Shoes that look better with age...

mizanation

new shoes! or at least new to me. 1950's Bob Smart Longwings. In a width bigger than my Florsheims so, I'll probably be wearing these instead.

DSC00012.JPG

DSC00014.JPG

DSC00015.JPG

DSC00022.JPG

It is a bit of a hassle Megatron but I purchased some Vibram Cristy soles of eBay and then took them and the boots to the cobbler.

I found out that it would have been cheaper to just do it all through them but I never looked into it. But in your case it could be a viable option.

new shoes! or at least new to me. 1950's Bob Smart Longwings. In a width bigger than my Florsheims so, I'll probably be wearing these instead.

I really like these, good call!

I need a waterproof (as possible), decent grip, walking boot for winter possibly snow conditions, any recommendations? My Goretex lined Abingtons did a great job last winter, but I have tried in vane to find someone to resole them. Short of buying a new pair of them, any other boots that I should consider?

I generally have to walk about 4 - 5 miles per day in them when we get bad snow.

Might be worth contacting R.J.&S. Parkhouse down Exeter way, as they have a number of Vibram soles listed as available options. They're closed till Thursday though - I tried calling today with a view to getting a Ridgeway sole put on a pair of veldtschoen boots.

Otherwise, you'll find veldtschoen boots to be as waterproof as you can get without resorting to a rubber welly. C&J's Snowdon would be a great option if money's not an issue, otherwise the Cheaney Pennine is a well-made boot, and Alfred Sargent's now-discontinued Kelso can be found in limited sizes at reduced prices at a number of online outlets - and they're easily as sturdy a boot as you'll find elsewhere, and will age well. All of the above have Itside commando soles.

No, they're a thick, white, Vibram wedge.

62f0b640.jpg

Did a search for you; have you looked at Feet First in Chesterfield? They do sports shoes incl. cycling and skating as well as hiking/sport cas./approach/boots so that seems like a great viable option as far as stock.

I have a hard time believing that sole is that worn after one winter--snow and cold don't wear shoes too fast. Plus that sole is thick.

Is the tread just gone? Maybe just have your cobbler cut a new tread in the current sole; I've had this done on boots with a hard vibram sole for durability and for a bit of traction in variable weather and terrains.

zakurie- those look great, is that the regular or swing last? Love the new color and the medallion toe cap (though that seems to be a bit of a misnomer as it isn't really a medallion at all....but looks great)

l1mab3an- those look great, I love a suede boot for fall.

Thanks for all the help on the previous page with my Abington issue, virtually the entire tread has worn down, along with part of the sole as I wore them all day, every day for about 6 months, on all terrains and in all weathers. They have been hiking, climbing, pounding the pavements of NYC and London, walked miles in very heavy snow and have never been anything less than really comfortable. I cannot recommend these boots enough.

I did try the company in Chesterfield, but they were not able to help unfortunately. I'm going to give the guys who CTB mentioned a go, they look a bit more hopeful, as I really want to keep the original aesthetic.

that perforated toe cap really sets those off....makes me want to order another pair of White's asap.

Loving the brogueing on the cap toe as well. As you said, it's not exactly a medallion...but I certainly prefer it over a medallion!

They are on the standard last - also have the standard heel, single leather sole and antique eyes and hooks.

Another side profile:

6098594168_e988807934_z.jpg

Just out of curiousity, how long have you had these? I didn't know that Whites offered this as an option until Kyle mentioned they'd be available soon. Either way...they look GREAT!

^milosz - in my opinion, I wouldn't bother with wasting the $100. I had custom White's SD's in a size 8D and they fit perfect. I ordered a pair of pre-owned Wesco Boss' in an 8D and they fit exactly the same.

Hope this helps.

Cheers!

What's more, it's a good opportunity to throw off the sizing if something goes wrong. I've learned I have a strangely shaped heel (or back of foot above this) that made my footprint appear to be 9.5EE instead of the 9EE they really are.

(I'll be looking to pass my bosses on in the near future, if anybody in 9.5EE is looking for a pair)

Do you have pictures of those? I'd be interested if they fit the bill.

Shot with a crummy phone camera, so they're a bit washed out:

2zolvn7.jpg

332vtzd.jpg

Brown #700 sole, MP toe, brass roller buckles (not nickle, as they may seem in the pictures). Worn indoors while I mulled over the fit. There was the temptation to just go on wearing them with extra socks, but that seems impractical for boots you'll have forever. I really like them, so the decision was difficult.

Just had to say, the MOTO boots look fantastic. Are they worth the money?

Also, having a look at the website, those are the Desert Boot long, not Monkey? Is that right?

Nice catch. They are indeed the Dessert Boot long. My mind is suffering from a lack of sleep.

I believe that are worth the money, albeit the exchange rate is making them ever more expensive. The craftsmanship is wonderful, leathers are quite nice and they fit me perfectly. I'm buying another pair in a few weeks.

Was interested in getting a pair of Chippewa engineers reworked by Takeshi-San. Can anyone comment on which pair to order?

Coleslawyum is probably the guy to ask, as he is the only one that I know of on here that has had this done. He has three pair I think. They all look great. I have had the Chippewa 27899 for a few months and plan on getting them resoled by either Takeshi-San or Zip @ Hollywood trading Co. I was quoted $175-200 on a resoled engineer boot with deadstock Cat's paws or biltrites. If you are looking for something without a steel toe, the 97863 might be a good option. The reason I didn't get these is because they only come in all black and I didn't want to wear an all black boot for a year + until I wore out the sole.