Shoes that look better with age...

mizanation

aries - those captoes are stunning! thread needs more like em.

thinfinn - love those red wings. i strongly prefer the stock laces, but the leather ones look good too.

____

gave my recently acquired vintage boots a good coating of obenaufs and let them sit for a couple days, then hit them with some brown kiwi polish. pics taken indoors at night with my iphone (sorry for poor quality). i think they at least give a good idea of the progression:

post-obenaufs and two days to set:

5413358433_768f95f242_z.jpg

5413358519_40793a3009_z.jpg

comparison with first polished boot:

5413358697_74a2da29e0_z.jpg

5413358847_2e70e9f80f_z.jpg

finished:

5413969822_e52ecc61a4_z.jpg

5413969962_1b8b5c7dbd_z.jpg

5413359267_6d0d4ee3d2_z.jpg

went the extra mile and gave the soles a light sandpapering and polish to clean them up too - you can kinda see it here:

5413970236_8af2cf07af_z.jpg

don't give up on your boots!

too good not to share...

some japanese guy's incredible shoes and boots collection

http://www.flickr.com/photos/chickalot06/

A couple of things I realised after looking at that.

1. I need to step up my polishing game

2. That guy is nuts

3. I don't like the White's swing last

4. I really want a pair of the #8 jump boots, are the J.crew ones the same?

5. just.... yeah.

I'm seeing all these White's SD and I'm thinking more and more that I need to get a pair. I'd love to see a profile picture of the block heel and the other heel side by side, if anybody has a photo for comparison.

This is my last white's SD acquirement. Black chrome excel. Leather sole. Natural edge. Close trim. All antique eyelets. Cap toe.

dsc_0474.jpg

dsc_0476_276346.jpg

dsc_0488.jpg

A comparison with one of my other pairs. Brown semi dress, cuban heel, 700.

dsc_0001_647065.jpg

dsc_0002.jpg

dsc_0008.jpg

dsc_0009.jpg

dsc_0012.jpg

Hey DenimJunky--Just had to repost your nice new boots.

I had a question about the brown semi-dress leather boots you posted as well--are those the regular brown semi-dress leather? They look almost black! I'm looking for some black boots but I like the hint of brown in those.

Also, how's the chromexcel leather quality compared to the semi-dress leather?

I'm debating whether to get a black chromexcel pair, a black semi-dress leather, or a brown semi-dress leather. Thanks for the help!

Just got back from a long international trip--I'll be sure to post pics of my white's when i get the chance.

Thanks, there is a a ton of snow up here so I might go ahead and do it soon. Already put some along the edge of the welt as that looked untreated, and I didn't want water seeping in there.

Same here, what works best for me is just keeping a damp rag in the office and near the front door at home. Just give the boots a quick wipedown and you'll deff prolong their life.

Those are great. I have a feeling with time and more applications of obenaufs/polish the toe area will even out more and more.

thanks! that's exactly what i'm thinking. i considered putting another layer of polish on them, but figured i should just take my time and put some wear in first...

also, i forgot to include a couple fit pics i snapped (quality is really terrible on these* - again, sorry):

5413970286_f322ef6790_z.jpg

5413359503_4dd2e2b265_z.jpg

5413970350_15d108a8cd_z.jpg

* just did some research and found out that the front-facing camera on iphone 4s is much lower resolution than the rear. mind=blown.

yea - they did that because the front camera needed to be slimmer, and they figured video quality didn't have to be perfect because it's on a phone. it's something like 1.3MP. The back one is about 5MP and has a way better sensor.

In conclusion, use the back camera

Do you have the specs on those?

Midsole Single, Top Cut, Toe Cap Leather Toe Cap (only available on plain toe style), Hardware All Antique Eyes, Leather Liner No Thanks, Edge Natural, Pull Loops No Thanks, Toe Vamp Leather Brown Semi-Dress, Sole Vibram 700, Size - Width D (medium), Heel Base Standard, Celastic Toe Box Single Celastic Toe, Last Standard, Size - Length 10, Upper (Shaft) Leather Brown Semi-Dress

Hey DenimJunky--Just had to repost your nice new boots.

I had a question about the brown semi-dress leather boots you posted as well--are those the regular brown semi-dress leather? They look almost black! I'm looking for some black boots but I like the hint of brown in those.

Also, how's the chromexcel leather quality compared to the semi-dress leather?

I'm debating whether to get a black chromexcel pair, a black semi-dress leather, or a brown semi-dress leather. Thanks for the help!

Just got back from a long international trip--I'll be sure to post pics of my white's when i get the chance.

Hieveryone, thanks a lot!

Yes, the semi dress brown ones are of regular brown. I also love that color, dark brown. And they are supposed to become sick when scuffed a bit.

Regarding chrome excel and white's own premium dress leather. To me (Im no expert) they seem almost the same. Same thickness at least.

Lets see how they wear in.

Looking forward to your pics...

lots of lovely White's being posted lately; need to control my urges and focus on leather jackets this year!

that said; i wish i didnt check out the new Alden ultimate jumper boots. I already own the #8 cordovan jumper boots but these are looking very sexy.

brown horween chrome excel and perforated cap toe, these would be a perfect substitute for the pair of Whites i wanted (and cant get since perforated cap toes are exclusive to Japan)