Shoes that look better with age...

mizanation

Not buying the answer.

To answer your question...don't think it dawned on any of the superfriends here...including you....

so why did it take you 4 or 5 years? you've been here since 2006 - never noticed did you? well i did.

time for some new shit. this is 2011 -yall been slackin.

Not buying the answer.

To answer your question...don't think it dawned on any of the superfriends here...including you....

so why did it take you 4 or 5 years? you've been here since 2006 - never noticed did you? well i did.

shut up. nao

why is this thread in "superdenim"?

Maybe reaching here, but I would go so far as to claim that our interests in denim reflects something that has become more of a lifestyle based in certain aesthetics...Workwear, Military wear, and even boots/shoes are all items of clothing that can be traditionally associated with denim and by extension demonstrate qualities that relate to what we find so beautiful about denim ie: aging, patina, heritage, quality etc. the list goes on. This is why I believe that the superdenim forum, while mainly focusing on jeans, has come to encompass many articles of clothing, like "Shoes.." thread.

Random thought but sometimes I wonder why the "Evolution of Leather Goods" thread isn't in superdenim...

Not buying the answer.

Hey, I have an idea. Keep your trap shut.

I actually look forward to my feet being brutalised by my new Red Wings. I enjoy pain, and I enjoy struggle. It'll be a cakewalk for me. This way, after all the hurt, I'll adore my boots even more.

....I don't think you want to know what that's really saying.

Just means he's not a fan of third world exploitation or genocide.

SwedeAlex - your recommendation last week is why I got these.

Great! Enhoy them and wear them hard. It´s such a great looking boot in every way. From the aestetic to the construcion and how they feel!

I have a couple pairs of boots that are nearing 1.5 years of wear. What are the signs that they need a resole? I've been trying to wait for my group buy engineers before sending anything off, but I don't want to be ruin what I've got now in the process. Thanks for any help, friends.

It's a very subjective matter, since when soles wear out, the comfort level of the shoe changes. The thing I change out the most are the heels. When they start getting uneven, it makes walking more awkward for me. I guess you can make that judgement yourself.

The most important thing is to keep the wear away from things like the midsole and the welt. It becomes more costly when those things get damaged.

This heel is not ready to replaced, but once it starts hitting the leather, I'll swap it out.

heel.jpg

Another thing that wears out the easiest is the front tip of the shoe, especially on leather soles. You can either replace it with a metal tap (or plastic since no one does flush mounting in New York City) or have them rebuild just the tip with leather.

Metal tap flush mount:

metaltip.jpg

Leather rebuild, plastic tap + rubber topy:

repairtip.jpg

This one probably will need something soon, but I won't let it get to the welt.

tip.jpg

For a rubber outsole, you probably won't need a re-sole for a LONG time. Even if the stitching starts to go, as long as you don't see leather, you're good.

halfsole.jpg

You can always do a partial repair job, since a full re-sole + re-welt is so expensive. That way you can give your shoes or boots a few more years of life.

So I've had my Redwing Beckman (black cherry) boots for about a month now, and there are definitely some daily wear type skuffs. The store recommended I use some mink oil on them after a month so I bought some with the boots.

Question is: can I use an old dress sock to apply it? Or should I use a t-shirt? Something else entirely?

Also: should I oil the insides?

These things are very comfortable after breaking them in, and I want to take care of them for years to come. I feel like oiling them up 1x/month is the best way to do that.

So I've had my Redwing Beckman (black cherry) boots for about a month now, and there are definitely some daily wear type skuffs. The store recommended I use some mink oil on them after a month so I bought some with the boots.

Question is: can I use an old dress sock to apply it? Or should I use a t-shirt? Something else entirely?

Also: should I oil the insides?

These things are very comfortable after breaking them in, and I want to take care of them for years to come. I feel like oiling them up 1x/month is the best way to do that.

to deal with scuffs the best you really need to use a polish. find a polish you find acceptable and use that.

I personally don't use mink oil for any of my leather products, and prefer obenauf's LP. You can use your hands to apply it.

do NOT oil the insides.

don't oil your boots too frequently. once a month is too much in my opinion. the leather will start to become too easily scratched and scuffed. a wax polish will help avoid this as well.

to deal with scuffs the best you really need to use a polish. find a polish you find acceptable and use that.

I personally don't use mink oil for any of my leather products, and prefer obenauf's LP. You can use your hands to apply it.

do NOT oil the insides.

don't oil your boots too frequently. once a month is too much in my opinion. the leather will start to become too easily scratched and scuffed. a wax polish will help avoid this as well.

According to Redwing, they highly recommend against polishing these boots. The color is too hard to match without going to a cobbler.

They recommended mink oil in particular for this color and boot. I generally tend to stick with manufacturer recommendations on things like this.

I'm not against waiting longer for the first oiling, I just don't want the boots to lose their color or prematurely wear.

According to Redwing, they highly recommend against polishing these boots. The color is too hard to match without going to a cobbler.

They recommended mink oil in particular for this color and boot. I generally tend to stick with manufacturer recommendations on things like this.

I'm not against waiting longer for the first oiling, I just don't want the boots to lose their color or prematurely wear.

That's pretty much bullshit I'm afraid, but do follow their advice if you want. I wouldn't oil anything like as often as that personally.

I just don't want the boots to lose their color or prematurely wear.

unless you're spending your days intentionally kicking a pile of broken glass, I wouldn't give it too much thought.

oh- and just because RW doesn't make a matching polish doesn't mean it doesn't exist:

i50001112.jpg

(in a different tin than the Doc's polish I've used, which matches almost perfectly, but I expect it's the same thing.)

edit: to answer your most recent question:

even when I was working a landscaping job and beating the hell out of my boots every day I didn't apply obenauf's more than once every two or three months. I'm sure you can do it more frequently... but it's not going to ruin the boots not to unless you're really exposing them to caustic materials.