Shoes that look better with age...

mizanation

Oh man, i really think those vibram soles kill the look of those shoes.

Personally, vibram soles don't do it for me on any boot. But at least they're offering some new options. Some of the other regular leather soles look different to my Stowes and are very attractive.

moretrickers.jpg

cmo here pointed out another shop doing their own models - personally, I'm jonesing for a pair of these chocolate elastic brogues...

http://www.thebureaubelfast.com/shop/brand/1/trickers/

I checked out Present, a new-ish shop on Shoreditch High St, a couple weeks ago. A good line in custom Trickers, especially Vibram sole versions.

Don't forget to try one of their coffees.

I'd be most excited about the coffee, but thats just me. Current world barista champion pulling shots of espresso roasted by Square Mile...sign me up.

The only coffee I drink in London is at bar italia and scooterworks cafe. I'm going to have to get up to shoreditch very soon to try out the coffee there. That looks like a similar vintage machine to the one used in scooterworks.

The bureau is a great shop Paul, the guys are really helpful and generally nice chaps. They have had a few lovely looking trickers MTOs recently, I love the saddle shoes http://www.thebureaubelfast.com/shop/product/38/trickers-two-tone-saddle-oxford-shoes/ and these boots http://www.thebureaubelfast.com/shop/product/136/trickers-scotch-grain-allan-boot/. They seem to have sold out of the beautiful chocolate cordovan cap toe boots now.

At first I used sno-seal for the winter (gonna have to get on that again)

then I melted off as much as I could and used various shoe polishes. Most recently, I have been using kiwi brown polish. Seems to work pretty well.

Ah, that's what's giving them a little bit of a shine. Did you use wax or cream polish?

The toes on yours are flatter than mine. Were they like that to begin with or did it happen with wear? I've only been wearing mine off and on for 3 months so not much wear.

fre$co, you must be a rich man if you can still afford Bar Italia coffees. A double espresso mac is now £3.20. But I have to give you some scooterworks rep - is that a faema? Not an e61, but still...

As for the bureau, get thee behind me, temptation...

Edit I do remember scooterworks now I see they're in waterloo - do you know Gerald?

Have no experience with either. My feeling is that the boss looks better, but viberg offers chromexcel leather in merlot (look at demonito's pics). I don't like how the sole of the vibergs looks like it extends out far around the toe box though.

Demonito, regarding those vibergs. How much did they cost and can you post some pics of the boots looking down at the toe box?

I emailed brett (we're on a first name basis, no big deal), but I still have not been given a price on a pair of engineers with the chromexcel. This was over a month ago.

Yeah I found Brett was useless at responding too.

Paul, I don't drink doubles! my heart rate is high enough as it is. But always a macchiato. I was surprised when I went last time and saw the prices. I think it's a faema in scooterworks. I know Craig there.

i've been checking cobblers around my work to no avail, and the search hasn't pulled anything up. i've got a few nyc specific questions - or spots that will do mailorder repairs.

- who typically can do metal toe taps? i've been to 5 shops and most didn't know what they were or where to get them. i've seen a few of you in here add them to some leather soled boots.

- anyone that can do crepe resoling, specifically for a pair of p&b p500's

- what a resoling on a pair of red wing 875's would typically cost. same white crepe wedge, most likely the vibram replacement, not the red wing sole

cheers

- who typically can do metal toe taps? i've been to 5 shops and most didn't know what they were or where to get them. i've seen a few of you in here add them to some leather soled boots.

cheers

Anyone should be able to do these. I swear by them. Sometimes they are called segs or blakeys here in the UK. You could always do it yourself if you buy them off ebay.

i've been checking cobblers around my work to no avail, and the search hasn't pulled anything up. i've got a few nyc specific questions - or spots that will do mailorder repairs.

- anyone that can do crepe resoling, specifically for a pair of p&b p500's

- what a resoling on a pair of red wing 875's would typically cost. same white crepe wedge, most likely the vibram replacement, not the red wing sole

cheers

East Village Shoe Repair on St. Marks, Boris just did my Red Wings. He knows his shit, don't be discouraged by shop's looks.

On my way through a couple of states on Sunday I found a Store selling Hawthorne Iron Ranger and picked a pair up in 10.5. Got back early this morning and tried them back on for the first time since in the store, and once having the other boot laced and walking around in them on the carpet I realized that they are definitely too big. I normally wear a size 11 and did the suggested size down 1/2 but I am sure I could go down a full size. When my heel sets back in the boot I swear it is like two inches of room in the toe, not comfortable at all. So... two questions

Does everybody's foot lock into the heel like a glove, (which is super comfortable) and allow two inches of room being still comfortable?

Also, What is a smart price to sell these for? I am not driving through two states to return them, and I got them for a pretty good price and didn't have to pay shipping. $195

please chime in, or pm me if you can help at all

Oh also, How does Hawthorne wear/age? These look great brand new

redwingranger.jpg

Anybody know the difference between the 9161:

http://www.volls.de/index.php?cat=RED_WING_SHOES〈=ENG&product=RW-9161

and the regular GTs? Looks like different leather and a different sole? Haven't seen the 9161 in the states, are they a euro exclusive? If anybody has more info them it would be greatly appreciated. Thinking of getting those or the GTs in cigar...

^^ Two inches, thats like four sizes too big! I usually have some 1/4" room in my boots and just a tiny bit more in trekking boots.

that's like 0.6cm? I've always been told that you need about 1cm (or a finger) of room between your toes and the boot, still that's only half an inch or something, so 2" is def. way too big...

if the IR size anything like the GT's, going down a full size is quite normal imho, I wear a US10.5 in GT's, US11 in crepe sole RW's and 11.5 in most sneakers.

i think the 9161s are the same as the gts just with a nitrile cork sole and they come in diferent leather variations. as far as i understand just europe and japan sell em

Edmond, do you have semi-dress boots from Viberg?

I've seen Brett's blog (thanks for your kindness)

and found that Viberg also make semi-dress model.

If you got them already, take some photos please.

hi gang

nope i dont have their semi dress but they look nice what i like about viberg is their leather choices and the make damn good boots! really i like their workmanship quality of work is better than white's imo...almost like wesco but with better leather choices

yepp, they're good looking and well made boots

but seems that more expensive than White's or Wesco.

(just my guess.. couldn't find their retail prices)

ah... chromexel leather semi-dress will be fantastic