigfoottrail.com/highland.html for the last of the remaining Gokey trained bootmakers who are still making the original Gokey boot but under their own name.

Those highland 9" look really great....but $2150....:eek:

highlandog9.jpg

Free & Easy Magazine... got a link?

yes!

this is a great magazine and an awesome issue. i would think you'll still get a lot out just by checking out numbers and numbers of photos in there without knowing japanese. but i've been reading this for a while now and there are so many interesting little stories in there, mostly about men's passion towards boots.

Those vibram soles give the indy's a whole other look...Makes them less "classic".

I'm sure those must be very comfortable!!

So Chicken how do you like the Indies w/ Vibram? It is the perfect color! They look so different it almost seems like another boot - like you need another pair of Indies with the regular sole!

i'm liking them a lot, even though i admit i do miss a little bit of the dressiness of the original soles right now. but my indys are much lighter in weight now and a lot easier to move around in. for my taste, my vibrams are looking "too new" but i think it's just a matter of time until i'll break into them. i'm glad i went with the honey color instead of black, because i feel like it makes them a little less work bootsy.

this is a kind of an experiment for me, so i'm looking forward to see how they turn out. but funny about using this as an excuse to get another pair of indys. perhaps in #8 cordo? :D

Those highland 9" look really great....but $2150....:eek:

highlandog9.jpg

Could anyone tell me what's so bad about the Orvis Gokeys? Apart from the fact that they're about 1/8 the price of these ones.

Kind of reminds me of my Russel Moc boots that I ordered back in March. Got another 3 months to go before they get here...

i don't think it's a matter of being bad boots they are just not made using the same production methods or by any of the original gokey apprenticed bootmakers. you know how it goes when a small company is bought up by a corporate...the product usually goes into higher production and with higher production comes cost cutting to increase profit and that leaves some people usually fans of the original with bitter feelings for the new product.

i found this article

http://www.pennswoods.net/~tomdewey/fishing/Requiem.html

and another awhile back that told about all the differences in production between the orvis made and the original gokeys...however i'm having a hard time relocating it but i will post if i can find.

Could anyone tell me what's so bad about the Orvis Gokeys? Apart from the fact that they're about 1/8 the price of these ones.

Kind of reminds me of my Russel Moc boots that I ordered back in March. Got another 3 months to go before they get here...

damn, greg, didn't know you were into track bikes. that site is great, i've perused it before. in japan, they bike everywhere and track bikes are supposedly very popular now in tokyo (although i saw mostly the usual bike with the basket). people don't lock their bikes in japan, cuz no one steals them. however, last time i went, a cop was stopping all the bikers on a street cuz he was looking for a bike thief. maybe bike crime is on the rise...

wearing my frye engineers today and i can tell they are going to look great in a few months/years...

they stop people to see if the bike is registered or stolen.

it's funny, a bunch of us on this thread all wear the same size. chicken, you, coleslawyum and myself all wear 8.5 in alden. i prefer a width of E.

i believe your indy's are 8.5 E's right? :)

Miz, Chicken, et al. Do you mind you I ask you what your foot dimensions are? I'm thinking of getting a pair of Aldens, but there aren't any stores in Australia, and the staff at the Alden online store have been pretty unhelpful. I wear a size 8 in RMW, Blundstone and (Aussie) John Bull. If the international boot sizing chart states that boot sizes are a half bigger in the US (1 size bigger for sneakers), I should be a 8.5 just like you guys. How does your feet compare? My feet are 10 2/8inch long and 41/8inch wide.

Like LeicaLad, I too have been checking out posts over at SF and happened across these beauties

p1010003kg5.jpg

C&J Villiers from their Hand Grade collection. It's on the 337 last listed at GBP345 which is very reasonable, especially considering the EG Galway or Shannon would be perhaps upwards of £200 more.

Here's the original thread http://www.styleforum.net/showthread.php?t=22808&highlight=EG+shannon. Hope the OP won't mind the re-post here.

Miz, Chicken, et al. Do you mind you I ask you what your foot dimensions are? I'm thinking of getting a pair of Aldens, but there aren't any stores in Australia, and the staff at the Alden online store have been pretty unhelpful. I wear a size 8 in RMW, Blundstone and (Aussie) John Bull. If the international boot sizing chart states that boot sizes are a half bigger in the US (1 size bigger for sneakers), I should be a 8.5 just like you guys. How does your feet compare? My feet are 10 2/8inch long and 41/8inch wide.

funny, i just measured my left food and it's about 10 1/4" long and 4" wide. i guess we're just about the same. my indys are 8.5d, but i could've probably gone with a 8.5e if my ankles weren't so thin.

welcome to the 8.5 club. :D

Like LeicaLad, I too have been checking out posts over at SF and happened across these beauties

p1010003kg5.jpg

C&J Villiers from their Hand Grade collection.

I've got some on order and they should be in within the week. he 337 last fits me amazingly enough!

Miz - the Alden EEE is too wide for me too, but E is a tiny narrow. They can't do a EE unless the store orders 12 or more pairs!

that guy is so awesome. i wish he would visit us. have you emailed him before, chicken?

i tried emailing him before, but i never got any response from him. :(

i wonder if i need to show him a killer pair of denim to him or something before he deems me email-worthy.

damn I feel left out of the 8.5 club. I'm probably the only member of the 7 club! my girlfriend loves the fact that she can rock my kicks. -(bowing my head in shame:mad:)

on the positive side of things I can go to the kids section and buy jordans that are sold out in normal men sizes....

Found these weird Levis boots http://cgi.ebay.com/Vintage-Levis-brown-leather-ankle-boots-7-5_W0QQitemZ260109270966QQihZ016QQcategoryZ48862QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

Not very pretty, but intresting patina. Anyone can guess a year for these? Are there alot of Levis boots on the US market? There´s some current canvas shoes on the european market, but these seems more aimed towards workers.