Shoes that look better with age...

mizanation

i want to dub my roughout boots, was wondering what type of snoseal you guys use. I found a bottle for brown leather on ebay... Most of the dubbed pairs i've seen have a dark tint so i'm guessing it's that. just curious, i'm ordering that bottle anyways.

also i'm about to wipe down my GTs, they're 2 years old in a couple weeks, i'll edit pics into this post sometime today.

5280945208_23a0739b76_z.jpg

dead ahead photo

left and right toe macros

and this photo shoes how heavy the toe curling is now.

i want to dub my roughout boots, was wondering what type of snoseal you guys use. I found a bottle for brown leather on ebay... Most of the dubbed pairs i've seen have a dark tint so i'm guessing it's that. just curious, i'm ordering that bottle anyways.

also i'm about to wipe down my GTs, they're 2 years old in a couple weeks, i'll edit pics into this post sometime today.

the only reason they look dark is cause of the oil/wax. I've only used clear sno-seal for dubbing roughout boots.

I think Obenauf's would do a great job of dubbing. I use it on all my smooth leather pairs, but I've been avoiding dubbing my roughouts, feel like it makes them look a little dark and greasy. Neither of my roughouts leak or anything..

What configuration is this called? Double leather sole with single leather midsole?

I ordered single leather with lug Vibram when I resoled. Maybe if you ordered double leather with Vibram, the part under the heel might have triple leather in that case.

i don't see why it would be a problem.

here's a family portrait of my boots

wuhi_3dd_u31k.jpg

from top left to bottom right

Red Wing 875

Whites Semi Dress (for trade)

Alden cordovan #8 jumper

Alden calf kidskin cap toe boots

Alden Roy chrome excel PTB

Alden Indy (canvas lined)

are the shoes in the middle on the bottom row the same shoes as these: http://www.theshoemart.com/alden-mens-indy-boot-plain-toe-natural-chrome-excel/pvc-ald-mxsbc-86042h_ald_m_indy_boot_plain_toe.html

I've been sliding around in the snow with my Alden 405 for a while now so I decided to buy another pair of boots. I was lucky to find a shop in Norway that had both Red Wing 875 and Red Wing GT 9013 that I could try on. I went for the Gentleman Traveler that I think fitted my foot the best. I'm posting this picture taken on my hotel room with my phone. Really happy for the buy.

photo.jpg

need some help ID'ing these...

vintage, no branding on them whatsoever, just a stamped size on the inner sole (9EE) and a number inside the ankle 690 6646

Kind of look like GT's..the shape anyways, not sure what the hell they are.

Once I have an idea what they are they will be up in the market, sadly they are too big :(

e5r0q1.jpg

feihoz.jpg

built rite soles, unworn...wish they fit!

Chicken - very cool to see the boots over time on your blog! I had mine re-soled to vibrams as well this fall - got tired of slip-sliding around in winter!

Edit: Dammit Gregory - you find the coolest shit! :)

^damn Chicken, that is some solid wear....and I know I'm always ridin on your posts but its great to see that while some of the OG don't post as often anymore, they haven't lost their roots/interests in our little denim world!

thanks guys. it's not that i've lost interest by any means. it's just that i don't have much to post regularly. plus, i'm trying to avoid temptation into buying more stuff.

happy lurking!

*moved here as I accidentally posted this in the wrong (work boots) thread.

Feit Direct - not sure if these guys from Australia have been mentioned here before? I had a pair of their Counter1 a few years ago when they were doing 'regular runs' but now they only do small made to order runs and have changed their whole philosophy & design - http://www.feitdirect.com/

Here is their latest offering - Stitchdown:

feitstitchdown.jpg

*moved here as I accidentally posted this in the wrong (work boots) thread.

Feit Direct - not sure if these guys from Australia have been mentioned here before? I had a pair of their Counter1 a few years ago when they were doing 'regular runs' but now they only do small made to order runs and have changed their whole philosophy & design - http://www.feitdirect.com/

Calling these a work boot is a insult to real work boots.

1. They are too expensive for what you get. Consider that a White's Smoke Jumper is around the same price and a Wesco Jobmaster is even cheaper, these surely are not in the same work boot territory.

2. They are more of a boot sneaker / hybrid.

3. Get some Red Wings. They are more worth the money.

I actually don't have anything against these boots. They are forward thinking and are combining the benefits of a boot and sneaker. But they need to be put in a more fashion context, and the price is a real turn off.

Calling these a work boot is a insult to real work boots.

1. They are too expensive for what you get. Consider that a White's Smoke Jumper is around the same price and a Wesco Jobmaster is even cheaper, these surely are not in the same work boot territory.

2. They are more of a boot sneaker / hybrid.

3. Get some Red Wings. They are more worth the money.

I actually don't have anything against these boots. They are forward thinking and are combining the benefits of a boot and sneaker. But they need to be put in a more fashion context, and the price is a real turn off.

I don't disagree with this.*

*however:

I only recently learned about Feit recently via Outlier's website (they are collaborating on a cycling sneaker that made of Ventile, info here)so I feel a bit silly sticking up for them. But I will say that what appeals to me about them is NOT their designs, but the potential they represent in terms of producing quality, handmade footwear (despite the fact that they currently produce pretty silly looking stuff, imo.)

This is also not to ignore that they basically make sneakers at the moment. This thread has long been a place where sneakers do not really belong. In my mind this is not because sneakers are inherently bad or ugly, but simply because this topic is generally concerned with the way that well made things endure and change, etc etc. Sneakers, generally, do not do that. I see companies like Feit as representing a sort of embryonic possibility for that to change a bit. Just imagine if you could buy sneakers that weren't totally disposable pieces of shit. Not saying they're there yet, but it's nice to imagine that it's possible.

/rant

I remember seeing an Italian guy in San Diego this summer, wearing glittery Ed Hardy washed out Diesel jeans etc, but his sneakers were impeccable. They were like CPs only no blatant gold stamp on the heel, had a pristine white sole and buttery looking tan cowhide upper.

He told me they were from Feit, and like $600 or something so I forgot about them.

Anyway their sneakers are pretty amazing if you're into that type.

Wine Santoni captoes from eBay, didn't say how old they were though so possibly 10+ years by now.

HAIuP.jpg

thanks guys. but the color shifts also have to do with the state of polish them boots had at the time, and the type of lighting/camera i used to shoot them. the last photo is quite dramatic because i shot it right after walking around everywhere, and there's a strong shadow hitting it.

evo-story behind these is fucking nice...

so you always resole after your heels showing a bit sings of wear (like in nov.2007) ?...

i always used the wear as an excuse to try something different. but i went back to honey vibrams, both for comfort and function.

Went xmas shopping with my 22yr old son today in Belfast . He picked up a pair of Loake Epsom (waxy finish and commando sole) and I picked these up for £85 (rrp £185) in a shop clearout . Wasn't intending to buy another pair of Burford as I bought the tan model about two weeks ago . But with a £100 discount it was too good to miss .

001-6.jpg