Shoes that look better with age...

mizanation

I definitely like #8 the best. It is also the most easily to coordinate with my clothes.

I have to argue that the Cigar is still the best color among the Horween Shell Cordovan, but I agree that Color #8 is the most versatile

Wolverine 1000 Miles Addison

March 2011

20110320-IMG_0441.jpg

Today

20110805-IMG_1079.jpg

WTF is up with the shoemart Alden 2nds list? I learned long ago that signing up via email is useless. If you call, they happily add you to the list. However, I usually get a single email, maybe 2-3 at the most then it stops. I call back a month later and start the process again. Is there a way to get on that list and remain on it?

I think they only send them out like once every two months or so, at least that is about how frequent I get them.

I have to argue that the Cigar is still the best color among the Horween Shell Cordovan, but I agree that Color #8 is the most versatile

Wolverine 1000 Miles Addison

March 2011

20110320-IMG_0441.jpg

Today

20110805-IMG_1079.jpg

They've really shrunk!

Shame to have to do this but I am selling my Alden for Leathersoul Indys in Tan Suede Size 10 D. Wore them for the second time today and they started off fine but after 3 or 4 hours of being on my feet they were killing me. I had to take them off mid day and put on a pair of canvas sneakers. If anyone is interested send me a pm before I make the thread tomorrow.

picsay-1310941385.jpg

Shoes that look better dyed a different colour?

Before: Cheaney 'Neath', with stained toecaps. Pics taken after deglazing the shoes with acetone and getting off as much of the stain as possible...

scaled.php?server=535&filename=dscf3019r.jpg&res=medium

scaled.php?server=88&filename=dscf3017z.jpg&res=medium

After: two coats of dye applied, and a coat of neatsfoot and a new finish added to the shoes...the vibrancy of the colour surprised me, and I'm pretty happy with these for a first effort...you can see a little of the stainage under the red, if you look for it.

scaled.php?server=221&filename=dscf3021w.jpg&res=medium

scaled.php?server=801&filename=dscf3020s.jpg&res=medium

I'd used leather paint on trainers before, but this is a different kettle of fish - the dye is absorbed into the leather surprisingly quickly, and is very 'liquid' meaning that you need one hand to apply the dye and the other to wipe the excess away almost straight after application to avoid drippage. The leather will age normally, with no risk of the colour cracking or flaking off.

Pretty hair-raising at first, but definitely something I'd do again.

wow those look fantastic, unfortunately i have to spread for you.. how did you find out about dyeing the leather? did you have external resources or were you just finding a product off the shelf and experimenting on it by yourself? i have to say that the end result is great and definitely looks very good.

Glad you all like :D

wow those look fantastic, unfortunately i have to spread for you.. how did you find out about dyeing the leather? did you have external resources or were you just finding a product off the shelf and experimenting on it by yourself? i have to say that the end result is great and definitely looks very good.

I read and watched as much online as I could, and then just got cracking. The deglazing took a couple of hours in the week, and then the dyeing and finishing took around three hours last night, including waiting time for drying etc.

As per mikecch's advice, and also online advice, the deglazing is the key part as if you can't get the finish off then the dye won't absorb properly. I know now to use more than just a cloth to do this, a sponge and paintbrush (or cotton bud) are also needed.

I used Angelus leather dye as I'd used their leather paints before and have read good stuff about their dyes. Didn't bother with a 'proper' deglazer, and instead used acetone sourced from the local pharmacy.

The finisher was again by Angelus, I chose a 'satin' finish which came out glossier than I was expecting. Still, I can always remove this and apply a more matte finish if I start feeling a little too much like Dorothy...

I'm really happy with the way that they came out, as I'd half-resigned myself to the thought of ruining them...but the original stains were too noticeable to leave as-is...

i'm going to need to resole my lotus before the winter, so i went to consult the local cobbler (my dad gets his AS resoled there, so i know he can deal with them).

I've got three options: full sole at £60, half sole at £30 and commando at £50.

any opinions on the full/half sole options? does having a half sole done compromise the waterproofing or owt?

also, how would a pair of lotus shoes look with a commando? too chunky, or ok?

killer b, if i may offer my humble opinion, i feel that the commando sole will be the best option for you since i assume your intention will be for it to be used during the winter. the traction offered from the commando soles will be best suited for your winter needs and in my opinion they will not look too chunky i suppose. what i have in mind at the moment is the look of those somewhat similar to the tricker's keswick or a woodstock with the commandos, that is assuming that i have the correct picture in mind of how your lotus shoes look like..

i'm going to need to resole my lotus before the winter, so i went to consult the local cobbler (my dad gets his AS resoled there, so i know he can deal with them).

I've got three options: full sole at £60, half sole at £30 and commando at £50.

any opinions on the full/half sole options? does having a half sole done compromise the waterproofing or owt?

also, how would a pair of lotus shoes look with a commando? too chunky, or ok?

The Cheaneys I posted on the other page have a commando sole, and I don't think the profile suffers as a result of it - veldtschoen shoes and boots are generally going to be relatively clunky due to the construction method and materials:

scaled.php?server=801&filename=dscf3020s.jpg&res=medium

The Lotus boots I own (the first pair) were resoled with a victory sole and they're pretty sleek, although Lotus's boots seem to be lasted on a different shape to the shoes, and have a slightly more fitted profile, anyway:

scaled.php?server=840&filename=imag0058l.jpg&res=medium

The ridgeway sole would be the best option for winter out of the lot, as it slips less than commando, studded dainite or victory but it's relatively clunky, seen below:

scaled.php?server=842&filename=imag0322w.jpg&res=medium

scaled.php?server=18&filename=imag0325t.jpg&res=medium

CTB, when will you start taking order? Is patina service offered too?

Great job on rejuvenating the shoes.

Thanks...I'm going to find some old pairs of shoes to work on and see what else I can do, maybe start experimenting with different dyes, techiniques and polishes...watch this space!

I been meaning to ask this for the past few months...

Why is there no love here for White's smoke jumpers? I honestly don't think I've seen one posted on here.

Where's the love, lol?

Why is there no love here for White's smoke jumpers? I honestly don't think I've seen one posted on here.

Morse has a pair of Smoke Jumpers and he's posted dozens of pictures of them (including waywt). I'm sure other members have some too... I've seen them but don't recall who.

Both davichan and I have Bounty Hunters, which are essentially Smoke Jumpers on a Semi-Dress last.

IIRC Kiya has a pair and they get love whenever he posts a fit with them.

I'm pretty sure you're thinking of his Vibergs. I do not recall him posting any pictures of White's.

Gave my new Semi Dress's a polish... thought I'd show a before and after.... amazing what a cleaning and polish can do to a pair of boots...

DSC09247-1.jpg

DSC09248-1.jpg

DSC09249-1.jpg